It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not Christian? You should still follow the New Testament

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Even if you do not believe in God, Christianity or Jesus you should still read and study the teachings found in the New Testament.....if followed it will make you happier more loving and understanding of others and yourself. You will not fall into many of the negative trappings of living in this world.

Do you know of any NT passages that would be beneficial to all people regardless of the faith held by the individual?

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I do not know of any specific readings but I would like to add to this discussion.

I recomend one reads the Quran (or Koran if you want it spelt that way). You do not need to be of the Muslim faith to appreciate the beauty contained within its pages.

Just thought I would throw it out there.

Another great post kinglizard.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   
No I've never read the Quran but the stated purpose of this thread is "Not Christian? You should still follow the New Testament" so I prefer if we concentrate on...well...the NT.

I do realize though that you are making more of theological statement with bringing up a different faith and the Quran so no, your post is not lost on me.

Thanks spines.

Edit: spines if you really have beautiful Quran verses to share why don't you start a new thread on it.

[edit on 12/17/2006 by kinglizard]

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
This is one of my favorite verses that doesn't require faith:

1 Corinthians 13:4-7 NIV

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Edn

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   
The new testament as with the whole bible has some nice story's and some very good advice and I agree could help make your life a little happier but then the same should be said to the Quran, Buddhist teachings and the teachings of many other religions. Buddhism was my choice but I find a lot of good (as well as bad) teachings in many other religions not to mention learning a little about many religions greatly improves your understanding of the world around you and how people work and live there life's.

Back on topic though I haven't read all of the new testament, in fact I've only read a few passages here and there its unfortunately one of the few books i find quite difficult to read. The passage you posted kinglizard I find very nice its most definitely one to live by.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Well, I shall post what I find to be a beautiful passage from the NT.

While I may not follow the bible as fact and I may not believe in God's existense I can still find some of its writings, as with the Quran, beautiful. The best place for beautifully written material is, in my humble opinion, The Book of Psalms.

As the deer pants for streams of water,
so my soul pants for you, O God.

I just love the image and the poetic brilliance of the piece. I do not take any spiritual satisfaction from the passage. But rather, I enjoy it for its beauty alone.

EDIT: It is Psalm 42 I believe.

[edit on 12/17/0606 by spines]

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   
kinglizard: My favorite. Actually didn't know what love was until I read this a few years ago. The bible and this scripture have changed my life.

spines: Yes, very beautiful.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Kinglizard, you are correct. I can think of no better teaching than the teaching of "Love thy neighbor" that Christ expounded.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Apart from the misogyny and homophobia the NTs not a bad guide.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Remember, Christianity has been instrumental in advancing female rights and equality. Jesus taught that everyone is equal and loved by God. There was no misogyny in His message.

P.S. Come to think of it, no homophobia either. The bible makes a statement of the wrongness of the action of homosexuality, not the worth of the individuals who engage in it.

[edit on 17-12-2006 by NowAmFound]

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by NowAmFound
Remember, Christianity has been instrumental in advancing female rights and equality. Jesus taught that everyone is equal and loved by God. There was no misogyny in His message.

P.S. Come to think of it, no homophobia either. The bible makes a statement of the wrongness of the action of homosexuality, not the worth of the individuals who engage in it.

[edit on 17-12-2006 by NowAmFound]

The NT paints a rather different picture. Just one example - Husbands should love their wives, but women should submit to their husbands.

The status of women is clearly stated throughout.

As for homophobia, stating the action is wrong is enough to classify. But the NT goes further with Paul stating they are 'worthy of death'. Even effeminate men get a hard time. Guess it depends on your interpretation though.

[edit on 18-12-2006 by melatonin]

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by spines
Well, I shall post what I find to be a beautiful passage from the NT.

While I may not follow the bible as fact and I may not believe in God's existense I can still find some of its writings, as with the Quran, beautiful. The best place for beautifully written material is, in my humble opinion, The Book of Psalms.

As the deer pants for streams of water,
so my soul pants for you, O God.

I just love the image and the poetic brilliance of the piece. I do not take any spiritual satisfaction from the passage. But rather, I enjoy it for its beauty alone.

EDIT: It is Psalm 42 I believe.

[edit on 12/17/0606 by spines]
Just so you know PALSMS are in th OT not the NT.

On Topic: There are maybe a few good life guides in the NT but that still doesnt mean that you should follow the NT even if your are not christian. I see no reason to change my lifestyle which BTW has some of the NT life guides in it just because I read part of the bible.
Morals, ethics , love etc is not the soul domain of christianity or any religion - You can be a non-theist and still live by the same good values as any religionite.

G

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by shihulud
On Topic: There are maybe a few good life guides in the NT but that still doesnt mean that you should follow the NT even if your are not christian. I see no reason to change my lifestyle which BTW has some of the NT life guides in it just because I read part of the bible.
Morals, ethics , love etc is not the soul domain of christianity or any religion

Yes, God gave you the ability to choose.

Originally posted by shihulud
You can be a non-theist and still live by the same good values as any religionite.

Did you even read my post?

