It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is truly passed through Genetics !?!?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
All throughout my life I have always heard that I am my father's; son. How true is this ? Recently I have read an article that has got me thinking is someone born gay ? Or is it something that was acquired to them before they can remember ???

www.msnbc.msn.com
Would you choose a guaranteed $100 or a 20 percent chance of $1000? What if the odds went up to 40 percent?

Whatever your answer, your mother would likely agree. New research shows parents and children have similar attitudes toward risk-taking in matters of finance, careers, health and even driving.

"With 1 being a perfect match, the correlation is about 0.3," said co-author David Huffman, a senior research associate at the Institute for the Study of Labor in Bonn, Germany. "So it's not deterministic — lots of other things matter beside parents — but it's certainly not trivial."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I would like some more insight on this if anyone has any ?!?! Do you think that we pass on Alcoholism or is it something instilled in us as we are brought up around the smell actions of people on Alcohol ??? What about Pot ?? What about other stimulants ?!?! ... What about cursing ? Is a person more likely to swear if he has been hearing his father swearing since he was 1 years old !?! Does our subconscious kick in there and soak up what we cannot physically !?!? Such as whenever we sleep ... ??

[edit on 12-12-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Many human behaviors can be attributed to a mix of genetics and environment. Someone may be hot headed because their genetics give them an abnormally high testosterone level and they learned hot headed behaviors from their family members. That same person could be less "hot headed" if they were raised by cool headed people.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I think it all depends on the person, I myself do not seem anything like my parents, for years I thought I was adopted just because of how different I am, if this is all true, then I should be wanting to drive and work in movies and become a huge musician like the rest of my family, so why do I want to work on web design, why do I never want to drive even though at some point all of my immediate family has become a profesional driver.

I do believe it all depends on the person, and how emotionaly stable and independent the person is at birth, if someone is not independent, then they will depend on other people and most likely mimic their actions, if you are independent then you wont have as many influences, but how would someone become independent without that influence in the first place, I do believe most of it is decided at birth, and the it all depends on who you are and how things influence you.

that make sense?

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
Many human behaviors can be attributed to a mix of genetics and environment. Someone may be hot headed because their genetics give them an abnormally high testosterone level and they learned hot headed behaviors from their family members. That same person could be less "hot headed" if they were raised by cool headed people.

Yes this is very true my mother was abused or well raised very strickly, I.E kneel on rice, tabaso sauce in the mouth, soap too, whiped with a wisk, smaked across the face. When she had me she had to made a choice that she would not treat me in that manner but she has told me it was very very hard to not do those things..

Now that is alot different from lets say alzheimers where that is something you are very likely to get if it was in your family history. How about manic depression I have a friend of the family that has two children that both have it and they can trace it back into their past.

Something like a gambling addiction or Alcholism I think might be a little further off from being genetic. Now you might say that getting addicted to one "thing" might be traceable to genetics. Let's say your mother was a crack addict and you were born a crack baby might you be predisposed to getting atticted possibly but if you never see crack or get a hold of it then maybe not.

[edit on 12/13/2006 by Gman666]

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Very interesting topic. A quick note for now. When my father was in the hospital a few years ago, I spent day and night in the room with him. It was then that I first ever saw him sleep. Ane he sleeps on his side, curled up, just like I always have. Is this genetics? I have never seen him sleep before and haven't lived at home with him since the late '70s. I found this very interesting.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deus_Brandon
All throughout my life I have always heard that I am my father's; son. How true is this ? Recently I have read an article that has got me thinking is someone born gay ? Or is it something that was acquired to them before they can remember ???

I would like some more insight on this if anyone has any ?!?! Do you think that we pass on Alcoholism or is it something instilled in us as we are brought up around the smell actions of people on Alcohol ??? What about Pot ?? What about other stimulants ?!?! ... What about cursing ? Is a person more likely to swear if he has been hearing his father swearing since he was 1 years old !?! Does our subconscious kick in there and soak up what we cannot physically !?!? Such as whenever we sleep ... ??

