It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revealed for the First Time Color Images of the Moon from Clementine Satellite

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Undo and Zorg, Great stuff

That�s what I call mind-boggling pics!! Keep up the fabulous work!
Even if these pics are in false color, they are as near reality as possible. Up here on Earth, there is a vast difference in the color of landscapes depending on the time, season, ambient weather conditions and so on. So what the heck if a colorized blue is a little darker than the original blue? It�s a blue anyway and it�s good enough for me!! Why make such a fuss about it? Let's enjoy the moonscapes in glorious color!

Now, Zorg, if you remember, I had suggested you write a book, fully loaded with all these pics and others from your web site. If you�re contemplating doing that, then here�s one for your cover!

Groan!! I can almost hear someone say - "Hey! But that's in false color!!" So be it!!

Cheers!

www.dslreports.com..." border=0>

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 05:15 AM
link   
K. this was the closest i could come to it as it was lagging really bad. Not sure if its because so many people are using it or what, but it kept timing out. It's big so I'm going to link to it instead of posting it in the thread

thestargates.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 05:21 AM
link   
it is not in false color. it's in albedo (natural color). you can select none stretch if you don't want the over saturation and it's still blue and gold, just not as blue or as gold, but darn close.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 07:20 AM
link   
to me the moon sometimes looks translucent and there are alot of "bright" spots on it which seems to be emminating from underneath the surface, theres alot of stories that the aliens live underground but who knows for sure

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jraThe images are also not in true colour, they are false colour. If you read the top of this link that you posted here: ser.sese.asu.edu... you'll notice it says...

Colors are formed by displaying the 950 nm mosaic in red, the 750 nm mosaic in green, and the 415 nm mosaic in blue.

Yea, thats why some pix have that weird overlap effect that you get from some stereo pix. Infact using the filter info you could produce a kind of pseudo stereo effect.

You get a similar effect by holding one polarised lens in front of one eye only while looking at objects with both eyes.

The coloration is nothing to do with making things pretty or holding back color images (really...why?) its just help the feeble human eye process the information better.

As for black and white photos they can reveal more detail, thats what old reconaisence did. A lot of animals see in black and white and see to a better degree than us. Color processing is something that humans like really.

Just the same information processed differently. Might be worth a go though.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I think these photos are great, but why is this on the "Aliens & UFOs" forum?

Until now, at least, I think this should be in the "Space Exploration" forum, unless there is something that I had not noticed and that makes this really a "Aliens & UFOs" post.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo
K. this was the closest i could come to it as it was lagging really bad. Not sure if its because so many people are using it or what, but it kept timing out. It's big so I'm going to link to it instead of posting it in the thread

thestargates.com...

OK... here is something I found in the above image that was linked by undo.
Bottom left of the crater... I found the image below.. I have only adjusted the brightness / contrast and cropped it to see this better but it stood out to me instantly.

And here is the image that I immediately thought of... the Barton Hill crop circle... better known from the Led Zeppelin album cover.

Strange coincidence?? but the similarities to me are overwhelming... take note of the concentric circles within each one and the ones that are solid. To me it is an amazing likeness... anyone else have any ideas?

[edit on 16-12-2006 by simon_alex0327]

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 08:35 AM
link   
simon_alex0327,

On the first pic you linked to go and check out the area on the right side of that black area where you see the album cover image, and yes it does look very much like the album cover.
Besdies the blacked out areas, yes this is another possible cover-up, you will see some sticklike/scaffoldinglike structures to the right of the blacked out areas. I have no idea what would cause them to form naturally since they don't match up to anything else I have seen on the Moon.
I would post a link to my pic, but i'm not the best at this yet so I will email it to anyone who wants to post it for me.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   
This one I call "And God said, 'Let there be....'"

This, to me, looks like light issuing from the mouth of some big entity in the process of creation.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I call this one "Sliver". It has several anomalous things going on, which I've pointed out with the pink arrows and labelled A, B and C.

A) The texture of the center of the "Crater" appears incomplete, allowing you to see through to the ground underneath, that also seems to be backlit.

