It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not Christian? You should still follow the New Testament

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Mel:

woman came from man, man is born from woman.

equal, but different roles.

since i know you don't understand: love is complete submission and service.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by NowAmFound
since i know you don't understand:

That's so arrogant I can't believe it!

love is complete submission and service.

Maybe what you call "love" is, but not my love.

[edit on 19-12-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by NowAmFound
since i know you don't understand: love is complete submission and service.

are you talking about women's role in love?
because if you are, i agree that it's sick

love is supposed to be about mutual sacrafice
about understanding and caring
about a feeling you get when you're with a special man or woman
not about submission and servitude
that's called enslavement, not love

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Funny
I'm actually talking about the man's role. But, really, any kind of love to anyone. You have alot to learn.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

Originally posted by shihulud
Eh NO!!! Neither yours nor anyone elses god gave me the ability for anything.

Yes, “I BELIEVE”, “Christians believe”, that God gave you the ability to believe that. Your belief is not necessary in this case.
If the topic is aimed at Non christians then my belief is necessary but you cleared it up by stating that you and the other christians believe that your god gave me abilities.

Dumb it down for me will ya.
No problem, What I am saying is why should we follow, study or read the NT to live a similar moral and ethical life without following any religious text?

The values in the NT can be and are lived by WITHOUT even reading the NT.

Yes and you can discover mathematics on your own but most people find that listening to a learned teacher speeds that process up a bit.
Would that be your or my interpretation of a learned teacher?

Originally posted by yeahright

Which I believe is accurate, if irrelevant. The point was to find beneficial passages, "words of wisdom" applicable to anyone, Christian believer or not. The fact that universal truths can indeed be found, um...universally, isn't a shock.
This may be so, but 'words of wisdom' can be found in many texts, so why should the NT have the greater monopoly???

G

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 08:39 AM
link   

If the topic is aimed at Non Christians then my belief is necessary but you cleared it up by stating that you and the other Christians believe that your god gave me abilities.

No, the point of this thread (as I've mentioned 1000 times) is to quote the verses that are good for anyone to follow, the verses that require NO faith.

And yes, we believe in many things that you may not agree with.

No problem, What I am saying is why should we follow, study or read the NT to live a similar moral and ethical life without following any religious text?

I would certainly prefer if you followed the "religious text" but the point of this exercise to to show that the bible holds many truths, truths that are universal in nature, truths that require no faith and would benefit anyone putting them into practice in their life.

Would that be your or my interpretation of a learned teacher?

That would be someone that has studied the Bible, usually a theologian. But you are right, we can certainly learn from regular people too.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 08:48 AM
link   

If the topic is aimed at Non Christians then my belief is necessary but you cleared it up by stating that you and the other Christians believe that your god gave me abilities.

No, the point of this thread (as I've mentioned 1000 times) is to quote the verses that are good for anyone to follow, the verses that require NO faith.
Well, your title is a little misleading if this is your purpose, as Im a non christian but have no intention of following the NT.
However, I could possibly find in these books quotes that require no faith but I could just as easily use any book so my point would be why follow the NT when other texts are just as useful?

G

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Well, your title is a little misleading if this is your purpose

If the title is misleading to you the opening post should have cleared things up.

The purpose has been mentioned 1000 times, over and over it's been mentioned. If you fail to read or understand that I won't argue because one only need to read the thread to realize it.

Im a non christian but have no intention of following the NT.

I can't force or make you do anything, just like I didn't force you to click on this thread and comment.

However, I could possibly find in these books quotes that require no faith but I could just as easily use any book so my point would be why follow the NT when other texts are just as useful?

Yes universal truths can be found in many places, however this (I know you read the title) is a discussion about the New Testament.

If you like may I suggest that you feel free to start another thread on truths found in other works?

[edit on 12/20/2006 by kinglizard]

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Well, your title is a little misleading if this is your purpose

If the title is misleading to you the opening post should have cleared things up.

The purpose has been mentioned 1000 times, over and over it's been mentioned. If you fail to read or understand that I won't argue because one only need to read the thread to realize it.

I know what your thread is about, I'm just wondering why your monopolising the NT as some sort of be all, end all life guide, when obviously a non christian really doesnt give a rats ass whats contained within its joint rolling pages. What I'm trying to understand is why you think I should follow the NT over Blade Runner or The Lord of the Rings as they all have pertinent messages for human life and are all fables.

Or are you wanting to get a wee christian group together to rattle off some non-faithful phrases from the bible that are probably available in other non religious texts. Either that or your thread is a complete waste of time and effort as I as a non christian see no reason to follow the NT for any of the reasons you give nor to read through it to find universal phrases - I mean isn't that the point of a universal phrase in that you can find it anywhere, so why bother with the Bible????????

G

G

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I created this thread on the NT because it happens to be the Book, the word that I know and follow.

You shouldn't feel obligated to do anything you don't want to do. Nor should you feel obligated to keep repeating yourself in this thread. If you find it of no use then pass it by, ignore it, stop clicking on the link for heavens sake.

[edit on 12/21/2006 by kinglizard]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join