It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Aircraft Design

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
A team from Cambridge and MIT have come up with a new aircraft design. It is supposed the be about twenty five percent more fuel efficient then today's air craft.

With a radical new shape, its designers believe it will use 25 percent less fuel that today's planes and be no louder than a car driving down your street.

The research team from the Cambridge-MIT Institute, a collaboration between the two universities and backed by the British government, have spent the last seven years working on a "silent" jet, focussing on noise reduction as the primary design point.

The result is a design unlike the cylindrical fuselage of today's passenger aircraft that it is hoped will be 25 decibels quieter. Resembling a single flying wing, the jet, called the SAX-40, incorporates a "blended-wing" design that smoothly blends the conventional wings of a plane into a wide tailless body.

The stories do go on the say not to expect to see it fly until about 2030, so don't hold your breath. However if the figures listed are correct I do hope it will get the financial backing it needs so that it will come to be.

[edited to correct title and text -nygdan]

[edit on 17-12-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   
What's so revolutionary about it?

It looks like a Boeing BWB with some aesthetics.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
What's so revolutionary about it?

It looks like a Boeing BWB with some aesthetics.

Shattered OUT...

It did not look that much like anything that I had seen before. But the main point is if they can get twenty five percent more efficiency I would really like to see it happen.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
hmmmm......looks suspiciously like artist's concept drawings of aurora....if it actually exists that is (cough cough):

aurora

[edit on 17-12-2006 by snafu7700]

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Your right it does look kina like the Aurora. So now I wonder just how well the Aurora worked, it might give an idea just how well this plane might work.

[edit on 17-12-2006 by RedGolem]

Mod Edit: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 17/12/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   
The only thing that it shares with the Aurora pictured is the vertical stabilizer and the fact that it's a blended wing body.

Well I just think that this concept is something that can easily be achievable by the Boeing BWB. The Boeing BWB prototype also has many efficiences too.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies

Well I just think that this concept is something that can easily be achievable by the Boeing BWB. The Boeing BWB prototype also has many efficiences too.

Well if Boeing does already have this design I do hope they will put it into production for its efficiency. And I got to agree, Boeing would be the company to make it work.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 10:39 PM
link   
It's a nice design, but I wouldn't exactally call it "New". This kind of wing/body blending has been around for years. It was a nice find though.

Tim

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost01
It's a nice design, but I wouldn't exactally call it "New". This kind of wing/body blending has been around for years.

Thanks Ghost

Who knows maby there will be more about it in the news.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Just some information on Boeing's work with BWB designs. I don't mean to beat a dead horse but as has been said nothing really "new".

BWB Aircraft PDF

Boeing X-48

Future BWB Designs

Wiki X-48

Redundant But More Informative Link

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Just some information on Boeing's work with BWB designs. I don't mean to beat a dead horse but as has been said nothing really "new".

Thanks for all the links West Point. That was a lot of good information.

new topics

top topics

join