It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Used Car Shopping

page: 1

join
share:
Ex

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I have a daughter in college
Mathematics Major......
Sure didn't get her smarts from me either

I had bought her a used Acura, in her first year
but now it needs so much work , new transmission
and more
I was wondering what advice you could give me when
I go shopping for a new used car for her after Christmas??

How do I get a reasonable price from a used car salesman?
What should I be looking at other than mileage and gas consumption??

Any help would be appreciated!

[edit on 12/07/2006 by Ex]

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 12:57 AM
link   
How about a 12-step program?

www.roadandtravel.com...

Consumer Reports has a buying kit, but it'll cost you.

Consumer Reports' Used Car Buying Kit

CARFAX says they're indispensible when buying a used car.

How to Buy a Car

The Federal Trade Commission has tips on used car buying.

Google Search

[edit on 2006/12/13 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 03:53 AM
link   
My best advice would be to take along a auto mechanic when you narrow down your 'list' and get them to inspect the car.

sanc

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum
My best advice would be to take along a auto mechanic when you narrow down your 'list' and get them to inspect the car.

This is a very good tip. Unfortunately, most people either aren't freinds with mechanics, or they don't have a 'family' garage that they have been going to for the last 10, 15 years. It's amazing how many things are pointed out by the dealer when they know that a mechanic is also looking at the car, right there on the lot!

Ex

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   
WOW!!
Thanx for the great tips and links , Guys!
I am thinking about buying the one from consumers report!
I also think taking amechanic along is a good idea.
I do happen to know a guy.......that knows a guy!

Sincerely,
EX

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I don't buy cars from dealers, or used car lots. Instead, talk with all your friends and family to see if they know of one for sale. While you drive to work, etc. look for cars for sell in the nice neighborhoods, and out in the country. Forget the newspaper ads, they take too much time to track down and generally are high priced.

When you find one you think is ok, write down everything you see wrong with it, (tires, cracked dash, etc.). Check the bluebook value, Carfax, etc. Then if your pretty sure about it, arrange to take it to your favorite mechanic for a diagnostic check.

Use your list, and the mechanics list to negotiate the sale price of the vehicle.

For example, a recent purchase like this was a 2000 Jeep Cherokee for $800. It had a bad oil leak. The owner thought it was the main seal leaking, (a very expensive repair), but it turned out to be a hidden $15 oil sensor!

Sold it for $3200 a couple weeks later (in the paper).

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
God, this story is almost embarrassing to tell!

My first car was a DISASTER! I'll begin by saying that all my life the thing I was most looking forward to was driving and having my own car- to the point where I was actually caught by the police TWICE for driving under age! I just LOVED driving and I was always into cars growing up.

Anyway, I made one of the biggest mistakes you could possible make when shopping for a car- I rushed and I didn't look around. I just looked in the paper for something that I liked and something in my budget. In this case, my eyes came to the attention of a 1989 Lincoln Mark VII. I believe the year was 1999 that I purchased it. Anyway, I didn't bother researching the vehicle itself, or I would have discovered the horror stories of Lincoln's TERRIBLE air suspension- among other things!

So, and this is really embarrassing to put, after checking out the vehicle- AT NIGHT (ugh, I know), I made arrangements to purchase it for $3,500.00 USD. As you can guess, it was a huge mistake. The car probably lasted a few months. The suspension was basically shot. You had to warm the car up for 10 minutes before the individual "air bags" that comprise the air suspension filled up, or else it would look like a low-rider and the tires would rub against the wells. The electrical work in it was shot and when I tried rolling down the passenger window, SMOKE came out of the switch! The gas guage was broken which led to me running out on many occasions.

Thankfully my time spent with this crap-box was very brief. My next car was a 1993 Dodge Intrepid ES, which I had really wanted all along because I was always a huge Intrepid and a huge Dodge fan. I named her "Veronica" and she was very good to me for a few years. Next up was a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, which is still my favorite car that I've ever had. After that was a 2002 Ford Explorer which I HATED! I'll never buy Ford again (nothing personal, so please don't attack me Ford Fans- I know you guys can be vicious). They weren't kidding when they said Ford stood for "Fix Or Repair Daily"!

