It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man vs Wild /Real or Real Fake?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Bear does take a lot of chances, and if the "average Joe" tried some of the things he does he'd probably end up dead or seriously injured. With that said, if I needed someone come to my rescue, hands down, I'd choose Bear. His enthusiasm is contagious!

He's energetic, witty, and a hardcore survival machine! There'd be no pussyfooting around or harmonica playing going on, which I find annoying. Go Bear!!

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
This show is Just a Fake, n nothing more!!!!
this man, known as Grubs, making us FOOL.
Everything is planed before shoot.
Don't watch this stupid program.
It my suggestion .

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
MvW sows too high a false sense of success and leniency of survival into the viewers. Entertained as it may be, it is 66-90% nonsense.

Yeah Survivorman is long and boring and sometime regressive,but it is much more eye-opened. After watching all the episodes up to season 3, I'm surprise to see all the different ways that you can start a fire in various situation WITHOUT a flint. That alone shows how much more informative and good tv Survivorman is over that other banana boy.

I mean Jesus he starts fire w/ a piece of chocolate and bottom of a soda can! WTF lol...HAX!! (In Kalahari of course)

And on a personal note, if you people can spend an hour watching semi-ill-advised tv, but cant spend the same amount to watch something that is more likely to save your arse and your fellows' arse then you really need to reassess your tv watching habit. Another thing, SAS is just SAS. Stop milking it like a cow into a point, cause it is not. It's lame and make you sound really shallow.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Don't know if this thread is still going but wanted to offer caution. I practice primitive survival and a lot of what the guys in these shows do will get you killed in a real survival situation. For example, I saw an episode of Survivor Man where he startles and runs through the woods at night, supposedly fleeing a bear. Problems with this are several. For one, if a bear is that close, don't run. Mount a stout, tall tree. Climb it high, then keep going. Second, never run at night (unless there's enough moon). You can't see clearly to prevent twisted/broken ankles. If you're in real backcountry and that happens, things get a lot harder.
Another time, saw someone jump in a river to ride it out toward civilization. He used a trash bag as a flotation device. If you watch closely, as he hits rapids you can see he's wearing a real PDF under the bag. Problems with this are numerous, the water was rapid, frigid (stage 1 hypothermia is pretty easy), concussions on rocks, etc. But most importantly, he's modeling behavior that claims to be real and isn't. He's got a life vest on and probably a camera crew nearby. Kids watching this stuff will go out and do it cause they saw a guy claim it works.
To sum up, in a real survival scenario these shows will get you killed.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Compared to Survivorman... Man vs Wild sucks. Bear is too much the show off if you ask me. Plus the only real danger he is ever in is the danger he puts himself in with his ridiculous stunts. The camera crew are always present as are food and supplies.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

Actually a little while ago (probably 6-10 months) it was revealed that Bear Grylls (or however you spell his name) was a fake. He was having his crew set up situations, then at night he was being heli'd to hotels. If you watch for fake stuff, it comes up all the time (i specifically remember a scene where he used a vine for some kind of rope, all of the other vines were dirty brown, the one he picked was a tan color, and extremely clean). But yeah, the guys a total fake, Les Stroud is 100% real (i saw something about him quitting because he's sick of starving for weeks on end)

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Survival show faces 'fake' claim

Channel 4 calls Grylls "a cross between Ray Mears and Rambo"
Channel 4 is to investigate a claim that it misled viewers in a survival series, in the latest allegation of reality being manipulated on a TV show.
Born Survivor featured British adventurer Bear Grylls dealing with "perilous situations" in the wild.

But a crew member told the Sunday Times some nights were spent in hotels.

Channel 4 insisted Grylls was never billed as working entirely unaided, but promised to raise the matter with the production company that made the show.

American survival consultant Mark Weinert, who was recruited by Diverse Productions, told the paper Grylls claimed to be stranded on a desert island on one occasion.

He often directly addresses the production team, including the cameraman, making it clear he is receiving an element of back-up

Channel 4 statement
However, he was actually in Hawaii and spent some of his time there in a motel, Mr Weinert alleged.

Another time, he added, Grylls was filmed building a raft by himself, whereas the crew had actually put it together and dismantled it beforehand, to ensure that it worked.

And in a further episode, supposedly "wild" horses rounded up by Grylls had come from a local trekking facility, he claimed.

Further investigation

Channel 4 said in a statement that Born Survivor was "not an observational documentary series, but a 'how-to' guide to basic survival techniques in extreme environments".

"The programme explicitly does not claim that presenter Bear Grylls' experience is one of unaided solo survival.

"For example, he often directly addresses the production team, including the cameraman, making it clear he is receiving an element of back-up."

The broadcaster said Grylls carried out his own stunts and did place himself in perilous situations, "though he does so within clearly-observed health and safety guidelines required on productions of this kind".

"However, we take any allegations of misleading our audiences seriously and will be looking into this further with Diverse over the next few days."

The series was originally made for the Discovery Channel in the US and was acquired for UK transmission by Channel 4.

