It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schizophrenia

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

exactly why the elites, sheeple herders, & TPTB
demonize the condition called schizophrenia, and employ an army of agents
from guidance counselers, police, clergy, coaches, human resource offices,
to search out and identify the non-conformists and/or mavericks in the population (aka: schizophrenics)

[edit on 16-12-2006 by St Udio]

I've noticed a lot of this whenever I have direct contact with medical professionals, law enforcement, or even the paramedics when I'm in a dissociated state.

I think one reason for their caution is that there are a lot of irrational and terrified people out there with this condition doing so many unpredictable things while in their episodic states. I just get very quiet and non-communicative and wander around checking the world out - never combative or aggressive. But still, these folks have to worry about their safety as well as the safety of the individual they are treating.

So much is misunderstood because the majority of people who suffer from this disorder can't communicate what they are going to effectively - which is why I asked the paramedic who posted earlier why the mere mention of "hearing voices" is grounds to call in Law Enforcement.

Now, I've had my voices tell me to do everything from "cut yourself" to "just walk out without paying" and I know full well the consequences of these actions - but some people may be so lost in the moment they forget action and reaction.

In a sense, it's a very childlike state - free from social conditioning as to what is "expected and proper". So I can understand the majority of workers in the fields you mentioned taking an authoritative approach to try and "re-ground" the delusional person.

Some go to extremes, though. And I think that's a personal flaw on their part - the schizophrenic ceases to become a person in their eyes and is reduced to nothing more than the symptoms of their conditions - and is treated accordingly.

I'd hate to post some of the situations I've been through because of this obvious character flaw on the part of some "professionals", but until enough of us come together in a well thought out and well presented explanation of our case and circumstances, and show that not all of us are stereotypical and dangerous irrationals - (and get that fact out in the mainstream through as many avenues as possible) - we will always be percieved as "social risks".

JSR

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   
it seems everybody has a schizo experience from time to time.
why is that?
----
i to thought i was beginning to suffer from it.
when i was a bout 18, i decided to stop using drugs. i was just fed up with what i would obsess on while in a drug induced state. so i wanted to quite.

i was terrified to go get medical treatment. too many Lane Staley songs scared me of proffessional help. ive always been strong willed, so i decided i can do it on my own. it wasn't long before i noticed, i have to remove myself from my enviroment if its ever going to help.

i went to my parents, spilled th beens, and they agreed to help. how could they not. being strick christian conservitive, i kind of scared them.

so, my dad called his sister in another state. she agreed to house me for 2 months while i detoxed my self.
-----
long story short, thats when i started to look for meditation and the like, to help me calm down sometimes.
i began to notice some whispering voices and stuff. i tried to ignore them. you know, dont acknowlage them, they wont be real kind of stuff.

i was scared i was going schizo. i would have arguments with myself about the fact i could, or could not hear things.

i concluded, this was a normal aspect of detox.

i concluded the voice was me. and the other me, was me too.
and it was just a way for me to contimplate (sp) things.

i found peace with myself. and never heard anything again.
----
but, for a time there, i was cring myself to sleep.

for all of those considering doing that, dont. go get professional help.
---
thats just my story. no point to this.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   

That being said, I really wish I could believe that hearing voices was somehow something psychic or spiritual, but it just seems that science can pretty much narrow down 100% what's happening in your brain.

No. That's incorrect.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I agree with Dracotic -

Science may be able to explain some of the technicalities behind how the brain operates, but it cannot explain why a person makes the associations it does, nor can it account for personality variations.

Right now, I think if I were to take a scientific viewpoint of this whole disorder, I would say it's more due to unconscious associations intermingling with the conscious mind.

But then again, I tend to agree more with my psychologist than I do my psychiatrists. Fortunately, I've finally found a decent doctor who respects my deisre not to be doped up to the point of zombification.

From what I understand, the reason anti-psychotic hit so hard is that with more serious sufferers, it helps completely dehabilitate the region of the brain that makes associations between auditory, visual and unconscious memory area in the brain. Not to mention creativity.

By knocking those seratonin receptors down a notch - it keeps thoughts from going too far, too fast. My episodes used to have my brain flying at what felt like a million miles an hour - and my concsious mind couldn't keep up and I just had complete breakdowns.

Kinda like how a computer will crash if you overclock it with too many things at once.

