It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AMEN !! A Counter to the Christian Right!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 09:46 AM
link   
nytimes.com...

"There's been a concerted effort by Christian conservatives to question the faith of people who disagree with their positions in the same way that they question their patriotism. The Clergy Leadership Network will now be the amen corner for people of faith who express disagreement with the administration and the Christian Right."

The new group's roughly 25-member committee is predominantly composed of Protestant Christians. It includes prominent figures like the Rev. William Sloane Coffin, who was a leader in the Civil Rights movement and the anti-Vietnam War movement, and the Rev. Joan Brown Campbell, former general secretary of the National Council of Churches. The founding group also includes Catholic and Jewish members, and organizers said they hoped to draw Muslim members as well.

"Clergy have to be careful not to rush in with solutions to big problems, but when they see gross injustice they have an obligation not to be silent," Mr. Coffin said. "The arrogance and self-righteousness of the present administration are very dangerous. And silence by members of the clergy, in the face of such arrogance, is tantamount to betrayal of the Gospel or the Torah or the Koran."

Praise Be!!!
There is nothing more obnoxious than the Conservative Christian Right.
That the thunder will soundly be taken from the Falwells, Grahams & Ashcrofts is just like a sweet spiritual to my ears!

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Doh!!! Why do I have to sign up to NY times to see the article???

Anyway, here's another one...

seattlepi.nwsource.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 10:22 AM
link   
This should prove interesting. I wondered how long it would take for the Conservative Rightwing Christians to get too extreme for most Christianity.

We're already starting to see more fragmentation in the church -- reminds me of Twain's quote (paraphrased) about man being the only animal who has the One True Religion -- all 972 of them....

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 10:38 AM
link   
They have always been too extreme - the rub is this: by nature of following religious virtues, such as loving warts and all, they've leveraged tolerance of their far Right agenda to be complicit silence.

" We'll show the Christian Right how Right Christians should act" - Rev. Sharpton during the debates on a question of religion

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Finally, Christians speak out with some sense and awareness of thier own religion!

So they shall be spared.

You see, someday, when i take over America, I shall model it after Rome even more.....starting with feeding the conservative right wing Christian whackos to the Lions for public amusement!

Better than WWF!

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 05:28 PM
link   
As a strong conservative who has had a lot of experience with the christian right, I find this to be a good thing. The far christian right, pentecostals etc., are dangerous to themselves and to christianity as a whole, they glorify all of the wrong things and give a bad name to the christian right. Hopefully this organization will swing the cristian right a little more to the center.

Though this organization runs the risk of going to far left, and losing sight of christianity

top topics

join