It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Footwear for longterm outdoor use?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I paid $150.00 (1991) for a pair of Danner boots. I trudged through the mountains and backwoods of Arkansas for a year in those babies and they're still good boots. I'm basically a barefoot kind of girl myself but walking on rocks all day is brutal (even with boots on). One thing I loved about these boots is that they are the only footwear I've ever even heard of that really didn't require breaking in. They were comfortable the minute I put them on and they've stayed that way (yes, I still have and wear them). I use Thor-lo socks but bring a lighter pair for backup/change when those get hot or sweaty. Haven't seen Danner boots in any of the shoe stores where I live but they are available on line. Much more expensive, of course, but one of the very few survival items worth paying top dollar for. They're light-weight and for every pound you can take off your feet, you can add 5 pounds to your backpack. I do carry those foam type bandages for any foot blisters that may come up (haven't needed to use them yet) because if you're on foot in a survival situation, taking care of your feet is key to your continued survival.

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Up here in Alaska I usually wear Jungle Boots until it gets down to zero. Once you break them in they form to your feet and are very comfortable. They are so light it feels like you are running around with no shoes on. I can usually get about 3-5 years out of a pair with heavy use so that is definitely a plus.

Once it dips below zero I start wearing a gortex style boot. They are pretty warm and offer a good deal of protection to your feet.

When the temps drop to -30 to -60 I wear insulated rubber boots. I can stay outside for hours in -50 with those boots and plain white socks and my feet only feel a little cold...add heavy wool socks and you are good to go.

If any of you ever face extreme cold, remember to layer your clothes as it will keep you warmer than some huge, over-bearing coat. That and good gloves...those things are like gold here.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I've had the same pair of black steel-toed boots for the past 7 years. The only thing I've had to replace were the laces a few times, possibly because I tie my shoes too tight. Perfect for snow too. They're looking pretty scratched up, but they do the job.

What kind/style of laces would people recommend? Since that seems to be my biggest problem is that they break every year or so. Also they seem to come untied easily, the round laces are brutal for that. Maybe I should switch over to some flat ones. What kind of laces does the army use... perhaps a stupid question.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by shadow watcher
I remember seeing somewhere that using old tire treads for the bottoms of shoes works well. I guess when the time came to repair worn soles, this might do.

Yea that'swhat the Japs done.
I remember a few years ago an old Imperial soldier coming out of the jungle decades after WW2 and he siad that's what they done. Worked for him

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by nowthenlookhere
I guess it depends where you're living, but if snow and ice isn't involved, wouldn't bare feet or sandals be be the best long term option? Zero risk of trench foot for a start! The feet soon toughen up... and we evolved without shoes over millions of years..

Of course in some environments this may be impractical, but if it's warm enough to have bare hands, it's warm enough for bare feet.

This from an all year round urban sandal wearer..

Where your living is right. A lot of those indigenous peoples don't have footwear as such and they will see off any survivalist on their patch

I know that the feet are pretty adaptive. When I was into athletics years ago I was doing heavy mileage and the feet were suffering, being locked in position by shoes. So I started training barefoot to give the feet a break. It took time and hurt for a bit but I was amazed at the results. Sand, stones, concrete no problem. I never sunburnt my feet either but accept that a possibility. The calves and feet had a different definition to them. The only problem I noticed was at one stage I felt a squishy bit underfoot. Turned out to be an old blister or something deep under the callous that had got pussy. It was weird just cut it out and way I went!!!

I am not advocating barefoot though, my feet ain't scorpion proof.

I suggest buy something and try it out a l lot for a long time before you need it. I remember buying a hi tech high capacity backpack, tried it in the store thought it was great. Left it stored until I needed it...most useless piece of excrement I ever had.

I got a pair of boots, cant remember from where and see no label and I used them everywhere, hot or cold. I would have said couldn't be bettered. They were like an old friend if you know what I mean. I think thats part of it trust in your equipment. Buying new and hoping it works when needed..mmmm dodgy. Anyway these boots were great. Then in the Artic Circle I changed my mind. The locals were using boots with removable liners converted
Next time I go that way..oh yes.

I did not do the full local thing like the Sami though...

I am sure there ain't no all round solution though. I look at nature and see that all species adapt to whatever environment they are in...adapt or die.

To think that man can make something suitable for all environs and better nature is folly I reckon.

Try and buy.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I think the next time the occassion arises I am going to try to revive my boots with treads. I figure one tire could make a dozen shoes. I figure just make a template and cut em up. The only thing is what to cut with. Those treads are tough.

The Japanese eh? Now I wonder where I got the idea from?

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
What kind/style of laces would people recommend? Since that seems to be my biggest problem is that they break every year or so. Also they seem to come untied easily, the round laces are brutal for that. Maybe I should switch over to some flat ones. What kind of laces does the army use... perhaps a stupid question.

The nylon laces have always worked well for me. To keep your laces from coming undone simply tie them and tuck them into your boot. It will feel wierd the first few times but after time you won't even notice. This method also keeps your laces from snagging something while running.

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
ShadowWatcher,

That's a great idea, using tires for shoe bottoms! Tires may not have many other uses after SIT X. The only thing I can think of to cut them might be some very large tin snips, cause they do have metal in them.

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I always buy Chippewas. I had a pair left over from my JROTC days when I went into construction. At the concrete sand plant I started out on, we had this problem with the well cavitating that frequently resulted in the new guy (me) standing in 4"+ deep mud with a firehose trying to get all the mud off of the deck. I put some water repellant oil on those babies and they were bouyant- kept me bone dry. Then I transfered to an asphalt plant. For eight months I abused the hell out of those boots. Sometimes I spent the whole day in the water, when we couldn't get a loader to take our samples we'd just dump on the ground and I'd have to walk up a pile of 300 degree asphalt to get a temperature. They've had diesel, tack oil, hot asphalt oil, sparks from a cutting torch, water and constant work on rocky ground. When I lost the job they were ugly as sin, but still serviceable.

