It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Allegations of US Troops Attacking Iraqi Red Crescent

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   
The Red Crescent, Iraq's biggest humanitarian organisation and in Muslim countries the equivalent to the Red Cross is having severe problems carrying out humanitarian aid in war-torn Iraq. Being the only aid organisation left to work in the entire country it is a serious blow to the very little of relief efforts still carried out there. Since its start in 1859 The Red Cross/Red Crescent has been recognized by all war faring parties as a neutral entity allowed to carry out its work of help and compassion on any battlefield. Not any more.

news.bbc.co.uk
The Iraqi Red Crescent, the country's biggest humanitarian organisation, has accused United States troops of attacking its offices and vehicles.

The organisation's vice-president said attacks by US-led forces were the biggest problem it faced.

The Red Crescent, which has a staff of 1,000 and 200,000 volunteers, is the only Iraqi aid group working across the country's 18 provinces.

The US military said it was checking the allegations.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Ignorance, paranoia and simple lack of education has made the Iraqi Red Crescent another target of "enemy combatants" for the US forces. Obviously. The last rule of war broken by the American troops. I'm not sure it all comes down to stupidity and ignorance. More and more I get the feeling they deliberatly resort to raw terror in their cornered and desperate situation. The last fairness of a glorious army gone. Last respect vanished.

By the rule of the bully it is OK to not subject to international bodies like the UN, the Geneva convention or any international court, so desperation reveals the true and all through evil face US suzerainty. Yes, forgive me my harsh words, but for crimes on this magnitude I have no indulgence.

A fresh survey carried out by Iraq Centre for Research and Strategic Studies finds that 95% of Iraqis believe the security situation has deteriorated since the arrival of US forces.

Other surveys in the US homeland now indicates an all time low for Bush's strategies of war, only 23% of the American people stand by their president, a NBC pool finds.

That the situation for US forces is beyond desperat, near a breaking point was stated yesterday by General Peter Schoomaker in front of a Washington commission examining options for reserve forces. Addressing the congressional committee, the general said he wanted the army to grow by more than the 30,000 extra troops already authorised.

This is insanity. I cannot find words anymore and it surpasses my mind the American people is left so numb and dumb that this can go on.

One more time I must ask, Where are the Washington marches of the Vietnam era, the Berkeley riots, the Kent State University upheavals? After all they where the ones that changed the course of that war. Can it really be true, that the American people now is so entangled in fear, wrenched by it that they simply cannot move?

This is about obstructing humanitarian aid and I can only find one word for it, and it is Shame, shame on America. The goodwill you earned fighting the nazies has been used up.

[edit on 15-12-2006 by UM_Gazz]

[edit on 15-12-2006 by khunmoon]

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   
The Red Crescent has been infiltrated and used as cover by the insurgent terrorists on multiple occasions. The U.S. has not only the right but the obligation under international law to police the correct use of the red cross/red crescent symbol and investigate any misuse of it.

The only ignorance exposed here is your own.

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
The Red Crescent has been infiltrated and used as cover by the insurgent terrorists on multiple occasions. The U.S. has not only the right but the obligation under international law to police the correct use of the red cross/red crescent symbol and investigate any misuse of it.

Ahh yes because Israel showed bogus IDF edited footage of a real Palestinian Ambulance pulling up and picking up dead terrorists and then cut to a different street all together and showed the driver of what appears to be a Red Cross vehicle pick up an AK47 just so they can absolve themselves for attacking those Ambulances during the Lebanon II war, so of course Red Crescent is corrupt because Israel has shown you the proof and of course the same must hold true in Iraq.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Here is one of the damning videos showing the notorious Arm smuggling red cross. This isn't the one with the edited footage. I will try to find the other one.

www.liveleak.com...

Red Cross Arms Smugglers (LOL)

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Obviosuly, you'd fit in with ur commrads.

" Hey look jimmy,one of those doo gooder tulip walking red cresents are assisting that evil terrorist scum, its his own fault he chose to defend his house and family with a gun, not ours that we shot him.....better take down those evil terrorist assisting red cresent SCUM too, member georgy says we're making the world a safer place by killing anyone assoicated with those devil worshipping Iraqis''

but enough of that..

the report says '' ATTACKS ''
You say its justified if your POLICE them.

its ok to police them i agree,
but the red crescent is talking about ATTACKS

or did your accidental ignorance miss that word?