But I think the mystery we're discussing here is WHY we hear and see what we do - i.e. they things the voices say, the images they fixate on, etc.

That's where the psychology part has to override the psychiatry.

Psychiatry = brain functioning, and chemical imbalance.
Psychology = personal experiences and learning to cope and understand the unique experience.

Sure - there are commonalities between all schizophrenics, but there are also a lot of differences between how the symptoms manifest, to what degree, and the patients ablity to integrate the reality they have had thrust upon them.

I still believe it's best to have a good storyline to go along with the meds. It helps put the curiosity as rest, and sometimes teaches us more about our inner self in the process.

I called them "spirits" when it first happened to me - and the less and less I hear them, the more and more curious I am about remote possibilities such as latent telepathy and the like.

Of course, I only have my observations and experiences to go on, and I can't make anyone walk in my shoes and experience it for themselves.

All I can do is give my personal interpretation of it on as many fronts as possible.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I may be taking a leave of absence, as I have been having some emotional troubles.

I will continue to update my blog. But alot of people have been giving me crap for my ideas and so on......

Wish you the best!

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Dracotic -

Dude, you're going to hate this - but life isn't easy and sorry, but you ARE going to have to do the majority of the work on this.

Once you get something started, give me a U2U and I'll help you develop it further.

Remember - the most important thing here is that YOU come up with YOUR OWN ANSWERS. Otherwise, you're not really learning anything about yourself or your condition.

This schizophrenia thing has no cut and dried answers.

I can only help you on the writing thing if you've already got a direction you want to go in...

Best of luck, regardless.

HOPE YOU'RE FEELING BETTER.

[edit on 16-12-2006 by GENERAL EYES]

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Dude, you're going to hate this - but life isn't easy and sorry, but you ARE going to have to do the majority of the work on this.

On what? I feel this was placed out of context......What do you mean?

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I have noticed 2 different types of audiotory hallucinations. The second one just started today more hardcore.

Type 1 - This is the hallucinations I've been talking about. They were real to ME. But they arn't on the same level as say me talking to you. They are more etheric, almost like thoughts.

Type 2 - Now this is what I assume the majority of schizophrenics hear. The voices or noise is as potent as me talking to you. They are indeed REAL!

Type 1 I no longer believe is spirits and is simply my own very strange internal dialogue.

Type 2 began around 6 months ago. It began when I was at the train station and freaked out. A complete break from reality. The train was singing the tune 'Soul Train' lol. Now more commonly (such as tonight) there is a large group of people talking in my parents old mansion. Also the radio is playing in my dads room even though it isn't turned on.

I just wanted to clearify this...

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dracotic
-Schizophrenia is a serious disease and I am not trying to say it isn't. Or make light of it.

I agree it is serious, and i also am not trying to make light of it. But, who has you convinced it is a disease? I think in some cases it is a shining example of a multi-tasking mind. Seriously, most people won't even admit they hear their own voice in their heads, let alone voices of others in their heads.

If i might offer some advice that i believe may help .....

Keep a journal. As you write in your journal/diary write with the intentions that no one else will ever read it. There will be no one to impress with your words, and nothing to feel embarressed about, since no one else shall ever read it. Also, since no one else shall ever read it, you will have no reason to lie to yourself. I believe this will serve as an effective tool, and also help you "defrag" your mind much like what we do with computers. I'm not saying this will "cure" what it is you call a "disease", but i fail to see how not attempting to understand your own thought processes could hurt you.

As you write in your journal you may encounter "bad" thoughts that make you feel uncomfortable. It's your journal, not anyone elses. So, write out the "bad" or "uncomfortable" thoughts. Speculation is not a sin when it comes to your own journal, is it? Then use your speculation as a tool to better understanding yourself.

Also, i suggest, that if you can think of a question, then write out the question. If you can't see a positive answer to the question, then ask a question that negates the purpose for the first question to even exist.

It is my personal opinion that science does not have all the answers for you, and to be honest with you, it is your opinion as well. Or else, why would you be here asking other members for their advice, when you have already recieved "proffesional" help?

here is one more thought i would like to share concerning "professionals", and laymen alike.

Feel FREE to use this anytime you want Dracotic:

Who has the right to call anyone else "Insane"?

"Insane" means to reside within one's own mind. So, in order for someone to observe that someone is within their own mind, it seems a pre-requisite would be that the second person has to be within the mind of the person they are observing as insane. And, if the person who is calling someone "insane" is in your mind to see that you are residing in there, then AREN'T THEY OUT OF THEIR MIND?

