It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holy **** I just discovered Blender!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I know, I know, but Johnsky, Blender is a really old program.

No kidding, and I can't believe I haven't used it earlier!

Originally I was using AutoCAD for my 3d art... yes, AutoCAD, most of you remember it as that aweful program that required alot of math, and ended up with a few lines on a black screen... well you just didn't know how to use it, neither did I back then... but...

Here's some of the things I did with AutoCAD.
ATLAS
SUNRINGS
GUITAR ROOM

Now, those are all nice and all, and I'm proud of them... but there is one fundamental flaw with AutoCAD that has really P**SED me off for quite some time... You just can't make natural objects, like skin, etc.

Now that I'm using Linux, I found Blender. It was part of the synaptic package manager.

Here's what I'm currently working on...
UNFINISHED FACE

Now, sure it doesnt look like much right now... but it's still in shaded wireframe mode, so theres no texturing or anything, only the polygons.
AND GET THIS, That was my FIRST attempt EVER at drawing a face... going pretty well eh?

I highly suggest if you want to try a 3d program download Blender... it takes a few hours to ajust to, but you'll get the hang of it alot faster than say, 3DS MAX... man, I still loathe that program.

Anyhow, if there are any other 3d artists out there who want to critique my work so far, feel free, any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Johnsky.

Edn

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Its a great program Its getting a lot more attention it deserves after Elephants Dreams was released which is always great for the open source community. I've only played with it though, id love to see it used more in commercial productions.

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Okay, here's the unfinished face so far, I just put another half hour into it...

UNFINISHED FACE

Still alot to model, and alot to ajust on the face itself... I hate that nose, It's giving me a headache.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Ahhhhh a person after my own heart; a fellow blender head!

It is a cool piece of software. The best thing about it is it being open source and very powerful modelling and rendering 3D. A lot of people don't know it can do animations and has a build in video editor. You can even develop your own scripts to make it do crazy things, but little me isn't advanced enough to know how to do that.

Here are some of my pics:

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Very cool machinery art.

I've allways said the most notable art is that of a well designed machine.

What's it of?

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   
It was going to be a mech. I only got as far as the legs, and then put it away for another day. I was thinking along the lines of a mech used in construction. Sort of like a walking piece of heavy equipment.

new topics

top topics

join