It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Global Consciousness Project, Global Correlations in Random Data

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Ever heard about such? I came across it in newspaper article and found the website. It's fascinating, though I admit not fully to understand it.

That's why I bring it forward here.

noosphere.princeton.edu...
The Global Consciousness Project, also called the EGG Project, is an international and multidisciplinary collaboration of scientists, engineers, artists and others. This website introduces methods and technology and empirical results in one section, and presents interpretations and applications in another.
We have been collecting data from a global network of random event generators since August, 1998. The network has grown to about 65 host sites around the world running custom software that reads the output of physical random number generators and records a 200-bit trial sum once every second, continuously over months and years. The data are transmitted over the internet to a server in Princeton, NJ, USA, where they are archived for later analysis. Individual data create a tapestry of color. The dot below shows coherence.

The purpose of this project is to examine subtle correlations that appear to reflect the presence and activity of consciousness in the world. The scientific work is careful, but it is at the margins of our understanding. We believe our view may be enriched by a creative and poetic perspective. Here we present various aspects of the project, including some insight into its scientific and philosophical implications.

Here's a shot of the frame it creates (one of several possible displays) it updates continiously thus givng a tapestry image of how the 'vibes' are around the globe.

As I understand it, the idea is to compare global events with the image created to establish correlations.

With my knowledge of electronics on a hobby basis and my basic - but not very comprehensive - understanding of physics I'm not fully able to get how it works.

Expert members, please give it a look. There are pages of technical data and the projejt in full. Maybe someone can put it in more popular terms.

It's definately fascinating...

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Here's a little more info on the project and what it's about (from same page).

The Global Consciousness Project (GCP) is an international effort involving researchers from several institutions and countries, designed to explore whether the construct of interconnected consciousness can be scientifically validated through objective measurement. The project builds on excellent experiments conducted over the past 35 years at a number of laboratories, demonstrating that human consciousness interacts with random event generators (REGs), apparently "causing" them to produce non-random patterns. A description of the technical implementation is given under procedures.

The experimental results clearly show that a broader examination of this phenomenon is warranted. In recent work, prior to the Global Consciousness Project, an array of REG devices in Europe and the US showed non-random activity during widely shared experiences of deeply engaging events. For example, the funeral ceremonies for Princess Diana, and the international Winter Olympics in Nagano, Japan, created shared emotions and a coherence of consciousness that appeared to be correlated with structure in the otherwise random data. In the fully developed project, a world-spanning array of labile REG detectors is connected to computers running software to collect data and send it to a central server via the Internet. This network is designed to document and display any subtle, but direct effects of our collective consciousness reacting to global events. The research hypothesis predicts the appearance of coherence and structure in the globally distributed data collected during major events that engage the world population.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Reminds me a bit of Rupert Sheldrake's work on the theory of "Morphogenic Fields"...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.sheldrake.org...

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 03:56 AM
link   
One of the problems with the project is that they are all too willing to throw out anomalies, thus distorting the data. The other problem is of how to define a significant event. They don't examine anomalies until after an event like 9/11, so any anomalies at other times just don't get examined.

These aren't the only criticisms of the project, and others are definitely not hard to find. There are lots of scientists that have examined the data, and have come up with very different conclusions about it.

www.lfr.org...

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 03:58 AM
link   
A couple from Marin County, California have planned a pretty special event for the winter solstice coming up this Friday. The event itself, called an anti-war demonstration, is part of an experiment in the Global Consciousness Project.

There's further information about it on www.globalorgasm.org

To see what the REGs, Random Event Generators, will record, the couple encourage everybody on this planet on the 22nd of December to have an orgasm. The syncronizing is important.

It is set to be at 1500 hours UTC.

That's 7 AM California, 10 AM on the East Coast, 3 PM in UK, 4 PM on European continent, 6 PM in Russia and Iraq, 10 PM in SE Asia, 11 PM in China and Western Australia and 1 AM on the 23rd in Sydney.

Marin Couple Calls For 'Global Orgasm For Peace'
The Global Orgasm for Peace was conceived by Donna Sheehan, 76, and Paul Reffell, 55, who live together on a houseboat along scenic Tomales Bay in Marin County.

Their immodest goal is for everyone in the world to have an orgasm on December 22 while focusing on world peace.

"The orgasm gives out an incredible feeling of peace during it and after it," Reffell said on Sunday. "Your mind is like a blank. It's like a meditative state. And mass meditations have been shown to make a change."

The couple are no strangers to sex and social activism. Sheehan, no relation to fellow Northern California anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan, brought together nearly 50 women in 2002 who stripped naked and spelled out the word "Peace" on a grassy hillside in Marin County.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

You might say, they're just a couple of old hippies hungry for attention.

Give it a try anyway.

You have exactly 4 days and 5 hours to get in the mood ...or find the partner for the event.

edit to answer

Originally posted by supercheetah
The other problem is of how to define a significant event.

Well, here you got it!

[edit on 18-12-2006 by khunmoon]

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon

Well, here you got it!

Orgasms happen all the time. Humans are pretty freaking horny. I'm pretty certain a large number of happened during the time I typed up this post.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon

Well, here you got it!

Orgasms happen all the time. Humans are pretty freaking horny. I'm pretty certain a large number of happened during the time I typed up this post.

Deaths and births happen all the time as copulations do. They are the most common human events, but if I remember right lovemaking is the one that generates significant energy, in fact on a scale were it's clearly measurable as an electric field.

So if, say twice or thrice as many as average do it, it might be picked up by the REGs. That's the idea, though I from the links provided see it is disputed.

Thanks to Worldwatcher for links to the ATS threads on the subject, I just didn't no they were there, though I always check before I post a new topic.

But I didn't check in the mysterious forum.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
The Global Consciousness thing is on RED right NOW!

noosphere.princeton.edu...

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
maybe i should of started a new thread but i thought it would be interesting to see how this has been doing since japan and OBL

Princeton site

click main results to find there analysis of individual events
edit on 5-5-2011 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join