Hope you like that.

I'm serious about the journal idea, and i think it would help.

Incidently, i spent 11 years working with developmentally dissabled pediatrics and adult in a skilled care facility, prior to the last 10 years working as a firefighter in the USAF. During my previous employment i took care of numerous individuals with Schizophrenia, to include one lady who was truly unique. So, it is this experience that i draw upon to offer you my thoughts on the subject matter at hand.

Either i have or have not heard voices in my head. If i have voices in my head, at least i never feel lonesome.

[edit on 17-12-2006 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Very informative.

Ever wondered why Being in sanity was a "bad" thing? (in-sane) And as if it doesn't stop there; what of Being "out" of sanity? (out-sane) How is this possible? Who of the divided Human Species is to regulate the terms of sanity in a world of "spiritual Beings" that is yet to feed its poor and love thy neighbor?

[edit on 17-12-2006 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Yo, it's Dracotic.....or used to be. I kinda lost my password and posted about it, so I don't feel like repeating why exactly. But anyway....

LastOutfinite, that is a good point. And I have indeed thought about it, my friend. I still don't have an answer
. Society creates those rules. But what makes up society, collective though, the Church?

However, I will be going on some new meds or get the dose anti-up'd. Whenever this happens the initial stages are rough. I know I NEED to though because last night I had a complete break from reality. A radio was playing that was turned off and there were about 5 people hosting a social gathering in my room.

I've been contemplating what the voices could actually be. I have gained insight. And now believe them to be some outward manifestation of residual thoughts. But it's kindof strange that I heard this social communication in an old mansion where social gatherings used to be held.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I've had those before too - they can be rough.

Mine just don't go away and push me too fast for too long.

I'm on Abilify right now, and they help A LOT!!!

What meds have they given you?

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I quit taking my abilify cause it made me feel like crap. I'm on Zyprexa primarily. I take Zoloft for OCD, and klonopin to sleep. Basically I'm a mess.

The thing is I've been on the meds so long I don't even know if they help anymore. I'm also afraid to tell my psych. what I've been witnessing. Because as 'crazy' as I may be.....I can kindof realize now.....what I say is 'crazy'.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Mysterian,
You are Perfectly Perfect, and know this. Enjoy your life, enjoy your visions, and learn from them while with them. Stop taking the meds, they only make you feel worse about yourself. You are Everything, with Everything, and Everything is with you. You are smart, loving, kind, and caring, it is all over your words and your personality. Don't let others fear you out of what you are, and you are Not fear

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Do you work with a psychotherapist outside of your psychiatrist at all?

Sometimes being able to draw parallels between where you are in life and what your environment might be throwing at you can help you isolate the reasons for the episodes and how they manifest...

If you ever need to talk about this - I have completely been where you were last night. I don't have any concrete answers, but I do have a few theories on it.

Heck - you might even be a medium of sorts. Now we just need to give you control over what doors are open and when!

[edit on 17-12-2006 by GENERAL EYES]

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
LastOutfinite, I'm attempting to get off them but it's hard. I need to speak more with my psychiatrist first. But thankyou for you're kind words!

GENERAL EYES, I work with a psychotherapist as well. If it's not too much to ask could you post you're theories about what happened here, instead of u2u? Just because I feel the information should be shared with anyone else whose curious....I don't want to end up like the government and hide anything, lol.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Ok - I'm game.

Before we get into it too heavily, am I correct in interpreting your post as you were ALONE IN YOUR ROOM with this happened?

Were the "5 people holding a gathering" part of the delusion as well as the radio playing even though it was turned off?

Just making sure before I throw too much out that might not be relevant.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   
The radio did not look like it was on. But the music was comeing out. The "about 5 people" was my assumption. It just sounded like a small gathering. Similar to what would be held in my home. Also I was alone. It was about 1 am.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
You know this knowledge about the hostage in the woods might not have been related to your schizophrenia at all.

example, You could have walked through a room full of noisy people and it might have come across the tv and though you did not pay any attention a part of you heard it and thought about it later.

Many is the time when someone, my kids will say something to me I actually hear half of it, I'm distracted and then a few minutes later realize the whole sentence they said to me.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
No one watches TV in the morning here, or listens to the radio. I know what you mean though.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join