It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Random Survival Tips

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Humans can live for several weeks without food, and about three days without water. Depending on the climate conditions, it has been recorded that people have lasted longer than two weeks with no water supply. According to the Guinness Book of Records, the longest time a human has survived without water is 18 days. The length of survival does also depend on physical exertion. A typical person will lose 2-3 liters of water per day in ordinary conditions, but more in very hot or dry weather. A lack of water causes dehydration, resulting in lethargy, headaches, dizziness, confusion, and eventually death. Even mild dehydration impairs concentration, which is dangerous in a survival situation where clear thinking is essential. Dark yellow or brown urine indicates dehydration. Because of these risks, a safe supply of drinking water must be located as soon as a shelter is built (or even before, depending on conditions). In a survival situation, any water supply may be contaminated with pollutants or pathogens (see Potability of backcountry water). Although little can be done to remove molecular contaminants, particles and microorganisms can be removed and/or killed (see Portable water purification).

There are some plants which will provide you with survivable sources of water. Most tree roots and vines contain lots of water, and can be purged by breaking into 3 ft. sections, and standing upright above a water catcher. Avoid any vegetable liquids which are cloudy, milky in appearance, or colored in any way.

Water can be gathered in numerous ways. In areas of abundant moisture, water can be scooped out of a creek or pond. Rainwater (which is typically safe to drink) can be caught in makeshift containers. If these easy sources are not available, a bit more ingenuity will be necessary. Water can be collected from condensation traps or solar stills. Clothing can be used to collect dew from vegetation. Tie a tee shirt to your leg and walk through dew-covered grass in the morning or evening, wring out water and collect. This is a very effective water procurement method.

Although you cannot drink salty seawater, if you are near the beach, you can dig a sand well on the opposite side (from the sea) of a windblown dune. Below sea level, the sand well will fill with drinkable water. It may taste salty or brackish, but the sand acts as a filter reducing the salt content the further you dig inland.

Stagnant water can be made drinkable by filtration through a sieve of charcoal.

Animal blood is not suitable for rehydration, as it may be diseased. In addition, because of the nutrients it contains, it requires energy to digest. Mammals all have blood-borne pathogens so the animal must also be cooked. Urine contains salt and other toxins, which also makes it unsuitable to drink, although it can be refined in a solar still

link   
Many birds, mammals, and some insects, such as bees, ants, and mason flies, are reliable indications of water, either through a stream or a soaked patch of earth.

In extremely dry environments, it is necessary to take extra care to prevent water loss by:

Breathing through the nose to prevent water vapor escaping through the mouth
Not smoking
Resting in the shade and avoiding strenuous labor during sunny, hot periods
Not eating too much (the human body uses a lot of water to digest food - especially fats and proteins)
Not drinking alcohol, which hastens dehydration
You can gather moisture in these ways:

Transpiration - collecting transpired water via a plastic bag.
Using a Solar still
Melting ice
Rainwater harvesting
Using Rain Barrels to collect water
Well water
Desalination
Utility-Scale Atmospheric Water Gathering
Harvesting/collecting dew from plants and grasses

link   
A fire is as important as a safe water supply, because of its many uses:

Boiling water to kill pathogens (see above)
Cooking food, including wild-caught fish and game (see below)
Staying warm, particularly when wet
Repelling dangerous animals and certain insects (e.g. mosquitoes)
Provides a sense of companionship and morale boost
Signaling to rescuers (bright at night, smoky by day)

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Food is not urgently needed in survival situations, since a human can survive for several weeks without it. However, much like dehydration, hunger can bring about many consequences long before it causes death, such as:

Irritability and low morale
Weakness
Loss of mental clarity, such as confusion, disorientation, or poor judgment
Weakened immune system
Difficulty maintaining body temperature (see heat exhaustion and hypothermia)
It is actually rather easy to find food in most wild environments, provided one knows where to look. A basic knowledge of animal trapping, hunting, and fishing will provide meat. Equally important is a knowledge of edible plants, fungi, and lichens. One cannot always rely on the most abundant or most easily accessible type of food. To survive for long periods of time, one must maintain a balanced diet. In order to do this, one must consume a balanced variety of foods.

