It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Categories and Classes of Situation X

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0369

'sitX' stands for 'situation X.'

Oh, um... secondl line?

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
How about more fun:

A. reversal of earth's magnetic poles.
Nobody thinks much about the effects from that, although it has happened numerous times in earths geologic history---and without, apparently, disturbing the Van Allen belts and exposing the earth to cosmic radiation... But I bet it would mess with electrical utilities, computers, and all radio communication or indeed electrical fields of any type, from grandpa's pacemaker in his heart to every cellphone and aircraft beacon. Hmm.

B. A virus like Tobacco Mosaic, only in maize.
An already-real world threat, this plant virus originated in the solanaceae family that includes tomatoes, potatoes, and tobacco. The virus itself is genetically unstable, and has branched out beyond its original host. If it were to attack domestic corn/maize....most of which is hybridized for monoculture with most year's seed being genetic sisters...this could prove even more devastating than the European corn borer moth, which seriously damaged global production in the early 1990s. No more corn syrup. Meaning, no soft drinks, practically no processed food of any kind until sugar beet production can be increased, which might take a decade. In the mean time, no cow or chicken feed for much of earth's livestock.....

C. A Coronal Mass Ejection, a repeat of the Carrington Event
A much more violent version of scenario "A." Read the wikipedia article: Carrington Event . When this happened in 1859, it was so violent that telegraph towers emitted sparks(!) Picture if you will, every utility pole near you showering a cloud of sparks. How would transformers react? How about your cell phone, your car's computer, hell, even your own nervous system...

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

I'm waiting for you to start the zombie thread.

Would fit under the "pandemic" classification, so (NBC)...Nuclear, Biological, Chemical, etc. (with category depending on outbreak).

Personally, unless a zombie virus is airborne, I'm fairly confident we wouldn't see a zombie apocalypse. Bites are a notoriously inefficient way to spread a disease... If you look at the worst past cases, it's a common thread.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
where did the OP get the stats for the class level events? Oh, and by the way, 08 has come and gone, and no WWZ yet, : (

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
What about an all-out? When all of it happens at once?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by thelibra

HI. I love the numbers that you give, and definitions to classifications...are these real classifications, labelled by some agency or whatever? Or yours? They seem realistic enough to be. Is there an actual classification guide? And please more info on the zombie survival guide, sounds like an interesting read, and could it be altered to suit a different critical situation?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

I am actually doing a lot of research on the coronal mass ejection issue right now....NASA has some wonderful articles on it, as does astroengine.com. Are you aware of any groups or threads where this may be the main line of conversation? I am new and a bit lost in the vast array of info here

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by 1amworriedincanada

Here's the most recent ATS thread I'm aware of: repeat of the Carrington Event

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DeusEx

you can be squished between two objects during a battle though...

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I really dont understand peope who say that they wont prepare because they figure they will die if a comet hits us or some such rot.....if you prepare and DO get slammed by a major event and everyone gets squished,no problem...you arent out anything....but if whatever hits somewhere else,and you have stuff,you will do alright....I get my gear together...We(every family member) have a 3 day kit,a major field kit that we attach the 3 day kit to if we need to,and a houseful of stuff that I dont plan to carry and dont want to...but if we HAVE to run,we can....so if we get squished,you can post"I told you so"...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by thelibra

sadly they never made a World War Z movie but it would be cool to see a zombie movie about how we survived it and see it explained thorugh different peoples views

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Extreme solar flare next fall/winter will degrid us,severe storms,power down for months,food riots,fresh water shortage,....this is what to prepare for now

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
How about more fun:

A. reversal of earth's magnetic poles.
Nobody thinks much about the effects from that, although it has happened numerous times in earths geologic history---and without, apparently, disturbing the Van Allen belts and exposing the earth to cosmic radiation... But I bet it would mess with electrical utilities, computers, and all radio communication or indeed electrical fields of any type, from grandpa's pacemaker in his heart to every cellphone and aircraft beacon. Hmm.

A magnetic pole shift takes thousands upon thousands of years, in some cases millions to completely shift. It's not something that happens overnight, it takes a very long time. So even if we were in one, it's possible we wouldn't even notice.

Something that is very interesting though is that recently we've measured that our magnetosphere is shrinking. The reason is unknown, but the more it shrinks the more vulnerable we are to the effects of a solar storm. So a storm that might produce only moderate effects right now could produce more severe effects down the road. We'd also be exposed to more radiation.
edit on 7-5-2012 by windowpane because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by The Arbiter of Lies

sadly they never made a World War Z movie but it would be cool to see a zombie movie about how we survived it and see it explained thorugh different peoples views

Good news - The World War Z movie WAS made and is OUT now!
Bad news - It is NOTHING like the book.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: thelibra

Thank you for this most informative post! Would a more pointed regional level be possible to estimate? For instance based on resources to handle the emergency?

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 05:40 AM
link   
a reply to: RobertRogers

[SNIP]

edit on 11/1/2016 by Gemwolf because: Remove spam

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 05:40 AM
link   
snip
edit on Tue Jan 9 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Would be scary if the Zombie Apocalypse happened.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 04:28 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join