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Even according to this guy's claim of "attacks," the worst he claims happened is a few doors and windows broken, cars destroyed, and people detained for a few hours. And that was disputed by the U.S. according to the story.

It's amazing to see how quick people are to attack the U.S. at any chance they get.

BTW, if you see the BBC found space as a caption to say "The organisation is also hit by insurgency and random attacks." You can bet they do a lot more than detain people for a few hours and break some glass.

[edit on 12/16/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Found a few more reports on the story. Both emphasis that the insurgency is NOT a problem to the Red Crescent.

International Herald Tribune
He also claimed that insurgent groups in Iraq did not pose as great a problem for the organization as the coalition forces. "The insurgents, they are Iraqis, a lot of them are Iraqis, and they respect the Iraqis. And they respect our (the Red Crescent's) identity, which is neutrality."

Iraqi Red Crescent: U.S. threatens work
"The main problem we are facing is the American forces more than the other forces," Al-Karbouli told reporters in Geneva. "We are spending a lot of time to explain about the Red Crescent."

Al-Karbouli said insurgent groups in Iraq did not pose as great a problem for the organization.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Note the remark:"We are spending a lot of time to explain about the Red Crescent."

I still think it comes down to ignorance from the average GI-Joe. He simply don't know what Red Crescent is, only aware it's some kind of Muslim symbol.

After all, it's them he's there waging war on. Eh?

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Guess What !

More Muslims Kill Muslims than any other group Period !!

Gotta love how you guys jump on any story no matter how minor or trivial and try twist it into some Crusader hate crime

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 05:59 AM
link   
No one said what the muslims are doing is good.

But when its the coalition, its a very big deal.

This coalition is meant to be representing your COUNTRY!

Its meant to be representing the LIBERTY and DEMOCRACY you have lied about all this time.

IF your so happy for this image to be the image these soilders/diplomats are giving the middle east.. its no bloody WONDER they want your head on a plate.

This is a HANEOUS Act commited by the USA,
Its an ILLEGIAL WAR PERIOD.
Making it harder for the red crescent to diminsh Suffering and death is very low...

Then again, look at your commander and chief.....
Its no wonder his example of leadership wreaks of Curroption, murder, deceipt and GREED.

I will take any chance I get to show sheep the truth about there ' coalition ' and 'leader'

Your butchering and maiming innocent civilians,

im sure your obviously fragile ego can handle someone typing some words on the internet....

I mean,

your country hasnt been invaded and occupied based on lies and greed.
your not trying to survive and live around bombs, gangs, insurgencies, foreign soilders, kidnappings, beheadings, air raids...

I think being it is the US that has CAUSED THIS, they should be willing to stand up to some scrutiny, and harsh words.

I mean how bad are harsh words, compared to the living hell your have FORCED on these people.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by NumberCruncher
Guess What !

Gotta love how you guys jump on any story no matter how minor or trivial and try twist it into some Crusader hate crime

Attacking a neutral party bringing humantiarian isn't something minor or trivial. It's an affront to international law. It's the abuse of human rights.

No one is saying anything about Crusaders or any religious matters, you're the one bringing it up.

In fact I seem to notice you tend to jump up and down on "trivial stories" yourself, authoring many threads with "minor stories" that you bring up to demonise the other side of your "Crusade". :shk:

Pot kettle black?

[edit on 16-12-2006 by Beachcoma]

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon
Found a few more reports on the story. Both emphasis that the insurgency is NOT a problem to the Red Crescent.

And if you read a lttle further down in the article, you would see this:

Doctors and other medical workers have been targeted by militants in bombings and shootings in Iraq�s relentless violence. Hospitals also have become safe havens for insurgents or Shiite militiamen, who have sometimes holed up in them in battles with U.S. forces.

A little more serious than breaking windows, wouldn't you agree?

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Doctors and other medical workers have been targeted by militants in bombings and shootings in Iraq�s relentless violence. Hospitals also have become safe havens for insurgents or Shiite militiamen, who have sometimes holed up in them in battles with U.S. forces.

