It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emergency/Survival Kit Checklist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I thought I'd run-down a list of supplies one might need in an emergency or survival situation. Mind you, this is not meant to have you set for an idefinite period (at least as far as rations go). Please add your thoughts/items to the list - it may help me (and everyone else) out!

strike anywhere matches
weatherproof matches
magnesium firestarter
fuel sticks
flares
glow sticks
mylar emergency blanket(s)
wool or cotton blanket(s)
candles
flashlight ("traditional")
flashlight - the kind you shake to get a charge
small radio
batteries for all items which need them
soap
toilet paper
1-3-days full rations of MREs per person
3-5 days of "ration bars" per person
compact shovel (fixed)
compact shovel (folding)
compact saw
hatchet
fixed-blade knife/bayonet
locking folding-blade knife
"Swiss Army" knife
multi-tool pliers
compass
road map of the area
topographical map of the area
paper and pen/pencil
signal mirror
machete
First Aid kit, bandages, etc.
water!
water purifying tablets and/or device
currency - paper, precious metals, gemstones
compact tent
small tarp
twine
rope
pistol w/ammo
rifle w/ammo
multivitamins
sealable, see-though plastic tub

Any other items??..

Edn

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I take it this isn't a list of what you'd take but a list of everything you have? Half that stuff I simply wouldn't need.

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
I take it this isn't a list of what you'd take but a list of everything you have? Half that stuff I simply wouldn't need.

That's why I never started a thread like this, although it is sorely needed. Survival is a very personal thing. The biggest problem is one persons perfect list is overkill to another. Use any list in the spirit in witch they were intended. An exchange of ever changing ideas not a set in concrete thing. Maybe they have thought of a little thing in there list that could help you, or maybe an idea for a different better tool to do the same job in a more efficient manner.

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
A few additions I'd make:

1) Insect repellent.
2) More insect repellent
3) A 12lb test roll of fishing line, assorted size hooks and sinkers. Adjust the line weight for fish you are most likely to attempt to catch.
4) A roll of duct tape.
5) At least one change of clothing. Ideally, I'd have at least one light colored set for summer travel, and a camo set if evasion was necessary.
6) A small metal pan or bowl suitable for cooking

[edit on 15-12-2006 by vor78]

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I used to have a whole shed full of survival stuff. I could have withstood a 6 month siege on my home with the crap I had in there. Unfortunately, I had to go to work (like most of us do) and I got robbed, then, a few months later my house burned down and got the rest of my valuable stuff. None of it survived. However, I did survive. For which I am thankful. And wiser.
What I consider "essential" can be stored in my pants pockets without weighing me down. Sure, there's lots of stuff that would make a survival situation more bearable but they aren't essential. The idea is to survive. Thriving will come later.
I can make fire in a variety of situations, so firemaking equipment is off the list. Lighter is handy but not essential. Water is essential so I have a filtration straw that is ultra light and takes up as much space as a regular straw. Good knife (old timer) is kept sharp and oiled. Rambo wouldn't be caught dead carrying it but he's not invited to my survival party anyway. I keep a backpack with spare clothes and a few helpful items always packed and in the closet but when I ran from my burning house (barely awake and mostly naked) it never occured to me to grab it (and I wouldn't have had time anyway). I did have my knowledge and my skills to keep me going until I could reaquire life's little comfort items. Maintain your health and keep your mind sharp and your skills honed.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   
the one thing you have to understand is survival is a test. and it's pass or fail ,not graded on a curve. if after the ordeal no matter how horrible it was you are alive you pass, and no matter how comfortable you were up untill they find your body you fail. there are too many skills to discuss easily because the place you find yourself in trouble can vary wildly so the main skill is learning and appling that learning to what happend, tool are great bit the one tool you can not lose is your mind( well you can but then it's not inportant.)

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Socks. If you're equipping for cut-and-run pack padded socks. If your feet wear-out it's game over.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I have a pack that I take whenever I leave the house typically it stays in the car but I
do take it into work with me listed below are the items

100 ft 550 para cord
Leatherman Wave Multitool
Compass
Space blanket
10 feet of wire (makes great snares for small game and has ton of other uses
1 small tin cup 10 ounces
water purification tablets and a straw filter
2 pairs of socks (your feet will love you for it)
2 pair nylon liners for socks
dual band ham radio and antenna
led flashlight
8 extra double AA 8 extra AAA
work gloves
a shemagh (arabic dew rag)
8 hooks and weights some artificial bait (what if it is winter)
duct tape 20 ft / with 50 yrds of spiderwire fishing line wrapped around it
sunglasses (your eyes will love you)
and eyeglass repair kit (essential for me)
and extra pair of eyeglasses
mechanical pencil x 2 and a pad small pad to write on (helps you find your way)
oh yeah a few non essentials toothbrush (just cause I hate using a nawed stick)
2 extra lighters 2 - 2.5 gallon ziplock bags for carrying water and keeping things dry.
My poncho can't forget this.

all this weighs about 15 pounds and not only could I survive I could probably thrive with the small amount of equipment listed

Oh yeah personal thought I keep 4 of the small tissue packs also cause when you need
to well you get the point.

talk to ya later
Geo

[edit on 1/23/2007 by geocom]

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
well said, wcssar. The 3 things you MUST have are: knowledge, skills (of all sorts), and your health. Everything else is extraneous no matter how helpful/useful. If I needed all the comforts of home to survive, I'd just stay home.

top topics

join