It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paracord

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Could anyone tell me how heavy loads can a normal paracord take?
And is it suitable as a lean-to etc. construction material? How does it take prolonged exposure to sun, water or freezing?

I'm thinking about adding some lengths of it to my survival kit...

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Some paracords can lift 450-550lb (depends on what kind you have) and is extremely durable. You certainly can use it for making shelters and other things. It will be very valuble. I suggest you put as much as you can it a kit because there are many uses for it.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   
The british army lives on paracord. I used to cram as much as i could into my bergen it has 1000000 different uses.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Para cord has a max tolerance on a dry day in sun light of 550 lbs (perfect conditions ect)

en.wikipedia.org...

A wiki link i know, but its a good guide. Shelters, traps, litters, spilnts...the lot can be made from para cord.

Great stuff, and stupidly cheap.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I bought tons of it years ago & it is used very frequently.
Camping, securing a Christmas tree to your truck, I even laced my saddle bags across my rear fender with it. It is the duct tape of rope.

I recommend buying a few hundred feet and observe how ofter you need it.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 01:19 AM
link   
25mm wide nylon or other synthetic fibre tape - is in many instances better than paracord - it comes in 15m rolls and can replace paracord in 75% of situations - pluss do things that paracord cannot

also dyneema slings - they are expensive - but i have at least one attached to every bag i own .

the slings are rated @ 22 KN - thats a fail safe loading of > 1000 kilograms

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
In Finnish Army we practicaly never used tapes or paracord type strings, everything was attached with "trickwire" (Jekkulanka in Finnish military slang) a 0.7mm steel line, it was used from attaching a lantern to the tent, to it's original purpose setting up "pipe-explosive charges" (Politically correct name for the good 'ol Pipemine)
I have no bad things to say about the stuff, amazingly versatile.

[edit on 2-1-2007 by northwolf]

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
hey , NORTHWOLF . wire is indeed amazingly versitile , i have a roll of MIG welding wire and a paire of tese pliers :

around the house , and use them for all manner of repairs and inovation

the pliers allow the wire to be neatly twisted for a strong joint / loop

they are not vital - but far easier , neater and more secure .

also you cannot [ easily ] make a rabit snare with dynemma tape , but nor is it practical to make a belt from piano wire

i guess what i am trying to say - is that you need different materials for different tasks

the reall challenge for a survialist [ with finite volume and mass limit in his BoB ] is to parse down the list of " neat ideas " to a list that you will have to trust your life to ,

you cannot take everything -- though it never stops me attempting to

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Darn right!!! I have a pair of them too.

Used them alot in the military and also in my trade of shipbuilding. They are very handy...Excellent point. Gotta shove off now..ships to build.

Thanks,
Orangetom

join