It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicken/Trout Hypnotism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I was just surfing, when i stumbled on this interesting fact, and wondered if anyone knew why, i didn't know what topic to put this under, but thought a scientific explanation could be offered...?

A chicken can be hypnotized, or put into a trance by holding its head down against the ground, and continuously drawing a line along the ground with a stick or a finger, starting at its beak and extending straight outward in front of the chicken. If the chicken is hypnotized in this manner, it will remain immobile for somewhere between 15 seconds and 30 minutes, continuing to stare at the line.

H B Gibson, in his book Hypnosis - its Nature and Therapeutic Uses, states that the record period for a chicken remaining in hypnosis is 3 hours 47 minutes.

en.wikipedia.org...

One version on how to hypnotise a chicken.
www.zyra.tv...

I had to laugh at his last comment.

* It's important to be fair to animals. Although I eat chickens, I have never eaten a chicken which I have hypnotised.

Trouts are similar, neither of these two are like snake charming as the snakes are either badly mistreated, such as sewing up their mouths, defanging them.

More drastic means of protection include removing the creature's fangs or venom glands, or even sewing the snake's mouth shut.

And far from being put in a trance they have to be trained.

At home, snake charmers keep their animals in containers such as baskets, boxes, pots, or sacks. They must then train the creatures before bringing them out into public. For those charmers who do not de-fang their pets, this may include introducing the snake to a hard object similar to the punji. The snake supposedly learns that striking the object only causes pain.

Trouts.

Trout tickling is the art of rubbing the underbelly of a trout using fingers. The trout will go into a trance-like state after a minute or so, and can then easily be thrown onto the nearest bit of dry land.

en.wikipedia.org...

So maybe a bizarre and pointless thread, but whats your opinions on this.
Human hypnotism is another thing, but obviously related, how and why are we affected by this, animals and all.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Samething can be done with sharks. If you flip them upside down they go into a hypnotic state. Makes doing research a lot safer for scientist.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
What a neat and fascinating post!

I knew something about the cobras (poor things) and knew about the chicken and trout, though I've never tried either for myself. It seems as though if you could do it to a chicken, maybe you could do it to another bird?

And the shark thing is interesting, too!

Not quite a trance, but you can (usually) calm and control a cat by holding it by the scruff of the neck. It will and can struggle but if you hit the right spot, it'll stay mostly quiet as you handle it. That's hardwired from the way mama cats carry their babies... can't do it if the little dickens is wiggling all over the place.

Don't know about dogs. I don't think they have enough loose skin at the neck (most of them) for scruff control.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
What a neat and fascinating post!

I knew something about the cobras (poor things) and knew about the chicken and trout, though I've never tried either for myself. It seems as though if you could do it to a chicken, maybe you could do it to another bird?

And the shark thing is interesting, too!

Not quite a trance, but you can (usually) calm and control a cat by holding it by the scruff of the neck. It will and can struggle but if you hit the right spot, it'll stay mostly quiet as you handle it. That's hardwired from the way mama cats carry their babies... can't do it if the little dickens is wiggling all over the place.

Don't know about dogs. I don't think they have enough loose skin at the neck (most of them) for scruff control.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   
My Grandmother taught me to hypnotize the hens when I gathered their eggs..... She did it a bit different, pointing at the hen's beak, and 'drawing' a circle in the air, getting closer and closer, till she could slip her hand into the nest while the hen stared off into space.

It only lasted a few seconds, nothing like that other method.......I'll have to give that a try next time I have a chicken handy!

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   
First you have to catch the trout as I have never in all my years of fishing had a trout sit and wait to see if you are going to hypnotize it or grab it. However I have found that you can immobilize lots of trout at one time by use of dynamite. They tend to float right to the top and just lay there upside down. I guess this is when I would tickle their bellies?

As for grabbing cats and dogs (hounds) by the scruff of the neck, I believe it has more to do with weight and balance. I think they know that they are virtually helpless in this position. I often helped my Daschund (Dachshund) up on to the sofa this way although I never lifted him too high or for too long as it is not (although painless) good for their backs.

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Haha I have never tried "trout tickling" but when our work gets live fish tanks I will give it a try.

To add my two cents, I have heard the same thing about lobsters. You stand them up on their heads or something and you can just make them stay there for hours. I have never got it to work, although I only tried it a couple times and I didn't read the instructions too carefully.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 03:28 AM
link   
And remembered i had made this thread.

Video.

[edit on 28-2-2007 by Denied]

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Classic stuff here, Denied

Thanks for bringing this back from the lost. So funny "I never eat a chicken I hypnotized"

Going crosseyed must do something major to the brain, like in those Magic Eye pictures where you stare at it with a half crosseyed glaze and you can see the three dimensional images.

new topics

top topics

join