It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1000's of ducks mysteriously dying in Idaho

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 10:20 AM
link   
More than 2000 mallards drop dead. It's unknown whether these ducks are spreading an infection amongst each other or if they are getting it from some source at this time. The Department of Homeland Security has also been brought in to investigate.

extra DIV

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Homeland Security? Did they take over the Centers for Disease Control or something?

If it's not bird flu, and such high numbers in a single day play against that, I would guess some kind of industrial/chemical polution scenario or maybe those mysterious chemtrails...

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   
So we're waiting to see if the tests come back and confirm or refute that its bird flu.

EVERYONE ON BOARD CROSS YOUR FINGERS.

This could get very bad, very quick. Probably won't, but that Survivalist Forum might be very timely.

BTW, Regenmacher, thats a damned professional post you've made. Heck, it could've been an ATSNN article. Seriously, good job on it.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
Homeland Security? Did they take over the Centers for Disease Control or something?

You got me Gools why DHS is involved. Maybe they think it falls under a national security threat, if they being subjected to a bio-toxin? I would think poison would effect more than just mallards though.

Ducks' deaths a mystery Denver Post
Game and the US Department Of Homeland Security were testing tissue samples Wednesday, hoping to rule out an Avian Flu outbreak.

"I've never seen anything like this in 20 years here," he said. "There were dead mallards everywhere - in the water and on the banks. It was odd, they were in a very small area."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Thanks Nygdan for the kind words

[edit on 14-12-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Since they are all in a very small area, I don't know if I can buy the bacterial infection explanation. You wouldn't think they'd all drop dead in the same place at the same time, unless it was very fast acting. I just don't see that.

It suggests poisoning, in my not-so expert opinion.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   
They are also hinting at fungal spores that may have been inhaled from a near by corn field that can cause respiratory distress and death.

I seriously doubt we will hear any confirmation of bird flu even if it turned out it was in fact bird flu this would go under ground quickly.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Ducks are flock birds and will travel together and stay together. If they were exposed at the same time (which would be likely since they all move as a unit) then the disease (if that's what it is) would progress at about the same rate through each of the exposed birds. They'd likely succumb at about the same time for that reason --- particularly if it was viral or another fast moving pathogen.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I just looked at a map and Idaho borders on BC.

Were these ducks migrating South from Canada?... or maybe they've been there for a while already?

Could the "source" be in Canada? I think I remember reading some stuff from soficrow about a suspected bird flu outbreak in western Canada this summer that was covered up. I'll see if I can find it.

edit: Found the thread: Coincidence or Coverup? Pandemic Drill Coincides with Virulent Virus Outbreak Warning - it was in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Not an outbreak but an "official warning".

[edit on 12/14/2006 by Gools]

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Good catch regenmacher.

One of the reports said, "the lung tissue of the ducks to be full of white and yellowish bacterial abscesses. They also found hemorrhaging around the heart."

...This is fairly classic pathology for bird flu, possibly complicated by a super-imposed infection.

Also - seems to me I recall that Mallards are known bird flu carriers, but do not normally get sick. ...So is this a new strain?

...Will check back in my files, see what I can find.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   
not to be paranoid or anything, but I just purchased two more boxes of those h5n1 masks. My husband had opened one of the boxes we had by mistake when he went up into the attic a month or two ago. Figured now would be a good time to restock.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Well, now I see why in the last few month is been warnings of flu season in my neck of the woods and asking people to make sure that they seek immediately doctors advised if the symptoms are too severe.

Right now GA, Florida, Louisiana and Alabama are in the red.

But I have not seen any death ducks around yet.

But already some schools had to close for early holidays because we are having outbreaks of seasonal flu and too many students and teachers are getting sick here in Albany.

In one of the private schools 93 childrens and 10 teachers were at home sick.

Now that is something to keep an eye on.

But still no to many death birds around.

If the ducks were infected all at the same time that will mean that they will die around the same time.

But also poison of some kind airborne will also do the same thing.

Will the government admit to the people what it is . . . that killed the ducks. . . or will they hide it to avoid a panic?

I wonder, after all birds are very sensitive to environmental changes also.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   
OK. It's been about a week since this news hit. Has anyone found a definitive cause yet? The story seems to have just disappeared.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
What do you expect Jima508, as everything in this nation and specially during the holidays. . . nobody wants to start a panic wave.

The ducks death will be in oblivion.