Yes, I agree, but the topic for the thread is aidwork is being obstructed, hassled, downright threatened and attacked by US forces.

And the issue is the Red Cross/Red Crescent is victimized, the best known aid organisation, most regonized worldwide cannot carry out their work because some of the most sacred ideals internationally agreed on, for carrying out that work is set aside by US troops. An atrocity on the line of suicide bombers killing innocent bystanders, if you ask me.

Okay, now I here you say, they haven't deliberately killed aidworkers.

Eventually it is bound to happen sooner or later, and it will come down to a lack of education and an impossible situation your politicans have put the troops in.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
Here is one of the damning videos showing the notorious Arm smuggling red cross. This isn't the one with the edited footage. I will try to find the other one.

www.liveleak.com...

The footage in the first clip is so poor how the hell could you id that item as a rifle? more or less a manufacturer?
It could have been any number of things used on a bus..how do know ? i have worked on one for over a decade

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by patch41893

Originally posted by ThePieMaN

www.liveleak.com...

The footage in the first clip is so poor how the hell could you id that item as a rifle? more or less a manufacturer?
It could have been any number of things used on a bus..how do know ? i have worked on one for over a decade

Well this is why I posted the video. DJohnsto was saying that the Red Cross have been known to do such things...yes By The IDF who has in the past attacked many Red Cross vehicles and they have used videos such as these to back their actions and to prove the red cross does such things. Even if you could see the Rifle it does not in any way mean that the Red Cross is using the vehicles to transport or aid the terrorists.I guess the IDF would have preferred if the rifle was left on the ground for some little kid to come by and pick up and kill themselves with, much like they did (The IDF) with bomblets in Lebanon.

Pie

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by NumberCruncher
Guess What !

Why is it that so many people want us to be like they are? Just because they kill each other should mean that we should kill innocent people too? Why should we want to be that way just because a few people just want to exterminate muslims? I won't lower myself and support that as an American or as an American of Lebanese heritage. Don't profess to be bringing them something better if you are just proposing to bring the same old crap in a different package. If thats the case then leave them alone and let them be and don't bring more death and destruction to them.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I agree,

problem is,

we have thrown them into the crap pile they are in now.

The crap pile they are in now ( the iraqi's ) is FAR WORSE than how it was under saddams days.

We cannot just say '' well, you couldnt solve the problem WE put on you, so we are going to abandon you....."

Which is what I fear bush is going to do.

Todays news says GW is getting ANNOYED at the progress of this secretarian strife.

Annoyed Bush?
Your annoyed because these factions are massacring each other over the VOID you left when you illegially invaded?

Your only just getting ANNOYED?

"60 corpses found in Baghdad"
"U.S. Military Deaths in Iraq Hit 2,931"

Two haedlines on www.worldnews.com today

anyone who supports this war, gw bush or the reasons we are in iraq are the most deluded, idiotic people i have ever had the unfortunate pleasure of having to sit through there mindless stupidity.

how many f'n people have to be slaughtered before you put down your blind patriotism and accept the REALITY?

This red crescent issue is just another SAGA in this long drawn out war.

Who cares whats going on,
WE SHOULDNT EVEN BE THERE.
RED CRSCENT SHOULDNT HAVE TO BE THERE.

Yet your arguing 'for' the US troops?

Its a bloody Illegial war by INTERNATIONAL LAW
YOUR LEADER LIED, and now 2900 of your good citizens have been murdered IN VEIN!

How can anyone with a shred of decency defend ANYTHING That is going on in that country at the hands of the US MILITARY?

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Yes, I agree, but the topic for the thread is aidwork is being obstructed, hassled, downright threatened and attacked by US forces.

And the issue is the Red Cross/Red Crescent is victimized, the best known aid organisation, most regonized worldwide cannot carry out their work because some of the most sacred ideals internationally agreed on, for carrying out that work is set aside by US troops. An atrocity on the line of suicide bombers killing innocent bystanders, if you ask me.

If the militants are hiding among the workers, how are we to root them out if not to go to where they are hiding?

Remember in Lebanon, Hezbollah flew their flag right beside the flag of the aid workers. And there are many documented cases of them using ambulances as ambush and escape vehicles.

