It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afterlife Is Bad Either Way?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Afterlife Is Bad Either Way?

think about it, theres 3 options:-

1) reincarnation - your born again in another life, therefore we won't see our loved ones ever again in heaven (parents/wife/children) they are just gone

Many tenets of reincarnation hold that people are connected throughout incarnations. For example, a soulmate may be your brother or sister in one life, your lover the next, or a parent in the next, etc.

2) heaven - what happens if you don't like being 'you', your stuck being 'you' EVEN WHEN YOU DIE

An interesting angle, but if heaven is truly all it is promised to be, then ideally you could reshape and change your perceived appearance, personality flaws, etc. The real problem with "heaven" is the eventual tedium of perfection...would be pretty boring.

3) nothing - when we die we die 'nothing awaits us'.

either way, its poo...your views?

If this is the case, no use crying over spilt milk, eh?

You forgot "Hell" or the "Abyss" as an option held by some. Of course, that would seemingly be a bad fate as well, hehe....

I'm sure there are plenty of others, but most fall into these types of afterlife beliefs.

Oddly enough, another member mentioned the "What Dreams May Come" movie. I love this film, because it illustrates my beliefs pretty well. A true "heaven" would be like this, a pocket Universe, where you can create all, and still set a level of control, to occassionally allow for surprises. Thing is, without conflict, life is dull, and we humans thrive on challenges, regardless of how we compain about them. Think of ANYTHING you do to relax, and then realize it involves conflict. Whether playing a game, watching a movie or tv show, or reading a book, etc. Without conflict, life is dull, so your own heaven must have some kind of conflict.

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   
There could be as many types of afterlife as there are people and, there's nnothing to say it is one fixed afterlife. My personal veiw is that this life, the one to come and even the one before are all part of an eternal progression not some fixed type of eternal state of bliss, that would be boring in the extreme. It could be that on passing over we are very much like our earth selves but we evolve and become enlightened, gradually shedding individual ego and becoming part of the whole or nirvana, perhaps sometimes souls choose to reincarnate to brush up on a few life lessons. 'My Fathers House has Many Rooms' may be more telling than we thought.

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   
How can anything be boring to us in the afterlife when our emotions will no longer exist as they do in the physical? There are no emotions in the spirit, only existence.

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
How can anything be boring to us in the afterlife when our emotions will no longer exist as they do in the physical? There are no emotions in the spirit, only existence.

so do we lose our humanity in heaven?
is our curiosity fulfilled?
our yearning to create more?

honestly, if heaven means i'm no longer the same person
i'd take hell

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

honestly, if heaven means i'm no longer the same person
i'd take hell

I agree it almost sounds as final and bleak as non existence when it's put like that.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   

well, many thinkers have brought up the perpeptual bliss problem with heaven

what if you get bored of heaven, what then?

Boredom is a product of discontent, which is nonexistant in perpetual bliss.

[edit on 28/12/2006 by AkashicWanderer]

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
It's easy to image a Hell. Pain and misery and flames etc. That's why Dantes Inferno is the best known of his works.

But Eternal Bliss.... the basic trouble with Heaven is that it doesn't sound right. It's too hard to imagine. No matter how nice a guy God may be, staring at His face eternally, singing his praises blissfully just sounds.... pointless and boring. I have a fairly short attention span as it is. If that's what God expects from us, then he must be some kind of Ultimate Egocentric. Creating the Universe so that it may tell him how great he is.

If Heaven is what awaits me, and as others have said, it's only one possibility, I hope it has a bit more Texture and Detail to it than what's been promised.

[edit on 28-12-2006 by emjoi]

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sneaking Suspicion

In reincarnation, you remember not much of anyhting, and you find new loved ones.

I have another little pet theory on this subject. Like the other pet theories I occasionally toss out there it has no evidence to support it.