Diverse Productions declined to elaborate on Channel 4's statement, while Grylls's agent was unavailable for comment.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by iwishicould

Yeah, Les is just getting too old for him to starve himself for 7-13 weeks a year as he films Survivorman. I could see how that could wear thin on you after a few years. You notice, most of the time he really doesn't eat much unless he gets lucky. It's a great show, especially when you consider all the extra hiking and gear he has to lug around for all of his shots.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
It's a wonder Bear Grylls isn't dead from all the raw stuff he eats, from dead zebra flesh to live snakes and beetle grubs. Parasites and Bacteria! It's what's for dinner!

Blerhg :d

How often do you think he get's sick?

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I have caught Bears show a few times. I laughed each time. I explained to my family the things he was doing that would sooner kill you than keep you alive. For example the show where he squeezed the elephant dung ball to get the fluid out of it to drink. The effects of doing that would surely dehydrate and immobilize you with sickness within hours of consumption. I consider most of his advice to be intended for culling purposes rather than teaching people how to survive

Spiritowl

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
i think bear is the coolest man on the planet, all men idolize and imagine they are too bear, and able to take on the world-
everyone want to be this guy, and every one wants to be macgyver.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
man v.s wild does not receive any help unless he is in a life or death situation , he is trained and was in the british special forces and thats how he does it.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
man v.s wild does not receive any help unless he is in a life or death situation , he is trained and was in the british special forces and thats how he does it.

You need to research a little better. He portrayed things to be something they weren't. They even redid voice overs on the show to explain the truth of some situations and added a disclaimer to the start of the shows. Not saying that it isn't a good show, just that things are quite what they seemed on his show. Les is the real deal however.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Nygdan

Survivorman aired his last episode. He\'s gone. Only re-runs on TV now.

Man vs Wild is great. Both are amazing men and amazing shows.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
In "Man vs. Wild" Bear gets really annoying with his constant panting. He tries to make situations seem more dangerous than they are. For example he encounters a Boa in the jungle in Belize, it is about a 7 footer, big enough to eat a rabbit or small chicken but that's about it, but he plays it like it is some kind of man eating venomous snake (constrictors are not venomous), and then taunts it with a stick (a la Crocodile Hunter) so that it lunges at him. Why did he do that? Purely for the show, so people can think he is in danger when in fact he is not even remotely so. Meanwhile he is panting the entire time. He starts out the day panting. But the most bothersome part, the part that makes it a complete farce in my opinion, is that he has someone else with him. It should be "Men vs. Wild" not "Man vs. Wild". It is too bad because he actually knows a bit about survival but it all gets lost in the hype that he helps perpetuate. Survival Man is better by far.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Man versus Wild is certainly a very entertaining show. However, it has been proven that many of his situations are set up to portray certain circumstances. This is why, as several people have pointed out, all of the old episodes have gone through re-editing and the voiceovers re-done to emphasize this fact. Several of the oldest episodes have even been pulled completely from the rotation.

Youtube has a number of videos of "behind the scenes" type videos. I especially recommend the ones where the guy visits some of the spots from the Kilauea Volcano episode and shows how heavily touristed they are - one location was something like 300 yards away from a parking lot!

That said, I still love the show - from an entertainment perspective. I'd be really careful with any information I took from the show - do your research independently before you use it. The new season should be really interesting, what with all the photoshopped falling rocks and the jungle growing in around him

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Bear Gryls held the world record for being the youngest climber of mount Everest - for a short time. He was beaten out of it by a 19 year old last year.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by cruzion

For sure he's done some really cool stuff in his life. Anyone who can do Everest (and half the stuff he's done) and live to tell the tale has my vote ;-) His full bio is on his web site

(doesn't make the show any more real though :-( Just means he doesn't have to do so much prep work!)

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Bear is the host of a TV show. Yes folks, a TV show. TV is an entertainment device. This show has producers and directors just like your favorite sitcom.

Undoubtedly, Bear is very skilled and knowledgeable and the show does display aspects of being staged. However, the show is supposed to educate and entertain you at the same time.

I enjoy the show knowing full well that certain aspects are set up. Big deal. It entertains me for an hour and I usually pick up some new knowledge along the way.

Les Stroud is also very skilled. He filmed everything alone. However, his scenarios were always set up from the beginning to allow him to use pieces/parts from a snowmobile, dirt bike, truck, crashed plane, bicycle etc.

He was using what if scenarios to teach us how to get out of a pinch. I've done some pretty stupid things on my Mt. Bike and have sailed in open rough Ocean in a 40' sailboat luckily I wasn't hurt. One of those scenarios could have been me.

It is all great ENTERTAINMENT. If you learn something along the way, consider it a bonus. If you are serious about learning more, buy and study some field manuals and practice some techniques.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
The shows have to different premises. Man vs. Wild is geared towards moving from point A to Point B in the quickest, most expedient manner much like a Escape and Evade situation.

Survivorman is geared more towards short term survival in a more natural setting without anyone pursuing you. Neither show will provide you with all the tools or skills you need to survive in a real Sitx scenario. It's up to you the viewer to decide what will or will not work for you given your particular set of circumstances.

On a personal note, Bear is my man! Some of the things he does may seem overly easy or reckless at times, but he's a professional and knows what he's doing. Les is too much of a schlub for me. Even my Grandmother could starve to death half the time or set her shelter on fire without even trying. It's meant for entertaiment purposes guys, so sit back in your easy chair, have a Coke, eat some popcorn, and enjoy!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join