It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Ten Junk Science stories for 2006!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

1. Some Real Inconvenient Truth.
2. Board of Health or Bored of Science?
3. What Hurricane Season?
4. Day of Reckoning for DDT Foes?
5. Cosmic ray study fails to penetrate lead-lined media.
6. Stem cell fraud and futility.
7. Low-fat diet myth busted.
8. Woodpecker Racket.
9. Food police indict SpongeBob Squarepants.
10. California�s Not-so-deadly Air.

Interesting stuff. You have got to realize that most studies have one goal. The goal is making money. Scientist realize that fear mongering always gets the grants. Saying everything is fine gets you nothing.

I love the fact that ALGORE gets slammed in this report.

Also, why haven't lawsuits been filed over these so-called Hurricane experts predicitons? The dire warnings of a horrendous hurricane season drove up the gas prices. There has been talk of "Global Warming" lawsuits, so why not sue the hurricane forecasters for being wrong about it?

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Global Warming is real. Maybe it's not obvious for you folks living in temperate regions, but as a dude who's lived his whole life in the tropics (see my coordinates, I'm just 3 degrees north of the equator) I can assure you that the ambient temperature is getting hotter -- I've been keeping track since I was 9 years old. At that time temperatures were averaging 27-29 Celsius during the day. Now at 23 years of age the ambient temperature during the day is easily above 34 degrees, reaching 38 on some still days with no wind.

Now whether it's because of the greenhouse gas emissions we modern folk release from our daily practices or because of cosmic/solar rays or something else, I really don't know. But as I've pointed out in this post, the fact that we humans may not be solely responsible of it doesn't let us off the hook. We still need safe, sustainable environmental policies.

All of us, starting with the developed nations who are what other nations aspire to be. If the developed world doesn't take the lead, how is that going to motivate developing world to adopt sustainable practices? If the developed world forsakes Mother Nation in favour of bling, why would third world nations not sell themselves down the river in favour of bling? It has to start somewhere.

Forget the bickering. Forget the scaremongering. Forget the finger pointing. We all live on this giant ball of a rock we can't escape. We should all take care of her, together.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Fox News??? They don't even know what the hell junk science is. My husband is a scientist and had a good laugh over that one. There's a reason why it's called Faux News.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady

Fox News??? They don't even know what the hell junk science is. My husband is a scientist and had a good laugh over that one. There's a reason why it's called Faux News.

Uhhmmm FOX NEWS reported the story, ahead of others, as usual.

The report comes from Junkscience.com.

www.junkscience.com...

Your husband is a scientist? It is a noble profession. What is his opinion on the battle for grants? My opinion is that the more alarming the study, the more money you are likely to recieve in grants.

[edit on 16-12-2006 by RRconservative]

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Your husband is a scientist? It is a noble profession. What is his opinion on the battle for grants? My opinion is that the more alarming the study, the more money you are likely to recieve in grants.[edit on 16-12-2006 by RRconservative]

I asked him and he said he doesn't really know about grants, since he's never had to ask for one. He did viral research for the state and other jobs like that, so didn't need to apply. He did say "you have to know somebody, it really helps." Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
[...]He did say "you have to know somebody, it really helps."

[...]

Works like that in life in general I'd say. It's the way it is here where I am for pretty much anything.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Yeah, in the little town that I am from,about 12,000 people, if you don't "know somebody" who is somebody, you are not going to get a job making over minimum wage. Having to "know someone" is just part of being able to be successful in life. Period.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   
There's two in that list that really grate on me, and one that just irritates me.

1. Global warming is happening! We have ice cores that show climate history as far back as 800,000 years! The most significant correlation to temperature is carbon dioxide. Those who still believe it to be happening, but don't believe it to be man-made should still be worried. We will be facing unknown conditions that may not be hospitable to humans. We can make some climate predictions, but others are far more difficult.

Besides, I'm getting really sick of these winters without snow here in Wisconsin. Cold without snow makes for a really craptastic winter.

3. So the NOAA got it wrong. Are they supposed to be infallible with regards to weather? Weather isn't climate. Climate is an overall pattern for a region, whereas weather is the conditions for a small windows of time. I can confidently say that snow in Florida is extremely, extremely, extremely rare, but don't ask me about the weather there for tomorrow. It's like saying that an EMT, who can't predict what she'll be doing next week, isn't qualified to say what she'll be doing in general a year from now.

6. Hwang Woo Suk's fraud pulled the proverbial rug out from under a lot of very promising research projects. After he publicized his "results", a lot of those projects lost their funding, and then subsequently didn't recover, or recovered very slowly, or even had to start all over. It was the story the press negligently ignored, except by Technology Review.

[edit on 12/16/2006 by supercheetah]

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I always understood that global warming will actually cause temperatures to fall for awhile causing a semi-ice age.

I remember reading, or watching or hearing..I watched it, on Discovery, maybe History, about the famous Delaware Crossing painting, and how, when examining it closer, you can see that the oarmen are not rowing, but acutally pushing and pulling along the large ice blocks. The Delaware river doesn't freeze anymore. I found thithis

By far, one of the most famous American paintings is that of George Washington's crossing of the Delaware River during the winter of 1776-1777. While many heroic depictions like these have been cited as overly zealous, this famous painting by Emanuel Leutze is remarkably accurate to the environment, crossing an icepack. Today the Delaware River, being located at the 38th to 42nd parallel north, rarely freezes.

I don't know if all that fits the data of the current warming trend, CO2 and O3 levels and such, but IMO, if the ambient air temperature is rising, it may be more of a localized anomalie, rather than a global anomalie.

:edit: sorry, didn't add anything to the thread premise.

The article is an editorial, so it's based solely on opinion. Take that for what it's worth.
[edit on 17-12-2006 by nextguyinline]

[edit on 17-12-2006 by nextguyinline]

new topics

top topics

join