I think we have to reincarnate into a completely differant culture. (Stick with me here) We live our lives as say a westerner in a western society, speaking english and living in a somewhat advanced society (By this planets standards) and then we finally die.

Upon reincarnation we are born into an asian culture with a new language to learn and new rules to live by and a whole new culture to adapt to. We are so busy learning of our new life that all that might have came before is smothered away.

Just a pet thought.

wupy

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Well,you are correct in the sense that our curiosity is fulfilled. We know and see all from the realm of the spirit. Past,present and future is laid out in front of us. It is where all is truly revealed.

As far as losing our humanity,I have a question for you to consider. If it wasn't for the existence of physicalness, what would any sense of humanity be? You see, in the physical humanity only comes into play because there is a physical object,our body, that we can relate to. When one is in the spirit, we have no such construct. We just are. There is a beingness there,but not in the sense that there is something we can point and say, "See, that is me."

Yearning to create more? I don't exactly follow what you mean.

[edit on 28-12-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Yearning to create more? I don't exactly follow what you mean.

mainly in the realms of literature and the arts

artists wouldn't paint
musicians would have no reason to write music
writers would feel no compulsion to share with the world

if heaven is as you have laid it out, i honestly think that my life is better and would rather cease to exist

your heaven seems just as pointless as my ceasing to exist

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 12:40 AM
link   

mainly in the realms of literature and the arts

artists wouldn't paint
musicians would have no reason to write music
writers would feel no compulsion to share with the world

if heaven is as you have laid it out, i honestly think that my life is better and would rather cease to exist

your heaven seems just as pointless as my ceasing to exist

Well,sense all of that will be,at least from what I have come to believe and understand, accessible without effort,there will be no need. Everything will be in its completed form in heaven.

I know it's hard to imagine such a state...but...I am just telling you the conclusions that I have come to. Now, being someone who does believe in reincarnation,yeah...that's where some of my unorthodoxy comes in,I think that by the time we are advanced enough spiritually to reach heaven, most of the things you all are putting such emphasis on will mean little to the spirit...

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I can understand how we become so spiritually advanced that we eventually exist in a perpetual state of now in perfect fulfillment and knowledge but only at the end of a very long road and even then I suspect that the nature of an afterlife, like an earth life, is cyclical and that it begins all over again.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   
For those of you who doubt the existence of the afterlife here is an ongoing scientific study being done at the University of Arizona that proves that consciousness survives death.

veritas.arizona.edu...

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   
There is no evidence to support the existence of a heaven other than in the minds of believers. Whatever denomination of faith you belong to or your personal interpretations of biblical promises you have to accept primarily that heaven is a ficticious dimension conjoured up to keep a stranglehold on the faithfull with mythical promises.
Hell is another mythical 'retirement home' for the bad members of the human race and another carrot to lure the christian donkeys into the fire and brimstone fear factor and back into the arms of organised religion.
Neither have any factual credibility unless you subscribe to thier distorted doctrines and abandon common sense.
Reincarnation is really a safety harness of hope with a foggy vision of a renewed second chance of life.
There's also the hypothetical theory that your 'essence' or concsiousness may be stranded in this physical dimension as a spirit or ghost and it is this theory that I am most drawn to believe.
Whatever piece of this jigsaw you clutch to there's always one more logical theory and that is that we simply expire and that's the end of us for eternity.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I think the afterlife will have levels of existence. I don't think that just because we are in the spirit that we have reached the pinnacle of what we are, only God has reached that point. So, the afterlife is just as much a teacher to us as this physical plane is.

To think we do not have creative powers, ability, or even creative desire in the afterlife doesn't make sense to me. If God feels the need to create, which he has passed on to us in the physical plane, why would he then remove that from us in the afterlife? He wouldn't. Creation is core of all life.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I strongly believe (which is not the same as knowing for all you pedants) that we are here to learn and that love and knowledge are the two main things we take with us, not leave at the door. All the experiences we have on this plane of existence shape what we become in the next life.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join