Originally posted by WyrdeOne
The ability to see the enemy coming is incredibly important, and so is the ability to force your enemy into a bottleneck,
Very true. I think a CCTV or Airphone system
is key in defending your castle.
It's not that expensive to install a standard three camera airphone system (UPS included) and even if it were, it's well worth it.
Hell, even a dead cam would help deter possible intruders.
A few of these have already been mentioned, but here's a list of factors to consider when thinking of how to defend your castle:
- Standoff space: The visible distance between your home and a perimeter of some sort (more is better).
- Visibility: having some way to see outside without having outsiders looking in is idea. If cameras are not possible, one way blinds or pull-downs
- Deter: Dogs, cameras, fences, heavy locks, steel doors, bars on windows, etc... you get the point.
- Perimeter: Having a high fence is great and (as dr_strangecraft
said) will give you more time to stop an intruder (shoot him). Motion
detectors work great, the ones with the spotlights are even better.
- Fortify: Heavy locks, dead bolts, thick doors, FEBR windows and walls (a little pricey), bunkers (great idea with the logs, Sri Oracle
Defend: Guns, slingshots, knives, booby traps, you get the idea....
Logistics AKA beans, bullets and band-aids: A good idea is always maintain a 30 day supply of food and water, but some of us have alot more than that
stashed back. Also medical supplies, books, gear, spare batteries, etc...
Communication: Radios, cell phones, hard-line phones, etc...
Evacuation: Have a plan to evacuate and rehearse it with your family. Establish rally points not far from your home, so you and the family can met up
later. Have a plan make sure EVERYONE knows it!
Safe-Haven: This is often overlooked, but it's a great idea to have one room (probably a big closet) that is used as a safe-haven...a place where you
and you family can make a last stand, your own little ALAMO
. Have everything in there that you would normally keep in your regular supply
stash...guns, lots of ammo, food, water and comm gear (maybe even NBC). Your safe-haven should be like Ft. Knox. Hard-lined doors, fresh air supply,
etc.. If you can't do all that atleast make sure you have some sort of defensive cover to buy you some time while the intruders are beating on the
door....and when they knock it down, all hell breaks loose! Let 'em have it...unload!
[edit on 17/12/2006 by SportyMB]