The ENTIRE point of this thread is to show those that have NO faith that they can still follow the NT's teachings because it's full of good values and direction for EVERYONE regardless of faith!

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by melatonin
The NT paints a rather different picture. Just one example - Husbands should love their wives, but women should submit to their husbands.

Is this what you were talk about?

Ephesians 5:22-33
22 Wives should be subordinate to their husbands as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is head of his wife just as Christ is head of the church, he himself the savior of the body. 24 As the church is subordinate to Christ, so wives should be subordinate to their husbands in everything. 25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ loved the church and handed himself over for her 26 to sanctify her, cleansing her by the bath of water with the word, 27 that he might present to himself the church in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. 28 So (also) husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one hates his own flesh but rather nourishes and cherishes it, even as Christ does the church, 30 because we are members of his body. 31 "For this reason a man shall leave (his) father and (his) mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh." 32 This is a great mystery, but I speak in reference to Christ and the church. 33 In any case, each one of you should love his wife as himself, and the wife should respect her husband.

So what do we find when we look at how a man following the New Testament will treat his wife?

That the husband must treat his wife as Christ treats the church. How does Christ treat us? He serves us. He loves, unconditionally and always. He adores us. He understands us. He allows us to choose our own path, saying only that he will love us no matter what path we choose. He wants us to love him back, but does not force himself on us. He is patient with us, never striking us down. He does not mock us when we are ugly. When we are low he lifts us up. When we fall, he cleans us off. He is always there for us when we get our whims.

In fact, he treats us exactly how he expects us to treat EVERYONE, not just our wives. And the wives must be submissive, just as men must also be submissive to EVERYONE. The difference is that in order to remember that we are not to “dominate” our wives, to treat them unkindly, Christ made sure that a little extra warning be added. Not because our wives are to be our slaves, but to make it clear that we must remember to honor and love our wives, as some men have a tendency to mistreat women and Christ does not want that.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Reading the bible will not make me happier or more loving or more understanding of anything. More likely, because of the current convoluted and inaccuate English 'translations' of the bible, the writings about women and homosexuality (interpreted by men with an agenda) will only serve to make me sick and pissed off.

And I have no problems falling into the negative trappings of living in this world.

Originally posted by melatonin
Just one example - Husbands should love their wives, but women should submit to their husbands.

Yeah, like I said above...
But if the original writings about women were still in the bible, the church wouldn't be able to get away with the suppression of women they so rely on.

As for homophobia, stating the action is wrong is enough to classify. But the NT goes further with Paul stating they are 'worthy of death'. Even effeminate men get a hard time. Guess it depends on your interpretation though.

I guess it does indeed depend on interpretation... Seeing as how there was no term for homosexuality in the original languages of the bible.

There is no term that means homosexual orientation in the original Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek texts of the Bible. The authors of the Bible did not understand sexual orientation and thus did not write about it.

Source

So, no thanks. I'm happier, more loving and more understanding without the bible in my list of reading materials.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I guess it does indeed depend on interpretation... Seeing as how there was no term for homosexuality in the original languages of the bible.

There is no term that means homosexual orientation in the original Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek texts of the Bible. The authors of the Bible did not understand sexual orientation and thus did not write about it.

Guess that's why they didn't use that term, instead it says:

Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable. [NIV Leviticus 18:22]

If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable.[NIV Leviticus 20:13]

[edit on 12/18/2006 by kinglizard]

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Anyway please lets get back to sharing verses from the NT.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Here's some pretty good advice- Phillippians 4:8
"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things honest, whatsoever things just, whatsoever things pure, whatsoever things lovely, whatsoever things of good report; if any virtue, and if any praise, think on these things."

This is often appropriate
- Acts 9:5
"...it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks."

One of my favorites- I Tim. 5:23
"Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities."

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
melatonin:

yes, their status is proclaimed! men are commanded to love their wives. one who is loved holds the greatest of status positions--uneclipsed. funny, woman are told only to submit to their husbands..."men, you mut love your wives. wives, when your man makes a decision, um, listen to him."
i take it you don't know what the bible says about love?

again, you are confused. a person's worth exceeds their actions. when one is saved, all their prior misdeeds are erased and an urge to comply with God is experienced. anyone still partaking in misdeeds with no effort or desire to discontinue such practices is not saved. those people deserve death under the law and will get it at judgement. of course there are saved homosexuals, saved murderers...those labels no longer apply after salvation.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable. [NIV Leviticus 18:22]

If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable.[NIV Leviticus 20:13]

A. That's the Old Testament.
B. It's still an incorrect translation from the original language.
C. A www.religioustolerance.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink">word-by-word analysis of the verses you contributed above translate to:

And with a male thou shalt not lie down in beds of a woman; it is an abomination. That is, "rather than forbidding male homosexuality, it simply restricts where it may occur."

You should really check out some of the information from the link I posted. Or not...

Many conservative Christians trust the KJV and NIV. Thus, when they read some of the passages that clearly and unmistakably condemn homosexuality, they are inclined to trust the translators and conclude that God hates homosexuality.

Originally posted by kinglizard
Anyway please lets get back to sharing verses from the NT.

God is love

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join