War is not pretty, nor is it easy. But to expect us to follow one set of rules while allowing the militants to use that to their advantage, because they have no rules, is suicide.

Okay, now I here you say, they haven't deliberately killed aidworkers.

Eventually it is bound to happen sooner or later, and it will come down to a lack of education and an impossible situation your politicans have put the troops in.

Politicians shouldn't be running the battlefield, but we let them. As well as we listen to every opposing voice and weigh it into the war equation.

Does the insurgency do likewise? No, and that is the reason for the mess we're in.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 04:24 AM
link   

If the militants are hiding among the workers, how are we to root them out if not to go to where they are hiding?
[...]

Smoking them out like animals won't work, they are humans. Humans turn to one another for support in times of crisis. You don't crush an insurgency by physically crushing the people, that'll just make the populace sympathize with the insurgents, whoever they may be.

Insurgencies survive on the support of the people, it's that simple. Take that away and it slowly will wither, there are no quick fixes. Events such as these will continue to erode the confidence of the people in the abilities of the force opposing the insurgency.

If the people don't got your back, they got the enemy's back. Shooting at them won't auto-magically cause them to bend into submission. Would you ally yourself with someone who just blew up your house because they thought the "bad guys were there" or will you side with the one who is intent (or it least appears that way) on flushing out those fools who blew up your crib?

Human factors always come into play. The lack of understanding of this fact by US forces always seems to puts them into the sort of nonsense we see today. What, didn't you guys see it the first time in Vietnam?

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 06:33 AM
link   

I still think it comes down to ignorance from the average GI-Joe. He simply don't know what Red Crescent is, only aware it's some kind of Muslim symbol.

The US Military personnel are VERY aware of what the Red Crecent is as well as what the Red Cross is. Your statement is non-factual. Every soldier is trained as to what these symbols are and what they mean. They are also told that just because the organization is good that doesn't mean that the terrorists won't try to hid behind them, hijack vehicles with those markings, etc.

Just after 9/11 there was a warning to those living in the USA that some middle eastern men had tried to get used and discarded ambulances out of a dump. They would have made great cover to bring terrorist bombs close to large buildings (like the Oklahoma City bombing - a small truck next to a large government building)

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Its an ILLEGIAL WAR PERIOD.

that always makes me laugh. No, it's not an 'illegal' war. Our government approved the USA going to war. Foreign governments have no say in our affairs. The corrupt crap-filled cesspool UN has no moral authority to point fingers at anyone and say 'illegal'.

Then again, look at your commander and chief.....

Oh gawd spare us ... one of those 'it's all Bush's fault' posts.
Insurgent terrorists start to hide behind the Red Cresent so it now has to be suspect and this is Bush's fault.

the living hell your have FORCED on these people.

Living hell. Saddam's mass murdering is gone. Saddam's government sponsored rape and torture are gone. Saddam's sons torturing and murdering athletes who don't play up to their standards are gone. The U.N. and Saddam stealing the Oil for Food billions is gone. The Iraqis have free elections for the first time in 40 years. The Iraqis have a chance to finally make their own country what ever they want.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Saddam's mass murdering is gone.

...and now you have the uncertainty of accidently be labeled enemy combatant, having your house blown up, getting killed by carbombs when you go to market
...or being at the mercy of troops when caught in the fury of the moment gone out of control.

Saddam's government sponsored rape and torture are gone. Saddam's sons torturing and murdering athletes who don't play up to their standards are gone.

Instead you got another government whose methods of interrogation have exactly the same aim, to inflict pain and fear.
They might not be as refined as Saddams, but things chance and circumstances could take them there.

The U.N. and Saddam stealing the Oil for Food billions is gone. The Iraqis have free elections for the first time in 40 years.

Yes, and instead you got the real proofs, like Haliburton, KBR and they don't go for peanuts.

You're right they got free elections, but I bet they anytime would trade them for stability.

The Iraqis have a chance to finally make their own country what ever they want.

It's hard for me to see they got any chances at all, but I'm quite sure what they've got now is never what they wanted.
Please see link in the OP of this thread ...about what the 95% think.

BTW.. Iraq was never a country, but a territory with colonial borders set up by the British. It might have been "their own", but when this is finished and whatever setup there will be left for it ...it will belong to the World Bank and their corporations.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join