It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Circumcision reduces the risk of HIV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   
According to a new research, men who are circumcised half their chances of being infected by the disease. Of course, that doesn't mean circumcised men should be lax in wearing protection.

Circumcision 'cuts' HIV infection

Circumcision can cut the rate of HIV infection in heterosexual men by 50%, results from two African trials show.

The findings are so striking, the US National Institutes of Health decided it would be unethical to continue and stopped the trials early.

It supports a previous South African study which reported similar results.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

When I was 10 and was sent to the clinic to be circumcised, I asked the doctors aside from religious obligation, what good would it do. He told me that it was a religious obligation because of it's true purpose -- hygiene. I didn't argue because it seemed to make sense.

Anyway, check out the name of the lead doctor at the HIV/Aids department of the World Health Organization: Dr Kevin De Cock

I swear to you, you can't make this stuff up

Edit: Ahh.. crap, this seems like the wrong forum. Mods, feel free to move the thread.. sorry..

[edit on 13-12-2006 by Beachcoma]

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I dont understand how getting circumcised would help reduce your chance of being infected by HIV.

I do not see the correlation between having less foreskin yielding a less risk of infection.

It seems to me that ones personal decisions would affect the outcome the most. I could have no foreskin, but if I decide to go and have unprotected sex with a hooker, does that mean that I am less likely to be infected than the next guy?

This is one goofy study...

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
It protects from other diseases as well. A person who is uncircumcised, unless very careful, collects all sorts of bacteria and such in the fleshy area.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Don Wahn
I do not see the correlation between having less foreskin yielding a less risk of infection.

After circumcision, the skin covering the head of the penis becomes tougher and thicker, making it more difficult for the virus to enter the body.

[edit on 6/27/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I honestly never thought that one day I would be getting a lesson in Penis Health 101 on ATS. Thanks for the info. I stand corrected.

new topics

top topics

join