It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Increase Power in Jeep

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I have a 1999 Jeep Wrangler with a 2.5 Mitsubishi 4 cylinder engine..

I love the thing and Jeepin around with the top off is one of my favorite activities off duty.

My only complaint is the power. Great mileage for a 4x4, but a good wind takes me from 50 mph to 20 on the interstate. LOL

Any ideas short of replacing the engine on how to increase the HP ???

Also remember, I am on a limited budget, but have plenty of time..

Thanks,

Semper

ps. GREAT forum by the way...

S

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Well, you might start by increasing the air flow.

Here are some suggestions:

www.knfilters.com...

Some K&N Air Intakes are street legal in all states and some are street legal in most states.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Grady is right. The air flow is restricted on the stock model. You could change out the exhaust in addition to get better air flow. Then you could spend thousands changing things like the cam, etc. But you still have the computer telling the airflow and timing advance how to behave.

You may want to try something cheap first, like this: White Lightnin performance module

[edit on 12/31/06 by makeitso]

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
theres a magazine called JP (Jeep Performance) you can usually find it a Borders, B&N ect. They are JEEP only, i'm sure you cand find a heap of bolt ons for your wrangler.

The usual first mods for any car are usually, intake, exhaust (headrer/ cat- back). and ECU tweaking (EPROM flash). That should help you to get the ball rolling.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Im not going to sit hear and blow info up your tail pipe. Bottom line horsepower ='s $$$$$! And a open flow air filter and a ecu over-ride chip isn'going to get you any thing but bad gas milage. If your keeping your four banger then Don't add any over sized off road wheel and tires. My advice is pull that four banger out as soon as possible. Buy or find a small bock V8 a 305 or 327 is prime slap it in change your transfer case and get you a OX geared case and throw a 4" suspension and 2or3" body lift...After that is done go out and grab you a air-raid intake & throttle body spacer and chip over-ride. Crate motor's will ship you a built 303 hp or a 436hp 305 or 327 to your door for about 3,500 bucks throw another 1,500 in for fuel pumps and radiators and electronics and then feel the power that only good ole american V8 thunder can provide. If you just switch out your air intake and exhaust your only going to gain maybe 15 hp. That 4 banger wasn't designed to tune as the coffee can tuners say. Even the H.O. inline 6 4.0 Jeep put out in the late 90's only had 202hp but it was still connected to a real bad transmission. Don't waste your time and money to get results that only keep you changing things and wasting more money.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
That is kind of what I figured... $$$$$$

I'm looking in to the new Jeep, 4 door anyway and I'll just make sure this time I get the 4.0 HO...

Have to park my old Jeep in the back yard though, it was a gift from the wife.(Birthday) so I'm afraid I could never part with it...

Thanks all

Semper

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
That is kind of what I figured... $$$$$$

I'm looking in to the new Jeep, 4 door anyway and I'll just make sure this time I get the 4.0 HO...

Have to park my old Jeep in the back yard though, it was a gift from the wife.(Birthday) so I'm afraid I could never part with it...

Thanks all

Semper

Never part with your jeep my girls has tried and tried to get me to get rid of mine she says it makes her head hurt looking at it. All I can say is ugly jeeps make for a great love affare

top topics

join