It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cleric / Terrorist Near Death May Promote Attacks In U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Cleric Omar Abdel Rahman, who was sentenced to life in prison in a plot to blow up New York City landmarks, may be near death. There are fears that his death could trigger attacks in the United States. The cleric was considered to be the spiritual leader of several of the men who bombed the World Trade Center in February 1993. The cleric had called for retaliation by terrorist if he died in custody. In his will distributed by al-Qaida he pleaded for followers to extract the most violent revenge should he die in U.S. custody. He is suffering from diabetes which has also threatened the loss of his limbs.

www.nydailynews.com
Abdel-Rahman was also considered the spiritual leader of several men who bombed New York�s World Trade Center in February, 1993.

In a two-page bulletin, dated Dec. 8, the FBI reported to federal intelligence officials that Rahman was rushed from prison to a Missouri hospital two days earlier for a blood transfusion. There, doctors discovered a tumor on Rahman's liver, according to the bulletin, which was described to The Associated Press by a law enforcement official.

Officials said the bulletin served merely as a reminder that Rahman had called for retaliation by terror sympathizers if he died in prison. It cited a May 1998 press conference where al-Qaida members distributed his last will and testament, in which Rahman pleaded for followers to "extract the most violent revenge" should he die in U.S. custody.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This news article does specify that there is not credible threat at this time. However I am sure most law enforcement officials would say that the threat is real. It is a good thing that he was caught when he was. A terrorist is jail is safer then on then being free. But that brings the next question. Is a dead terrorist safer then a live one? I think it will be. Despite the calls for extreme violence I do think the world will be a safer place when the terrorist is no longer with us. I suppose the threat of new violence is nothing to new, although be it, the terrorist passing is U.S. custody will be something new to deal with.

Related News Links:
abclocal.go.com
www.foxnews.com
counterterrorismblog.org

new topics

join