It is usually wise to eat little and often in survival situations. Small meals take time to digest, and may help heal the empty-stomach feeling. Several bugs are edible, (but taste atrocious), for example, many types of maggots are edible. Some types of spiders, for example, the crucifix spider are edible. To eat a maggot, simply bite off the head and eat the body. The taste may not be particularily pleasant, but the maggots hold vital calories needed for survival.

Many survival books promote the "universal edibility test": allegedly, one can distinguish edible foods from toxic ones by tasting progressively larger portions over time. However, many experts including Ray Mears and John Kallas reject this method, in main part because a very small amount of some "potential foods" can cause anything from gastric distress to illness or death. An additional step called the "scratch test" is sometimes included. In this step (before tasting the food) one makes a major abrasion on the surface of an area of skin (such as with fingernails) and then lightly rubs some of the food product on the abrasion. Foods which cause surface inflammation, discomfort, itching or eruption should be avoided.

Finding food in the wild depends on your environment (i.e. vegetation, animals, and water sources).

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Weapons
There are creatures lurking around every corner in a survival situation, which is why a weapon is essential. A knife will not do, as it is too short for any close range fight. The knife should be used for spear sharpening. A spear should be at least 10in. below your body height. The sharpening should begin at least 3 inches below the tip of the spear stick. Continue until you have a sharp point.

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Training survival skills has two components: mental competence and physical fitness. Physical fitness includes, among other abilities, carrying loads over long distances on rough terrain. Mental competence includes the skills listed in this article, as well as the ability to overcome panic and think clearly. Theoretical knowledge of survival skills is useful only if it can be applied effectively in a real survival situation.

Several organizations offer training in survival skills, which ranges from introductory courses lasting only a day, to field courses lasting as long as a month. In addition to teaching survival techniques for conditions of limited food, water, and shelter, many such courses seek to engender appreciation and understanding of the lifestyles of pre-industrialized cultures.

There are several books that teach one how to survive in dangerous situations and schools usually tell children what to do in the event of an earthquake or fire. Some cities also have contingency plans in case of a major disaster.

Survival Training is normally broken down into two types; Modern Wilderness Survival and Primitive Technology. Modern Wilderness Survival training teaches only skills necessary to survive in the short-term (1-4 days) or medium-term (5-40 days), while Primitive Technology teaches skills need to survive over the long-term (40 days plus). Many primitive technology skills require much more practice and may be more environment specific.

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Do not overburden yourself with kit, the jungle will provide what you need.

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I would get a universal solar powered charger for my short wave radio

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 06:28 AM
link   
The most important thing u need in order to survive is the "WILL" to survive...u can have all the gear under the sun & still perish....the more u know, the less u need...the old tribal survival ways are based on KNOWLEDGE & SKILL....survival = HARD WORK....a minor injury in the wild can be a death sentence...it is vital that u THINK before u act...dehydration & fatigue impair thinking/judgement...to relax & 'enjoy' the 'adventure'...is a healthy way to think in a survival situation...to stay CALM & focused & under no circumstances to PANIC....no matter how bad/rough it gets...THINK well before u act...fear & panic will kill u....more important than all of this is to be in right standing with the Creator...to have a healthy relationship with the Creator...with the Creator of the universe as ur best friend, what u got to fear?.....GB

[edit on 8-11-2007 by dave7]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Take a look at your local flora, then check this list of edible plants. A bit of background research goes a long way.

Pay special attention to cautions on the individual plant write-ups. Some plants have nasty side effects if not prepared right. Fiddleheads, for example (the part of a fern that`s unfolding) are quite tasty - but you need to boil, steam or roast them before cooking - or you`ll be wishing you`d taken the time to dig your privvy before dinner, if you follow me.

Unless you`ve studied mushrooms (or have a good guidebook handy), they`re best avoided altogether.