They weren't the most comfortable boots I ever had- they fit to snug at the top and the tounge was too thin, so the laces got at the tops of my feet, but I never blistered.

I've found that socks are very important too. In boot camp we had thorloughs, and they were ever recruit's favorite thing during the crucible. Have a few pairs of those so that you can keep your socks clean and dry. Before I started oiling my boots to waterproof them, being consistently wet gave me this nasty fungus that ate the skin right off of my feet- it just peeled away in huge strips- very unpleasant.

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Jungle boots are great for soft and sandy ground but for rocky and stony ground will tear them up fairly quick. Belleville and Altama boots will stand up as well as the prisoner made, steel toed combat boots aka 'black Cadillacs' for you old school US military types. The Belleville boots are much more comfortable then combat or linemen's boots issued to the US military and stand up very well to abuse. They started issuing them back in 2000 and my feet were very grateful for them.

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 03:06 AM
link   
A good pair of Asolo boots and gatiers for most conditions I'd say...in sub-zero temps a pair of Sorel boots w/layers of wool socks for me...?

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 11:11 PM
link   
For most of you "Lower-48'ers" that live in cold climates (Wisconsin, North Dakota, Montana)..I'd suggest buying a pair of millitary surplus "Bunny Boots" ... probably the most economical as well as WARM boots you'll ever own.

I think they run about 50-100$, but they are all rubber on the outside (provide an excellent vapor barrier) as well as have internal air "pockets" for additional insulation.

I have known people to have tested these mil. spec boots in ambient (not windchill) temperatures of -40F without their toes going numb. Good socks are a must inside "Bunny Boots"...see my thread on "Horray for Wool" for a good brand of wool socks.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 10:10 AM
link   
bobbys in england? and further bobbys in england wear doc martins? sure some do, but i've never heard of that, not that its ever came up in conversation with the old bill but I think that one is a bit 'quaint' or somethin

My last two pairs of boots, and my current pair of cross trainer/walking shoe things have all been karrimor, very good value for what i have had to do in them.

Leather is probably much better for boots, but its slightly more upkeep or they go south quick.

Not saying i've been climing mountins every weekend, but i have worked as a contractor for the water board, and had to ride m/cycles on a daily basis (100mph and rain 250 mile ride - yet to get there with dry socks!)

[edit on 9-1-2007 by Now_Then]

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   
The problem that I see with most of the suggestions here so far is that the footgear that has been reccommended are the readily available / store brought shoes. Now these will be good for a while, and in some cases years. the problem though is that they will not always be there.
Also you need to factor in the need for children to constantly get new footwear due to growth.
While my group and I have both the winter nomacs as well as the jungle boots, we also have plans to make the good ole mocosins as a fall back for when there needs to be new footgear made.
They are great for stealth, they protect ones feet from most sharp objects, if you include the fur then you have an excellent winter wear.
By conditioning them with animal fat you can also make them water proof.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I just purchased a pair of Muck boots $66.95
They are waterproof, no zipper or lace to worry about and they go on and off with ease, also plenty of room for socks.

www2.yardiac.com...

…we also have plans to make the good ole mocosins as a fall back for when there needs to be new footgear made.

Do you have a pattern for them and what materials will you be using?

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Here is a link for moccasin patterns

As for materials, we are planning on using natural materials such as hides sewn to rubber soles that can be made from old tires. years ago there was a fad shoe that was made of similar materials.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Here is a link for moccasin patterns

Thanks!!!

Wonderful information and the sight is very informative. It seems my list of preparedness items keeps getting larger.

Today, included in my water bill was a bulletin in regards to the "Pandemic Influenza". My guess is it would be off topic to post the contents here, but it strongely suggests a "camp at home" scenario and that it could be long term.

Do you have any suggestions or know of any websites that contain information on detoxing the air (non-electrical solutions)?

I purchased Eucalyptus Oil (to boil in water) for that, but, I am not sure it will be strong enough to decontaminate something of this type.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I have worn leather sandals made with tire tread soles and they held up wonderfully. I also have worn moccasins for long trail trips and again, they were practical and sturdy. Both of these are easy to repair which is very important in a survival situation. When I lived deep in the Amazon, the natives went exclusively barefoot and shunned any attempt to offer them footwear. They walked over rough terrain, thorny plants and through rocky streams, all without pause. The human foot is a marvel of evolutionary design and if you give them time to toughen up they can take you almost anywhere.

On that note, of natural shoeless travel, tell me what you think of this from Vibram: Five Finger Shoes

You may also wish to read this about shoeless travel: Bare Foot Hiking

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 06:22 AM
link   
i work for a local sheriff's office search and rescue team, and good boots are not just nice but are manditory. having said that you can get good boots mail order if you live in the boonies as i do but i strongly suggest that if possible you go to a store( rei, big 5, cabelas, outdoor world, ect.. )and actuall try on the various boots. you will find that millitary boots are okay but as they say made by the lowest bidder , i have done well with danner, rocky, asolo, and such. and on the subject low quarter boots are not bad boots you just need to know where you are going to wear them, even high tops can fill with water in so situations , one real good item is gaiters , if you don't know what they are gaitors are like a protective wrap that go from your ankles to about the knee over your boots and pants and keep moisture and stickers and such out of your boots. also you can get goretex socks which are in fact like a little boot liner more than a sock but they will keep your feet dry in real wet countyr. r-18

top topics

<< 1   >>

join