B) The "Crater" wall is apparently partially translucent, as you can see the center area through the wall

C) Same as B)

Further comments:

To me it seems as if several of these "Craters", which appear with blue on the top, white on the bottom, texturized surfaces, and odd central textures that often look like various critters of earthly origin (and sometimes a few unearthly things as well) have been texturized to camoflage them or perhaps even to accentuate them. The centers often don't fit the craters. The craters appear in various sizes and shapes and angles. They often cast impossible shadows for structures that are supposedly always flat on the ground. In some cases, the texturized surface appears to be hiding a brilliant blue underlying ring. And they are frequently backlight. Here's another example

Notice how the long thing in the center is actually visible through the side of the "Crater" wall and the texturization of the crater wall itself, appears to be covering up a beautiful blue ring

[edit on 16-12-2006 by undo]

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
I think these photos are great, but why is this on the "Aliens & UFOs" forum?

Until now, at least, I think this should be in the "Space Exploration" forum, unless there is something that I had not noticed and that makes this really a "Aliens & UFOs" post.

I couldnt agree more.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   
This one I call "Gold Cone". It looks like it's a gold/bronze metallic thing with a glowing base. The base appears to be (at least partially) reflecting off the glass-like surface it is supposedly sitting on. This is on the bottom of the big Reiner Crater/Reiner Gamma pic that Zorgon posted earlier in this thread

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I call this one "Blue Fish Goes Camping." This to me, looks like a blue fish with black fins and snail-like eye stalks, emerging from a hole in the center of the crater. You can even see the little veins under his skin on his head. This is from the farside

Here's a close-up of his head

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Saviour Of The Real

ALL the Clementine images have been available to the public to download for free (or you can buy a complete set on CD-ROM) from NASA since 1994.

the USGS PDS Map-A-Planet is really nothing new, it�s just new to YOU. It�s based on this�

Clementine Lunar Basemap Image Mosaics on CD-ROM (PDS)
nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Is there some reason unknown to me why this post is completely ignored? Is the information inaccurate or something?

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Is there some reason unknown to me why this post is completely ignored? Is the information inaccurate or something?

One thing at a time! I'm still listing out the anomalies from the USGS *****COLOR***** pics. Sheesh. I've bookmarked that page and will comment it when I get around to it.

Just quickly scanned it. Not bad! Not color, but not bad! But to see full res, you need to download NASAView software, give them your name and email address. (which I'm doing now). Too bad they aren't in color. :/ It's hard to tell other important things about the features when its all in grey scale. It helps to determine geological data, I suppose, but whether or not it reveals what some of these anomalies are when their true color is applied, is another story altogether.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saviour Of The Real

Let�s see if I can try to explain the �color� a little better. The image above was taken with the UV/Vis camera with the 1000 nm filter.

nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Clementine had five different imaging systems on-board. The UV/Visible camera had a filter wheel with six different filters, ranging from 415 nm to 1000 nm, and including a broad-band filter covering 400 to 950 nm. The Near Infrared camera also had a six-filter wheel, ranging from 1100 nm to 2690 nm. The Longwave Infrared camera had a wavelength range of 8000 to 9500 nm. The Hi-Res imager had a broad-band filter from 400 to 800 nm and four other filters ranging from 415 to 750 nm. The Star Tracker camera was also used for imaging.

Now here�s the same crater looked at in a different way�

www.lpi.usra.edu...

Full size� (too big)

www.lpi.usra.edu...

Note READ CAREFULLY what the caption says�

This is a false color image of the crater Tycho (43 deg S, 11 deg W; 85 km diameter). Although the natural color of the Moon is a brownish-gray, the color here has been artificially "stretched" by computer to aid in visual interpretation. The central peak complex (center) shows a blue coloration, indicating that different rocks occur here than elsewhere in the crater. The color images provided by the Clementine spacecraft will allow us to map rock types over the entire Moon.

Now here�s a true albedo representation of the Moon�

The �color� images you�re looking at are HIGHLY DECIEVING. Here�s another example�

astrogeology.usgs.gov...

Full size� (too big again)

astrogeology.usgs.gov...

Please read this carefully�

This mosaic of Clementine UVVIS images covers the center of the impact crater Tycho. It was formed when a large meteorite (or comet) slammed into the Moon. The version on the right is a 3 color composite (415 nm, 750 nm, 1000 nm); the version in the center is a color composite of wavelength ratios which show different rock and soil types. Note the distinct color difference of the central peak due to excavation of deep material during the impact that formed the crater. The ratio image on the left enhances an unusual polygonal pattern in the floor of the crater. The origin of this feature is not clear, however future work using all 11 wavelengths collected by the UVVIS and NIR cameras will most likely reveal the origin of these enigmatic "cracks".

