It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Applause deprivation anonymous

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   
This is not a begging session for applauses but since so many members have big black bars of death and mine hasn't even changed a shade i'm somewhat upset that only 2 of my 2500 posts have ever received recognition from the staff and one of them was out of pitty.

Are my posts such low quality? or for some reason am I just being over looked? anyone that feels the same about this?

Again mods/admins, I am not begging for applauses, but i'd like an answer.

Thank you for your attention.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I never really thought about it. But you're makin' me do some thinkin'.........
Maybe it's not so much that your posts are low quality, as it is that there are some really really good posts out there that raise the bar if you will. The majority of my posts are pretty silly, so my lack of applauses isn't a real mystery.
I didn't even know that the bar changed color. Huh, how about that, you really do learn something new everyday.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 02:11 AM
link   
LOL and you had even more than I did

Man, I really don't know what's up with this.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 02:43 AM
link   
In my experience participation in PTS related threads or the WoT forum threads net you more applauses, if you can keep from partisan bickering. But then again if you start a good, well-researched and fact-filled thread in the other forums, you'd stand a good chance of being applauded as well.

Which reminds me I've gotta finish that OP/ED I've been working on... just too lazy to continue plus I've got writer's block...

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   
your not the only one
so get over it

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Where is the anonymity in all of this?

Sometimes receiving an Applause comes with a bit of a luck. How many staff are online at the time of the post, if nobody replies to a well written thread, a lot of extenuating circumstances may come into play here.

Nobody to blame, just another fact of life.

What I've come to know through experience is certain Forums are more weary than others when it comes to dishing out these incentives. PTS is an absolute hot bed of these suckers these days, you just need to press the right keys I think.

Although some Forums on ATS, with some of the member contribution's over there, you better be working for NASA to keep up with these guys.

Best thing to do, in my opinion, is find a topic that suits you best and research some thought-provoking threads. I've always tried to ask a question in my threads and remain as neutral as possible. This way I have both sides of the coin coming to the thread to discuss their opinions. Rather than rushing in to bash my head in with their beliefs. Over time I slowly instill my opinions in the thread, but I do not inundate them on the initial post.

Thought provoking, neutrality. Formula? Maybe? It has worked for me in the past.

Happy Hunting!

[edit on 14-12-2006 by chissler]

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Best thing to do, in my opinion, is find a topic that suits you best and research some thought-provoking threads. I've always tried to ask a question in my threads and remain as neutral as possible. This way I have both sides of the coin coming to the thread to discuss their opinions. Rather than rushing in to bash my head in with their beliefs. Over time I slowly instill my opinions in the thread, but I do not inundate them on the initial post.

Thought provoking, neutrality. Formula? Maybe? It has worked for me in the past.

Happy Hunting!

This is spot on. For me the Science forum has been my major interest, especially energy and alternatives (yeah, maybe the Peak Oil forums too) and I'd say maybe 60-70% of my applauses comes from that area. The others are from smiting ignorance in PTS and the WoT forums.

It also helps tremendously to at least attempt to write well. With spell-checking tools available here and there for free, it's just the grammar you gotta watch. But if English isn't your main language, people will still notice your efforts, and reasonable people will forgive those grammatical gaffs.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I've wondered about this from time to time, but still have no idea what criteria the mods follow for passing out an applause.

I've spent hours putting together a very solid post with lots of references and pictures to back up my idea only to have it vanish into obscurity. On the other hand, I've posted two lines of crap that made a point and had a couple mods give me their kudos. Go figure.....

I have noticed that posting a good reply to a thread started by a mod will garner a bit more attention, but I don't think you should start stalking only threads started by the mods just in hope of an applause.

My suggestion is to delve deep into the subjects that interest you most and say to hell with applauses. If you feel good about what you post, that will come with a sense of self satisfaction that no applause from staff can top.

One question though.
How do you know how many times you've received an applause ???

I know I get a u2u, but is there some way to tell what your total is.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   
i brings cookies for all

Cookie
feel bettah?

mod edit: turned image into link to correct page width

[edit on 15-12-2006 by UK Wizard]

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder

I know I get a u2u, but is there some way to tell what your total is.

Don't know about that one, I just keep my applause u2u's.

Haven't had any for quite some time myself.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder

There is no way to determine unless you have saved every u2u. Other than that, we can make a rough estimate.

Looking at your bar, you can see it is 3m.gif

So you have received somewhere between 30 & 39 Applauses.

Edit: Does anyone else think Lys's cookies look delicious?

[edit on 14-12-2006 by chissler]

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 12:56 AM
link   
My red bar is so huge. It's . . . enormous. and getting longer all the time.

What's all this about it turning black???!?!?!?!

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

Looks like any day now, dr.

Of course, now that you are talking about it, they might just take back a few.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

My red bar is so huge. It's . . . enormous. and getting longer all the time.

Oh, I've heard recent rumours about American men. Now that deserves applause!

When I'm starved for validation, I dream of standing ovations.

That sounds quite naughty. Unintentional. Best to disregard the opinions of peers and pursue the integrity of the inner voice.

I will accept pity applause.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I can say this about all this time that I have been here, two years next on Christmas Eve, I have gotten very few applauses. When I would get the applauses though, it would be for an excellent post that I have done.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   

top topics

join