It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homegrown Herbs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I've been interested in herbal medicines for a long time and I was wondering if anyone else here taken interest in growing herbs at home that can be used for medicinal purposes. ...and I'm not referring to the illegal ones.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 07:24 PM
link   
not illegal in california. 12 per houshold regardless of size with a doctors 'recomendation.' note.

Actually I know a lot about horticulture(legal plants too). Are you looking to grow on a balcony(and if so which direction does it face), indoors(you will need the proper spectrum) no flourecents won't work, in a greenhouse in the back yard, outside in direct sunlight, in pots(you will need to engieneer the soil so that it containes the proper micronutrients.), or directly into the ground?
There are lots of things to concider. Also what plants will you be growing together. Some plants can be kept in vegative growth so that you can perpetually harvest their leaves, others require ridgid photoperiods or they get extreamly confused hormonally.
Are you growing some herbs that are harvested for their roots, because microrrhysia fungi will most likely be needed to get anything substacial out of the root mass.

Talk to me I know quite a bit about this subject.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 01:09 AM
link   
It's unfortunate that certain plants are looked down upon because of certain people.

At the moment I'm looking for indoor herbs, what kind do you suspect are best for a novice and what links would you suggest if any? Thanks for replying.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Hey, i heard about some herb that alters time and space, I thought it sounded interesting. JK

[edit on 13-12-2006 by thehumbleone]

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Well i can tell you all about which types of cooking herbs will work well indoors, and I can tell you all about the herbs you need a spacial note to grow. I could also tell you how to grow just about any plant type indoors from tropical to tiaga.

When you say medicinal herbs what type are you talking about. Camphor, echinecea, ginsing or ginger? Need to know what you are referring to first then I can help out.

ALso where in the house are you going to be growing? A window sil? and if so on which side of the house north south east west? They all make a difference. What type of medium will you be growing in, pots for individuel plants or planter beds that hold several, cause that will be part of the equation. Are you going to grow with out sunlight, because there are things to concider there too.

If you are growing near a window, or on a sil, which hemishpere do you live in, how cold is it where you live. Are there bright lights outside your window that will upset the hormonal balance the plant maintains between day time and night. Will the room be one that is frequented like a kitchen where lights turn on and and off at random times of the day. This could make a big difference if you are growing leafy herbs or herbs for their flowers.

So fill me in so that I can help you proper.

top topics

join