Another bit of background research (especially for the armchair types) is the Joy of Cooking - pick up an older one if you can find it (they`re everywhere). It`s got decent instructions on cleaning and cooking just about everything (the one I had contained recipes for opossum, squirrel, and I think there was even a mention of how to prepare skunk if you really really had to). There`s also a ton of great info on preserving food - smoking, canning, etc..

Of course, all this is useless information unless you actually put it into practice before your cessna ploughs into the forest canopy...

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
If you're looking for ideas in preparing for a disaster, check out this site:

www.fluwikie.com...

Also, google, "100 Things to disappear first in a panic" That's a pretty good checklist.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
remember, DO NOT PANIC....u'll be useless if u do...stay cool & calm & focused & u'll do better than most....take deep breaths & stay focused...continue to work through any gut renching fear/nervousness...recognise it but breath deep & concentrate on what needs to be done...if u become emotional, u'll be useless...ur judgement will be impaired...don't get distracted, stay focused.....& don't forget to PRAY....GB

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for all the great info.

Here are some sites I found pretty informative. I've posted some of these in other forums, but they're relevant to this one.

Bow Drills: www.youtube.com...

www.fluwikie.com...

www.rense.com...

athagan.members.atlantic.net...

www.survivalist.info...

Now for some random musings, some of which have been mentioned here:

PRACTICE: I agree with what everyone is saying about practicing the things you read about. For instance, after Dr. Strangecraft's description of using his smoker, I bought one yesterday and the chips are soaking as I type. Practice makes perfect. A bow drill looks simple right? Well it's not, but once you practice, you can do it. Practice is especially important with guns. If you practice, you'll also get exercise, (see below)

EXERCISE. Your body is your most important tool after your mind. This may be the single most important piece of advice on all these threads. I have heeded it.

QUIT ADDICTIONS: Another excellent piece of advice I found on these threads. I did. This will also help with exercise. Whether you smoke, drink, overeat, watch Oprah or whatever. stop it and go take a walk or a run or a hike.

STEP AWAY FROM THE BIG MAC!: Eat right. It's not really more expensive. Go to a farmer's market. Talk to the farmers about how they grow crops. Soak up info. Eat locally. Read food labels: If you can't pronounce some of the ingredients, don't eat it.

BUY A BIKE: Mountain bikes offer the most versatility, but are more of a pain on the street. Learn how to repair it. Buy spares of tubes and things. This is also alot of fun.

GUNS: Take a hunter's safety course. Practice.

GROW A GARDEN: (see practice)

Thanks to everyone for the great information.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Some rules:

DONT skimp on your shelter!
Make a fire first thing
Don’t leave finding food too late.

^these are more your 'roughing it' kind of rules, but they still apply!

Also, definitely bring knives, several of them. Also learning to make one of your own could be a big advantage, so long as you also learn to find and prepare/assemble the materials needed.

A hunting knife is great; you can use it as a weapon and as an effective tool, for wood work and general camp craft too. Even as a make shift axe, or something for splitting wood, though I wouldn’t recommend it. That and a small pocket knife, or two is perfect. Though don’t buy one of those knives with the first aid kit in the handle, if you lose the knife, that’s your first aid gone too.

Learn the local flora, if you’re not sure on things such as mushrooms, then don’t bother. They can kill you stone dead if you make a mistake. Not all mushrooms are bright red with white spots, be careful. Taking small amounts (small!!) and leaving it for about 12 hours or so should indicate its toxicity, though I suggest this for the really needy. Find some fruit instead, nuts too.

Learn to navigate by the stars, not just the sky though, use some backup methods, such as the way a wood ant nest is located around a tree (always south). Make note of land marks.

Also, I suggest keeping to an environment that you are familiar with. If the hit fits the shan then being somewhere that you can confidently live in for an extended period of time is a huge advantage.

Don’t underestimate yourself, humans are tough critters, if you are forced into a survival situation, let your instincts apply themselves. Make sure to listen to them. Some training is always a boost though, get plenty of it. Get out there and practice, it is fun to learn something that can save your life. Kinda opens up the Stone Age primitive survivalist embedded in all of us.

