It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World weather

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Here is an interesting link;
World Loop

I enjoy seeing the earth from as many different perspectives as possible.

I still wonder what causes the wind to blow. Even, what causes the jet stream? Does anybody know?

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 06:11 AM
link   

It's nice to get a larger perspective on things.

apc

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I prefer water vapor images... you can actually see the airflow regardless of cloud density.

As far as what makes wind, the rotation of the planet and warming from the sun. The jet stream? I don't know for a fact but I'd imagine it's just the path of least resistance through high/low pressure zones.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by angryScientist
I still wonder what causes the wind to blow. Even, what causes the jet stream? Does anybody know?

The simplest answer is differentials. The energy for them comes from all over, but the primary source is the sun.

The complete answer involves thermo and fluid dynamics.

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Thank you both for your answers. I value your perspectives. They sound very much like what I have been taught.

My gut is telling me that there is more to it. I am not superstitious but I must pay attention to this feeling because it has been correct in the past.

Somebody tried to tell me that the world moves to the west. As a child I thought the same thing. Through study I learned other wise.

Religion taught us that the world was flat. We now know better. I looks like I must unravel some more mysteries to know the real truth.

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by angryScientist
Somebody tried to tell me that the world moves to the west. As a child I thought the same thing. Through study I learned other wise.

What do you mean by "moves to the west"? Based on what I know the Earth rotates counter clockwise about it's axis where the northern pole is "up" for orientation. Also, what did you learn? How do you think it moves?

Religion taught us that the world was flat. We now know better. I looks like I must unravel some more mysteries to know the real truth.

What religion? As far as I know, neither the Bible, the Torah, nor the Koran ever say the earth is flat. I'm sure some followers at various points may have thought that, but in general records show that people and most religions have known about the spherical Earth for thousands of years.

It sounds like you were fed a lot of bad info and are coming to learn so.

new topics

top topics

join