Now here�s what appears to me to be a deliberate attempt by Zorgon to DECIEVE and OBFUSCATE the truth�

Originally posted by zorgon
Clementine Images: Full Color ISIS Mapper with 0.1 Resolution

pdsmaps.wr.usgs.gov...

ON LIGHT SOURCE AND THE COLOR IMAGES

Before you comment on the color seen in these images...

The page settings that we have directly linked to above are the Albedo Intermediate Version

That�s what it �says� but that�s NOT what it is. It uses the MULTI DATA SET by default OVERLAYED on the Albedo set as defined by this�

PDS MAP-A-PLANET Help Page Data Sets
pdsmaps.wr.usgs.gov...

Lunar Data Sets Supported

The moon_clementine_bw is the Clementine Lunar 750nm basemap data
The moon_clementine_bw or Clementine "albedo" is the brightness of the Moon as measured at 750 nm wavelength by the UVVIS camera. It is a black-and-white image.

Anyway, hope that helps.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saviour Of The Real
And continue to ignore the technical information about wavelengths and colors that has already been given to you to help you understand what you�re actually looking at? Okey dokey.

So when the USGS says they are NORMAL COLOR I should assume they are LYING?

Yes WE KNOW the images have been around since 1994 DUH Thats when Clementine took them...

If you had read my posts (#2680472 on page 2] where I said "Psssttt they are 12 years old" you would have realized that we are indeed aware of this.

The point is they are now being released to the public in color

The point is they show VERY OBVIOUS EDITING and very clever insertions.

The fact that you have an animosity towards John has been made very clear in many of your posts, and it seems to blind you from the point we are making here, but thats okay... I am sure many others are enjoying the new view of the moon that they have seen for the first time in such magnificent splendor, no matter what may be in them.

But thank you for the links
Always looking for more info. Helps with our HOMEWORK

Now then I wonder what the Heck THIS is?

[edit on 16-12-2006 by zorgon]

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I read up on the USGS PDS site and this is what it says about the Albedo (natural color):

Clementine UltraViolet-Visible (UVVIS) 5-band Mosaic This multi-spectral lunar DIM is a radiometrically and geometrically controlled, photometrically modeled global image mosaic compiled using more than 400,000 images from multiple filter observations of the Ultraviolet/Visible (UVVIS) camera onboard the Clementine Spacecraft. The DIM mosaic is mapped in the Sinusoidal Equal-Area projection at a resolution of 100 meters per pixel. Five spectral bands are presented at 415, 750, 900, 950, 1000 nm wavelengths. Final PDS archive volumes CL_4001 through CL_4078 were produced in July, 1999 by the Astrogeology Team of the U.S. Geological Survey, in cooperation with University of Arizona (Lunar and Planetary Laboratory) and Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.

Err, wait, that's for the multiband. Which you can order from them. I wonder what it looks like in color!

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR

On an unrelated note.. One of the main drawbacks with this research is we are looking at flat maps, it's very hard to judge the 3-D characteristics of these formations

Ah yes I am glad you brought that up Steve..

You did know that the LIDAR topography selection on the USGS imager gives you height? Not quite 3d but it does give altitude relief

Didn't mention that yet... I figured there was more than enough stuff to see right now... and its not easy to use the zoom tool has bugs on that feature so you have to make your resolution and image size carefully and hunt your spot. Its not as high a resolution, but interesting.

I think they are still working on it

Try also the "Shaded Relief Airbrush"

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
The fact that you have an animosity towards John has been made very clear in many of your posts, and it seems to blind you from the point we are making here, but thats okay... I am sure many others are enjoying the new view of the moon that they have seen for the first time in such magnificent splendor, no matter what may be in them.

My animosity? You posted a highly insulting quote from John Lear about the quality of NASA's work. Is that the point you're trying to make here or is it just to look at pretty pictures? If it's the later than I agree with ArMaP that this thread belongs in a diiferent forum. If it's the former then perhaps this thread belongs in Skunk Works because it's pure unfounded speculation. These are NOT � Aliens & UFOs � Revealed for the First Time Color Images of the Moon from Clementine Satellite

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join