It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Video Game Controversy ?....please...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   

DALLAS, Texas (Reuters) -- A Christian video game has become the latest battleground in America's "culture" wars, with its maker claiming it promotes prayer while critics charge it carries a message of violent religious intolerance.

"Left Behind: Eternal Forces," is a teen-rated PC strategy game based on the wildly popular "Left Behind" Christian book series created by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins.

The game is set in New York City after millions of Christians have been transported to heaven.

- LINK -

So a Christian based video game is influencing youth to commit violence against non- believers ? What a crock !! The same people making these ridiculous accusations (hopefully are/ or should be) the ones protesting the GTA series, and every other first person shoot em' up for that matter. Video games don't kill people, people do.

This game is not propaganda. It is not force feeding conversion. Christians have the same media available, to procure at their discretion. The game is here's the kicker: MARKETED to the Christian demographic. What is funny is that if there were a game (if not already) whereas the main character was say Satan himself, going on a rampage in New York City killing Christians, there wouldn't be such a stink.

A video game that is based upon the teachings of the Book of Revalations, and the Tribulation I see no problem with. According to these teachings, it will be a very turbulent and violent time for Christians. The "believers" who do not take the "mark"will be those who are persecuted. So what is the big deal to non-believers if this is all just "fictional" ?

Mod Edit: External Source Tags � Please Review This Link.

[edit on 17/12/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
well the article doesnt say its leading children to acts of violence. the main issue is its not just a religious game, its a game that discriminates other religions(non-believers). i agree that it shouldnt be pulled from the shelves, just as i would argue that satanic bibles should not be pulled from any shelves. if we are to live with freedom of religion/opinion that door has to swing both ways.

i have a problem with this game because it tells ppl(that cant think for themselves) that if they pray after murdering *non-believers* its ok becuase they just washed their souls clean. now with other games they do not do this. as you know in GTA if you commit a crime you are a criminal, and will be hunted down(until the cops give up that is). there is a punishment for this act, but this game says there is no punishment becuase they are of a certain faith, now this moves into a moral issue.

with that said i still dont think it should be taken from shelves.

if ppl dont buy games made by chirstains or any other agenda pushing faction , these groups wont make money, so they wont make future games.

ive played many games where the devil was the big cheese at the end of the maze(PAINKILLER), but i never felt that killin was a soul redemption type of thing, it was a means to an end. this game says that its the main point(to remove curupt souls). and when your target audience is a bunch of extremists that can go bad quick.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Glyph_D, I have to agree totally with your post. I don't think they should be so extreme with the workings of the game.

link   
second point i forgot to mention:

let say the rapture comes and i dont get whisked away with the others. i dont want some dousche bag shooting at me just so he can earn points to go to heaven. that is what this game suggests, now i wont play the game but i wonder if there are ppl with in the game that arent for/against. if there is what happens to these ppl, i know that the player must convert them but what if the NPC doesnt want conversion? is it standard procedure to kill them? like the ppl of islam?

link   
I am going to surprise everyone and agree with Disavowed on this.. While I may be somewhat critical of mainstream Christianity, I fail to see what the stink is over this game. There are games that have as dark, if not darker, connotations to it.

Folks, you have heard the saying, "It's just a movie?" Well. I am going to say that folks, it's just a game. I have never bought into the whole argument that the media, whatever form that it may be, causes people to commit violent acts.

People who commit violent acts and then use the media as an excuse for their actions are just trying to circumvent personal responsibility. Hey, I have watched horror movies all of my life. It is about the only genre of movie that I throughly enjoy, yet, I have never committed a violent act against another.

This game, while I certainly will never buy it, is no better or worse than "Resident Evil" or any war game that one may purchase. I think that people need to step back, take a deep breath and examine what is really going on.

[edit on 16-12-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beer_Guy
Glyph_D, I have to agree totally with your post. I don't think they should be so extreme with the workings of the game.

yeah its a moral issue that these ppl should take responsiblity for.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   
SpeakerofTruth i agree with you but...

resident evil and many other game that get flak for violence, are a bunch of games that have impossible scenerios within them in other words complete fiction.

regardless if you or any one believes in the rapture or not, the target audeince is a group of believers. they ARE waiting for that day to come. would you wait for the day zombies take over your city? i doubt that.

its a potential time bomb

even worse still is that the game probly quotes scripture in it to support its story. offering a realm of belief that these ppl already have faith in.

[edit on 16-12-2006 by Glyph_D]

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Well, I can tell you now, Glyph, I certainly do not buy into La Haye whole escapist philosophy... To me, the man has used it as a way to make money..

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I have a link that was started after I read the aricle on the BBC concerning the game.

Here is my little "rant" which will also address answering your question as to what the issue is about.

The point is that Christianity is hijacked, and doesnt remotley resemble anything the Bible teaches...people just listen to "leaders".
Paul said, "you have no need for a teacher, the holy spirit is in you".

But so many christians doubt they can learn only with the spirit, and pull verses from the Bible to support their over reliance on Christian Zionist, kingdom on earth mentality, which is what God Jesus killed to begin with.

- again, I am not religious in the common sense of the word, this is only a pointer to the inconsistency with the modern day evangelical community.

Peace

dAlen

[edit on 17-12-2006 by dAlen]

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 08:30 AM
link   
DAlen,
I completely agree with you, and if you have ever read any of my posts concerning Christianity, that is my whole point.. You summed my view up nicely.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   
i have a problem with the game, not because of it's violent content, it's just the dispensationalist propaganda in there

there should just be a little warning along with the rating for the game about the religious aspect

new topics

top topics

join