It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Severe Space Storm Headed This Way

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Another aspect of a CME involves protons that get pushed along by the shock wave. Sometimes these protons break through Earth's protective magnetic field and flood the outer reaches of the atmosphere�where the space station orbits�with radiation. The science of it all is a gray area, Kunches said. But the best guess now is that there will only be a slight increase in proton activity. That's good news for the astronauts.

"When the shock goes by, we don't expect significant radiation issues," he said.

Murphy's law - Solar electromagnetic storms heat up just when the earth's magnetic shield is at an all time low.

If it keeps depleting at its current rate, scientists predict our magnetic shield will be gone by the next millennia.

Then it won't be long until we look like Mars. All the water and atmosphere would be carried off.

The amount of radiation entering the atmosphere seems to be dependent on how it hits the magnetic shield, according to the link originally provided.

[edit on 14-12-2006 by clearwater]

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I wonder what the aurora borealis looks like from the astronauts point of view...especially when it is super-charged after a cme hits. Must look like a giant strobelight at the top of the world. Sure hope the astronauts film it then release it through the media so we can see it as it appears from up there.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   
what a magnificent Lifeform the Solar System is.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
I've never witnessed an aurora borealis
but I'm not 100% sure I want to see one either...well that's unless I'm somewhere in Canada or Alaska..

It is actually quite beautiful, Im sure you would enjoy it. It looks quite mystical. I am in Missouri, and have seen it at least twice in the past couple of years. I might have seen it tonight if it wasnt for those darn clouds!

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Those lucky Alaskans, they have that celestial light show almost every night. That is the land of enchantment.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by inspiringyouth

This is going on right now?
and Is the sky only looking beautiful in the northern regions or may I see it from say, Oklahoma?

Look at the map. If you're in the red zone, there's a fair chance you might see the aurora if you care to look up into the sky. If it's not too cloudy where you are. I can see that a big part of Norway can see it right now. Iceland can see it. And the activity is right now at 10 (maximum level)!

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Hey what a coincidence!
I just watched that movie last night "Frequency" that had Dennis Quiad and Jim Ch.. (the guy that played Jesus in Passion of the Christ) The whole movie's story was about how Jim contacted his father in the past (Dennis Quiad) using the ham radio during the aurora borialis....

I wonder if thatcould really happen. If only I knew that this was to happen today I would've kept an eye out for the sky.. (i live in Toronto)

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Southern Ontario, Canada here and the Aurora are getting very intense, covering about 1/3 of the northern sky from east to west. Mostly pale greens, but with 'curtains' bigger and more mobile than I've seen in since living in the Arctic.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Masqua.

Camera? get out your camera?
if not, how fast can you paint? I know you are a prolific artist.

I'm jealous.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Ya know, spacedoubt...it might just be worthwhile to take the car out of town tonight and see if I can't get some pics.

There's a slight haze that just came over me here, but I'll keep watch for a bit, and if it clears, I'll take my camera for a ride to the lakeshore where there is complete darkness (except for a wedge of moon)

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 10:46 PM
link   
OK...it's clearing, so I'm out to give it a try.

My camera is a Fuji Finepix 3800, the batteries are good and I guess I'm gonna find out about taking night shots.

Hope this works out

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Sigh... I'd love to be able to see the light shows... unfortunately being near the equator I'm more likely to see my GSM provider and SatTV service disrupted.

Do take some photos if it's really spectacular. I'd love to have a look-see

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 11:08 PM
link   
northern virginia....no northern lights. a bummer too, because it's one of the few natural phenomenon that i have never seen......but i'll keep looking north.

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Southern Washington here, the wind blew out the lights so that gave me a good view of the sky. Looking from where I am you could see blue flashes of light in the skys above portland. I believe it was from the storm as there were only a few clouds in te sky.

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by toolman

what a magnificent Lifeform the Solar System is.

hmm yes, but lets not get trapped by thinking too small. Our solar system isnt just it...

In the future, interaction between the member galaxies and with the cosmic neighborhood will continue to change the Local Group. Some astronomers speculate that the two large spirals, our Milky Way and the Andromeda Galaxy, may perhaps collide and merge in some distant future, to form a giant elliptical

thanks for the info and pics

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 05:29 AM
link   
POWER is OUT.

Power is out on the main road and connecting area here. I don't know if it's connected to the solar storm or not.

WE ARE FOGGED IN! I am so upset! We've been fogged in for 48 hours now. Worst fog I've seen in the 6 years i've lived here. There was no way last night to see the Northern Lights.

Man ... I'm really bummed out!

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Raining here, not so heavily but there's a hell lot of lightning flashes though I don't really hear much thunder.

But since the country is in a tropical rainforest region that might not be so strange..

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Seems like the Norwegians saw the northern lights as far south as Oslo last night. This is rare, it's more common in the northern parts of Norway. Here's a picture from Oslo last night.

Photo: Espen R�st

Norwegian article (in norwegian of course...)

Btw, the activity is still high. It's not too late. For those of you who can see it, take pictures!

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 06:53 AM
link   
OH hellmutt, thanx for posting that pic. It is so beautiful!

I cant wait to see more pics.

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Here are more aurora photos. I think most if not all of these are from Norway. I'm not sure when these photos were taken.

Arctic Photo gallery

Photo: Bj�rn J�rgensen

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join