It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who should be Time Magazine�s �Person of the Year�?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Soon to be announced will be Time Magazine�s �Person of the Year�. This prestigious award has been awarded to the person that had the most influence on the world for that year for better or worse.

There are several nominees, and would like to know who you think should win. Some of the nominees are:

George W. Bush
Kim Jong Il
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
Nancy Pelosi
Condoleezza Rice
Al Gore
Hugo Chavez
The YouTube Guys

You can also vote on their website if you want.

www.time.com...

Here is a list of previous winners.

history1900s.about.com...

I would also like to add these to the list:

Mark Foley: for bringing down the Republican Party and allowing the Democrats to take a majority in the House and Senate.

Skeptic Overlord: for introducing Dark Matter to ATS.

I believe the winner is to be announced tomorrow Saturday Dec. 16 on CNN.

Cheers.

[edit on 12/15/2006 by Hal9000]

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 08:59 AM
link   
The latest poll results from the online voting show Hugo Chavez in the lead with 35% of the vote.

I voted for Mahmoud Ahmadinejad because I think Iran has been fueling the insurgency in Iraq, which has been the biggest issue for the US this year.

Ex

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   
My Vote Goes To
The YouTube Guys
I think they have changed the way video is viewed on the net,
with great search engines that let me find most anything.

2nd
Would love to see his Avatar on the front of Time Magazine

Skeptic Overlord

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I could see how some would pick the YouTube Guys, because they showed us how to make a billion dollars in a year starting from almost nothing.

I certainly don't understand why so many are voting for Chavez. What has he done to affect any changes in the world over the last year or at anytime?

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
no richard dawkins?
for shame TIME, FOR SHAME
honestly, look at how much he shook up american culture recently
hell, he was even featured in an episode of south park

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   
My bet is they'll choose Nancy Pelosi.

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I voted for Al Gore, since I think he played a big part in making
Global Wamring more of a public issue.

They'll proably choose Mahmoud Ahmadinejad or Bush though.

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Kim Jong Il
How can you not vote this guy, he single handly winded up the USA and got away with it without a bomb xD

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   
DJ, I know that some of the credit for the Dems to take the majority has gone to Nancy, but I don�t think so and would say she might be a contender for the POY next year depending on how things go.

Iori, I haven't seen that movie yet, but I hear it was good. I always thought Al had a big heart, but the war in Iraq was the biggest issue this year.

And Galiega, I also think KJI has opened a can of worms with the nuclear test, but even though it fizzled, it may have emboldened Iran to pursue their own nuclear testing. So this was another close second in my opinion.

Time will tell. (pun intended)

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000
DJ, I know that some of the credit for the Dems to take the majority has gone to Nancy, but I don�t think so and would say she might be a contender for the POY next year depending on how things go.

If the names listed are truly the only ones being considered, I still think Pelosi would be the most likely choice.

I don't think TIME will choose anyone considered "bad" or too controversial such as Ahmadinejad, Jong-Il or Chavez. I know they've picked such people in the past, but not for a long time and I doubt any of these people merit such attention anyway.

Bush already got it in 2000 and the only thing interesting about him this year is the stunning amount of power and influence that he's lost.

I see no reason for Gore either, maybe next year if he makes a big political comeback and looks like he's ahead of Hillary.

Rice? She hasn't done much of note this much either (at least publically) that I know of.

The You Tube Guys? I think most of their readership won't even know what the hell they're talking about.

That leaves Pelosi, she's the highest ranking woman in U.S. gov't history and was the most visible face of the Democratic Party when they retook Congress after 12 years of Republican rule. I don't like her, nor the fact that the Democrats took over, but she seems like the most logical choice of the ones listed.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I voted for Hugo Chavez... For better or worse, this guy has stole more than one headline this year.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Actually, George W. Bush has been chosen twice. Once in 2000 when he was elected, then again in 2004.

If you recall, Time has chosen controversial figures before, for example Ayatullah Khomeini was chosen in 1979, which I remember raised quite a ruckus. He was chosen because of the Hostage Crisis was the leading issue for that year. He was the figure we related to the most with the hostage crisis and that is why so many questioned his being on the front cover of Time Magazine. But going by their criteria of being the most influential person of that year, they were correct in their selection. That is why I voted for Ahmadinejad this year because he has altered out foreign policy more than we care to admit.

Nancy Pelosi is a good choice because she will be the first woman Speaker of the House, which is historic, but she will not take the position until the beginning of next year. If she does win, I can go along with that.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I think the Man of the Year will go to Ahmadinajad. The most dangerous whacko. Il, Pelosi, and Chavez, just as whacky, but not as dangerous.

ALGORE is out. Making a fake documentary didn't quality Michael Moore, so it shouldn't qualify ALGORE.

Bad year for Bush and Rice, they are out.

What is a YouTube anyway? Is that something like an IPOD?

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
What is a YouTube anyway? Is that something like an IPOD?

YouTube is like MySpace, but with video. You can host personal videos and it is also a video host site. If you have watched any recently you were probably watching it on YouTube.

It became extremely popular and was bought out by Google for 1.65 billion dollars, which you can read about it here:

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Cheers.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Well the announcement has been made and the Time Magazine's "Person of the Year" is... drum roll... "YOU".

I kid you not, the POY is "You" and they are going to put on the front cover of the magazine the background of a computer monitor and a piece of reflective mylar that is supposed to reflect the reader's face.

The reasoning was that more people have contributed to various forms of media over the Internet like YouTube and Internet Blogs enough to make everyone see the world in a new way (or something like that).

Well I didn't see that one coming. I don't know what to make of it. In a way I think it makes sense, but in another way it is like they couldn't decide on any one person so they thought they would be creative.

Well I would like to hear what others think of this choice. When it is available I will post a picture of the front cover.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 02:26 AM
link   
OMG! What a load of dung that is.

What good is a "Man of the Year" if you don't choose one?

Way to make the hard choices TIME, What if...

a High School named everyone Valadictorian?

they had a lottery and everyone won?

at the end of the NFL season everyone was MVP?

I could go on and on, but you get the point.

So I am the co-Man of the Year, Whoop de-freaking do! Can I put that on my resume? Will it be mentioned in my obituary?

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Those are horrible, insulting choices.

Dear god, who chose those?

I suppose among those it would have to be either Al Gore or the Youtube Guys.

But dear god...

top topics

join