I think this a case of nature V nurture I think some personality traits are genetic but how we use/abuse those traits is nurture. How we were brought up.
As regards alcoholism. High anxiety/depression (this has not been proved yet but I was involved in research) is thought to be genetic/predisposed.
The fact that people turn to alcohol to deal with it (self-medicate) could be a learnt behaviour. It could also be that someone is anxious and has a drink, finds it works and has some more. So on and so forth. The effect that alcohol is socially available still makes it nurture.
I think all personality traits can be seen this way. We learn to control (good nurture) the negative aspects of our personality. I am sure we all know someone who is lovely, controlled and *well adjusted* but once they have had a drink or drugs and their inhibitions drop they resort back to the negative aspects of their personality.
Bad nurture can also change our personality for the worst. Someone on this thread quoted an incidence of abuse.
As regards homosexuality there has been research to isolate a gene..I am not convinced, I am more convinced by this research though.
From the New Scientist 2004

The team suggests that gene variations on the X chromosome make women more likely to have more children, and men more likely to be gay. "We think of a gene for male homosexuality, but it might really be a gene for sexual attraction to men," says Simon LeVay, a neuroscientist at Stanford University and a writer on sexuality.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I am thinking that the level of maturness in the Parents have alot to do with how hot headed or not the parents are. I think that its not how much testosterone that our bodies have but rather how much that our emotions are toyed with and how much we learn to control our emotions. If we seem to get everything we want when we are young and it is basically cause we throw fits and we learn ... that this is what is getting us what we want ... then we are more appt to do that later on in life ...

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Yes this made sense to me ... BUT .. I do believe that if you wanted to be a profesional driver then you could do it ... And would be very good at it ... But to not get this thread goign into some other direction ... It was not created to say that if my dad ... who actuallly played in the NFL ... played there means I am suppose to play there ... It means .. my dad wanted to do something and he did it ... I have the same want to in my life and desire drive to do things that I want to .. Is that because that is how he raised me ... I know that has alot to do with it ... But does it also go into what I got Genetically ??? I Just noticed one of my friends are adopted and thier morals ... and the way that she acts is IDENTICAL to her Step dad ... Akwardly enough no blood there .. but noone would ever believe it if you told them ...

Originally posted by pshkwamy
I think it all depends on the person, I myself do not seem anything like my parents, for years I thought I was adopted just because of how different I am, if this is all true, then I should be wanting to drive and work in movies and become a huge musician like the rest of my family, so why do I want to work on web design, why do I never want to drive even though at some point all of my immediate family has become a profesional driver.

I do believe it all depends on the person, and how emotionaly stable and independent the person is at birth, if someone is not independent, then they will depend on other people and most likely mimic their actions, if you are independent then you wont have as many influences, but how would someone become independent without that influence in the first place, I do believe most of it is decided at birth, and the it all depends on who you are and how things influence you.

that make sense?

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 03:27 PM
link   
VERY INTERESTING !!!! This is what I want more of ... I hate it that I am seeing myself coming more like my dad ... As in more Vocal .. I was not like that at all when I was young but now that I don't have him around yelling all the time .. At Ball games or wherever we are at .. Is it I am compensating for what I have missed when I was young /./??? Or is it I am just becoming more like him !?!?!? Hmm ?

Originally posted by tokenblonde
Very interesting topic. A quick note for now. When my father was in the hospital a few years ago, I spent day and night in the room with him. It was then that I first ever saw him sleep. Ane he sleeps on his side, curled up, just like I always have. Is this genetics? I have never seen him sleep before and haven't lived at home with him since the late '70s. I found this very interesting.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I don't know where i heard it, and can't find a reliable source for it, but I had heard that one of the possible causes of homosexuality was maternal stress during gestation.

I thought it was a reasonable theory, and possibly an evolutionary necessity. Since humans are social creatures, it may have been necessary for groups that were under stress, such as low food supplies, or risk of predation to limit the size of the pack. Homosexuals would be perfect for this situation.

Not only that, but it would also explain why homosexuals say they feel gay for as long as they remember, because they were, in fact, born gay.