[EDIT: etiquette]

[edit on 10-11-2007 by funny_pom]

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Have some condoms handy by thinking outside the square they could come in handy for such things as fire making or anything else you can come up . Of course condoms could also server there primary purpose once you have shelter , supply of water , sources of food , a fire and shelter life could go on as usual.

If your in a survival situation for any length of time life may go on as usual as much as possible.

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   

A fire is as important as a safe water supply, because of its many uses:
.............one very important use not mentioned was for 'TOOL MAKING'................personnally i'd be in no hurry to get a fire going unless it was very cold...finding or making a SHELTER would be my priority...got days to get water...can die the first day/night without shelter.....GB

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Tip 1: Get a land rover defender and know how to fix every aspect of it, keep it stocked with a basic survival kit at all times, including sealed food and water

Tip 2: Bit of a UK one this, get a gun license if you can, if not, get a crossbow/compound bow and learn how to use it, properly!

Tip 3: plan your own evacuation route, one which would not be apparent to any others, make sure you include the shortest route possible to pick up anybody you actually care about from their most likely location (wife from work, kids from school etc)

Tip 4: No matter what situation you find yourself in, STAY CALM, most problems can be overcome, and panic clouds judgement.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   
If you plan on traveling to a location, or one of a few locations in mind, and stay put for up to one growth season (1/3rd of a year, or 3 to 5 months), bring your own seeds.

Bring seeds of something consumable that will grow within 3 to 5 months. This leaves out alot of things, but there are a few things that are perfect for the task. Do your own research on your favorite veggies..

This goes for medicine as well, and even smoking supplies. You could plant your own tobacco, or hemp (for uh.. boat ropes!), or poppy, or -whatever-. Morphine base is easily extractable from poppy straw, and can be used for pain relief and respiratory depression if one is suffering from injury or illness.

Hemp is great for anti-nausea, anti-stress, glaucoma, ocular nerve pressure, regulation of blood sugar (diabetic) etc.

So, a diverse seed stash would be in order. I already have one. If the # ever hits the fan, I plan on making my way to the nearest mountain range, isolating myself with perhaps just a couple of very trustworthy people or by myself if need be, and etch out an agricultural existence. Most people automatically think "Nomadic" when they think bugging out, or the loss of society. But allow me to remind you that Agriculture is how Mankind has gotten to where it is, and achieved what it has. Nomadic is a lesser form of existence when it comes to efficiency level and quality of life. You could even argue it is safer from a health standpoint. So I'll be finding myself a nice cave or rock enclosure within a short walk of some nice soil of at least a fraction of an acre, surrounding by dense woods. This is where i'd stay put in a makeshift home of sorts until it is absolutely necessary to flee the hideout.

And because of the potential to have to flee the hideout, I will tend to my gardens and crops and have some containers full of condensed alkaloids or food stuffs from my plants, so I can flee if necessary. And I will always save the previous harvest's seeds, as well as a massive collection of my own incase i have failed crops or im ran off of my spot. This is where a couple of folks come in, all armed with rifles, less than 8 people, more like 3 or 4 people. Living a halfway decent existence and protecting it by always having one person on watch, setting up early warning traps such as fishing wire with bells attached to it, or other crafty indicator devices. Having a few friends around will help you manage everything, because its hard to be a farmer all by yourself.

And if you do have good fortune and find an ideal location, do not sell to the locals! They will find out what you have and where you live and come kill you! Always travel FAR to trade these goods.. because they will be better than GOLD in a Mad Max style, fallen society.

[edit on 12/13/2007 by runetang]

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   
There is one simple solution to the food problem:

Carry at least two MREs. Enough to help you survive with food for a week at most. Trust me, I've done it. If you know how to conserve your food you might even be able to have these bad boys last longer. You can buy MREs on the internet, a little pricey, but well worth it.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
i have read every single reply and i dont think that anyone has mentioned always carry spare dry socks....anyone whos into walking knows what i mean..........its really pants when its freezing and your feet are cold, just ask my bleak- mid- winter- puddle- sploshing- sprogs....they were jolly pleased that we had spares!!!!
m x

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join