But I have been keeping an eye on the birds around and I found something interesting . . . I have seen an increased of pray birds lying death around on the roads.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Methinks the cover-up is MUCH bigger than about preventing holiday panic. It's about protecting industry, and maintaining maximum deniability.

Looks like the deaths resulted from a microbial storm involving a genetically engineered Aspergillus-E. coli hybrid, that probably cross-bred with bird flu. At least.

Did you catch this one?

Fungus Causes Bacterial Lesions in Mallards, Claims Bush Admin Biologist

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I read the article but I did not made the connection, of the virus been a genetically engineered.

Funny how the government plays with these diseases while claiming that they are not into biological warfare.

What surprises me the most is . . . how experiments get to escape their supposed isolated environments.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I read the article but I did not made the connection, of the virus been a genetically engineered.

They couldn't decide if it was a virus, fungus or bacteria - probably because all the tests are positive, and they don't really know which one to pick. So finally, they picked Aspergillus.

But Aspergillus absolutely does NOT explain all the deaths. So it has to be a hybrid.

...The scary thing is that a fungus-bacteria hybrid (Aspergillus-E. coli) was created almost 20 years ago - and it looks like it's out in the world, cross-breeding with other germs.

...Germs are not supposed to breed across species barriers - but biotechnology and genetic engineering created the bridges, and now it's happening in the "wild," not just laboratories.

That's what they're trying to hide.

Funny how the government plays with these diseases while claiming that they are not into biological warfare.

The biggest problem comes from artificial organisms - and most are created by drug companies. It's how they synthesize and manufacture their drugs - biosynthesis and biomanufacturing.

Lots of industries like the computer industry also use artificial organisms to manufacture materials and components.

What surprises me the most is . . . how experiments get to escape their supposed isolated environments.

Some of these things are small enough to swim through glass.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I had a microbiology professor that told a story about a researcher who developed some extraordinary bacterium. It produced some unusual enzyme or RNA --- I don't recall the details. At any rate, this organism was very much sought after by other microbiologists but the developer was not about to provide access to it and lose his proprietary hold. My prof wrote him asking for a sample. The researcher wrote back basically telling him to screw. The prof cut up the letter and envelope, placed it all in culture media and after a couple weeks was able to isolate the organism in question.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   
One of my favorite sites, the RSOE HAVARIA Emergency map, still has the mallard outbreak listed. Supposedly, they still aren't sure but suspect grain, and things of that nature as everyone has previously stated.

I am keeping an eye on it, because I am curious and am impressed that this is still listed on the map. I figured by this point it would have "disappeared". So far this one hasn't been covered up yet!

hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
UGH, and if I would have read the whole update from today it reads:

A fungal infection is to blame for the death of 2,500 mallard ducks southeast of Burley last week, according to the Idaho Department of Fish and Game. Test results from the University of Idaho confirmed the ducks had contracted acute aspergillosis, a respiratory tract infection caused by fungus found in soil, dead leaves, moldy grain and other decaying vegetation. Moldy grain is the most likely source of the fungus, according to Fish and Game, but no specific site has been identified. Hatch said the infection is waning and will likely not spread to other areas. "It seems to have really tapered off," Hatch said. "But we're still waiting for some other tests to come back to make sure that this is just a one-time episode." According Fish and Game, waterfowl die-offs are common—16 events involving more than 1,000 birds have occurred in the United States in the past year. But Dave Parrish, supervisor of Fish and Game's Magic Valley Region, said he's never heard of an event this large. While the infection took a toll on the local duck population, Parrish said it will not impact regional populations.

I still find this suspect...but maybe that's just me...

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSky796

According Fish and Game, waterfowl die-offs are common—16 events involving more than 1,000 birds have occurred in the United States in the past year.

Pure bull according to all the other coverage.

But Dave Parrish, supervisor of Fish and Game's Magic Valley Region, said he's never heard of an event this large.

Based on this article and others, Parrish sounds like the only one who knows what he's doing, and tries to be honest.

I still find this suspect...but maybe that's just me...

No kidding suspect.

Aspergillosis only kills the very young and immune compromised. And it is NOT going to wipe out every Mallard duck in a "several mile radius" - especially not without touching any other species.

So ALL the Mallard's were already infected with another disease that compromised their immune systems. Otherwise the Aspergillus exposure would not have killed them.

The questions are - What other disease(s) were the Mallards infected with? Did the pathogens have time to cross-breed and create a new hybrid before the Mallards died? Is that hybrid loose in the environment?

new topics

top topics

join