If I find anything about this online I'll post it.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
This is very interesting ... I am open to hear more on this .. Very open .. I think you could probably start your own thread on this ... subject ... Although it may be *RANTED OUT* ... Anyways ... I have alot of gay friends ... I myself believe there is something wrong with it ... I have yet to meet even one of my gay friends friends friends that weren't abused some way when they were a child. Whether it was something as little as they FELT they were NEGLECTED ... The funny thing is the only one I have found that his parents are still together ... is FILTHY RICH ... He was always given everything then one day his parents just jerked the Passy out of his mouth when he was like 12 years old ... and Even more so ... when he turned 18 ad got wasted one night and wrecked his brand new 'vette. After than it was all down hill him trying to sell drugs to his friends ... then trying to find somewhere he could fit in because he had always had money to fit in .. and that was suddenly gone .. So he didn't know where or how to fit in without this ... All the sudden his "FRIENDS" weren't around anymore ... And he ran into a couple other people ... that accepted him as part of thier group ... And so it began ... Anyways .. This is after being a good friend with this guy for a long period of time ... He has told me this .. now he said it is his "WAY OF LIFE" and that he will never go back to his old lifestyle because friends only are your friends because they want something from him. The only way I could make him feel comfortable enough to even talk about this is for me to forget it and never ask him any questions about it and go on liek I didn't even know ... So that is exactly what I am doing ... Anyways ... this was all typed very hastily and from my mind ... So if there is anything that is not understandable I apologize ... as my mind likes to rable sometimes .

Originally posted by Murphs

I think this a case of nature V nurture I think some personality traits are genetic but how we use/abuse those traits is nurture. How we were brought up.
As regards alcoholism. High anxiety/depression (this has not been proved yet but I was involved in research) is thought to be genetic/predisposed.
The fact that people turn to alcohol to deal with it (self-medicate) could be a learnt behaviour. It could also be that someone is anxious and has a drink, finds it works and has some more. So on and so forth. The effect that alcohol is socially available still makes it nurture.
I think all personality traits can be seen this way. We learn to control (good nurture) the negative aspects of our personality. I am sure we all know someone who is lovely, controlled and *well adjusted* but once they have had a drink or drugs and their inhibitions drop they resort back to the negative aspects of their personality.
Bad nurture can also change our personality for the worst. Someone on this thread quoted an incidence of abuse.
As regards homosexuality there has been research to isolate a gene..I am not convinced, I am more convinced by this research though.
From the New Scientist 2004

The team suggests that gene variations on the X chromosome make women more likely to have more children, and men more likely to be gay. "We think of a gene for male homosexuality, but it might really be a gene for sexual attraction to men," says Simon LeVay, a neuroscientist at Stanford University and a writer on sexuality.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Now this I can totally agree with possibly ... Very much so ... even in animals ... From the way that the food chain worked out ... When everything was in NATURE it was perfect now that we are here and cause more stress on each other than should have ever be/created. Maybe it is man made psycological stress such as ... I am not wearing the right type of cothes to the house that I live in isn't good enough ... Where as when we were all living in caves or wherever it was we were liing before we started Building homes ... and trying to out do each other .... When it used to be look at the Catch I had to day I will trade you a filet of this fish for a yard of fabric ... or ... what not ...

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
I don't know where i heard it, and can't find a reliable source for it, but I had heard that one of the possible causes of homosexuality was maternal stress during gestation.

I thought it was a reasonable theory, and possibly an evolutionary necessity. Since humans are social creatures, it may have been necessary for groups that were under stress, such as low food supplies, or risk of predation to limit the size of the pack. Homosexuals would be perfect for this situation.

Not only that, but it would also explain why homosexuals say they feel gay for as long as they remember, because they were, in fact, born gay.

If I find anything about this online I'll post it.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 11:28 PM
link   

www.msnbc.msn.com
Would you choose a guaranteed $100 or a 20 percent chance of $1000? What if the odds went up to 40 percent?

Whatever your answer, your mother would likely agree. New research shows parents and children have similar attitudes toward risk-taking in matters of finance, careers, health and even driving.

Quite intreresting, I asked my parents the same question and well, they got the same answer as I did - the $100. Anyone have different answers than their parents?

This is quite interesting.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I got the same answers as my parents ... and 2 out of my 3 co-workers asked thier parents ... and they got the same anwers as thier parents to ... And they are 24 and 37 females ...

Originally posted by k4rupt

www.msnbc.msn.com

Quite intreresting, I asked my parents the same question and well, they got the same answer as I did - the $100. Anyone have different answers than their parents?

This is quite interesting.

new topics

top topics

join