I had much better luck with my 2002 Acura 3.2TL Type-S. She also was named Veronica, as all my cars are because she is the soul and the soul will always be with me and whichever vehicle I own. We had some very good times until she was stolen by some thugs and basically totaled!

Next up was an '03 Chevy Trailblazer. I don't have any major complaints other than it wasn't a Grand Cherokee!

Finally, I just purchased a couple of months ago a 2007 Toyota Camry. I wanted some much-needed reliability and good gas mileage. Hopefully it won't snow too much this winter so that I'll regret my switch from SUV's!

Anyway, I know the thread was about first cars so I apologize for rambling on and on (once again). The sad part is that I've had all these cars already and I'm barely 25 years old!

PS- Congratulations to everyone who campaigned for an Autos forum here! I thought it would be a great addition so let's prove myself right and keep up the good threads/posts on here!!!!!

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Veronica?

Do you name all your cars that because the first Veronica was a good car, or is there more?

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I know this is a bit of an old thread, but...

I agree with Rasputin, and I'm sure it's mentioned in the links Grady posted--don't shop at night. I just got a 99 Accent that seems to be in decent condition so far, but I missed a fairly large scratch down the side and a missing piece of trim (whatever--the rubber thing on the outside of the door.) Also there's a crack in the windshield; minor for now, but...

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I hope it is appropriate to post the swirling light thingy but this is an issue that happens all the time. Parents or young people buy a car and don't consider insurance until they have made the sale final.

This is what I u2u'd to EX---

Let me tell you from my own experience that you should shop insurance rates too. Considering that young people's insurance is so so high. I know because I have specialized in this business for 15 years. I would tell you now that the cheaper cars to insure and work on are the 4-door Honda Accord and Ford Taurus. I would try insurance brokers and main stream insurance companies if you cannot have her on your policy as well. Just another angle to look at. I am not trying to sell anything to you, just some money saving advice.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Insurance should definitely be a consideration too. If you don't want to take the time to shop around the different companies (although you definitely should), look at the obvious stuff--sports cars vs. sedans, for example. If you narrow the selection down to a handful of cars, just talk to maybe one or two different insurance agents to get a general idea of which would be cheaper to insure (even if you aren't going to use that agent in particular.)

Again, that was something I didn't consider when I was shopping last week, but it still worked out--saved about $40 on a 6-month plan. Not much, but it's almost enough for a 12 gal. tank of gas the way prices are going...

Ex

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Thanx Guys for the input!

I did find one that I think I am going to grab tomorrow!

It's a 1999 olds, 56 thousand miles on it.
I also had a mechanic look at it and he advised I get it at once!

The insurance thing is not that big a consideration,
we went through that 2 years ago,
but she has maintained a good record and the rates fell drastically
and are back in the normal range.

He also has a 2001 olds..but it has more mileage than the 99
and just doesn't run like that one I am getting her.

NOW.I will tell you my stupid move.....

I bought her an Acura 96 Integra, for her 16 th birthday.
Had the whole car redone.
Candy apple red paint job ( magnificent base-coat-clear coat job)
16 inch white rims,new tires
new headliner and seat covers, Sunroof repair

OMG!!
The interior guy burnt me bad too.
Gave me a price and then when I went to pick it up.it doubled.
I needed it for the next day.
so I paid through the Wazooooooo and bitched all the way home

She drove that car for two years, and the suspension went ,
as well as the transmission:bnghd:

So now she is asking for, LMAO
nothing sporty, 4 doors and good gas mileage

We both learned a couple lessons in the birthday episode

I also like American cars for parts replacement
seemed like anytime I said Acura.the price doubled:w:

Thanx Again All.......... Ex

new topics

top topics