It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shuttle Astronauts taking cover

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Another X Class solar flare made it necessary for NASA to order the shuttle Astronauts to take cover.

www.local6.com
A violent solar explosion sent a dangerous wave of radiation through space late Tuesday, prompting NASA to order the crews of Discovery and the International Space Station to take shelter overnight, according to Local 6 News partner Florida Today.

The solar flare erupted around 9:40 p.m., unleashing enough radiation to disrupt radio communications on Earth and in orbit while endangering astronauts circling 220 miles above the planet.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Before the shuttle launch, there was a major solar flare. It was reported as on of the strongest flares recorded in 30 years. With this kind of solar activity going on, I wonder why NASA didn't delay the launch of the shuttle. It seemed like they were ready to scrub the launch for high winds, this seems a little more serious than that!

jra

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Makuahine
Before the shuttle launch, there was a major solar flare. It was reported as on of the strongest flares recorded in 30 years. With this kind of solar activity going on, I wonder why NASA didn't delay the launch of the shuttle. It seemed like they were ready to scrub the launch for high winds, this seems a little more serious than that!

Well right now the Sun is supposed to be at it's low point in its 11 year cycle of solar activity, so I guess they weren't expecting another large eruption to happen during this time.

It looks like both solar flares are from the same spot on the Sun. Sunspot 930. This must just be some sort of secondary eruption and hopefully no more after this.

join