It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Based Secret Societies?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Does anyone know of any internet based secret societies, or other organizations? Perhaps, "Old School" style telnet BBS groups?

Please point me in the right direction...

I'm sorry if this has been asked in a different thread.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   
i have heard of no such thing.. and would like to bring up the fact that nothing on the internet is secret

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Becon of Light
i have heard of no such thing..

Well, if you haven't heard of it, then there must not be any at all right??

Please...

and would like to bring up the fact that nothing on the internet is secret

Maybe true, but these groups (if they are out there) could be on a secure website using SSL with a high encryption algorithm.

As for the old school type BBS's, perhaps they aren't using telnet as it is not secure at all, but maybe SSH.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   
There is a group claiming to either be the original AISB, or at least a modern revival of that groups liberal, radical, individualist, anti-authoritarian intent, that seems to exist as an online bulletin board. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find that site anymore.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Hell yeah, there's a lot of them. I used to be in a few back in the days of BBSing, but most of the ones I'm aware of either got busted, went public, or disbanded. However, here's a few that I can remember off the top of my head, along with the references I could find.

The 2600 Club - Any phreak worth their salt had more issues of this than they did Playboy. This handy little group was the very definition of the Information Society. Their references allowed many a savvy individual to even the playing field between the phone companies, the banks, and the users.

ACiD - aka Ansi Creators in Demand. BBS art at its finest, the original members of this group were pretty heavy into the hacker culture, as were their later members, but the group for the most part went legit and has now branched into other media.

The Humble Guys - Any BBS worth their salt had at least a few games cracked by this group until they later got busted.

Other cracker groups included:
The Dream Team
Fairlight
INC (International Network of Crackers)
Razor
Prestige
Hybrid

There was also INSOC which was a sort of cult-following of the band Information Society and, typically, fans of William Gibson, whom, not unlike the members of ATS, were quite into the widespread distribution of conspiracy theory and sticking it to the man.

Hope this helps. Like I said though, you'll be hard pressed to find any of these people nowadays...except maybe ACiD, which went corporate.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Thanks thelibra, I looked into your list. Are there any that are still active that anyone knows about?

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by agent014
Thanks thelibra, I looked into your list. Are there any that are still active that anyone knows about?

Absolutely, but finding them is usually part of the application process.

On the net, you are anonymous. You are free from race, creed, color, monetary caste, country, and so forth. The only determining factor between a mere user and the elite ranks is the level of information one can unlock. If you really want to find your niche, you are going to have to delve deep into the scene. Considering that the USG and other governments now considers hackers to be terrorists, it won't be easy, and along the way you just might find yourself arrested, depending on how deep you delve, and how carelessly you leave your trail.

I will, however, provide you with one single step in the right direction.

Look for a game called "Uplink", and pay real close attention to the game and the message boards surrounding it.

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by agent014
Well, if you haven't heard of it, then there must not be any at all right??

Please...

now is there any reason to take that snide tone? i was simply stating that i have never heard of an internet secret society, and then you go acting like i'm suggesting that anything i havent heard of couldnt possibly exist... grow up and take that tone out of your posts, you'll find that people here respond poorly to it

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 02:37 AM
link   

pot... pot to kettle... come in kettle...

back on subject. like thelibra said, elitest groups on the net are very hard to find and even harder to get in to. and watch what you get into, because some groups that appear to be one thing can in fact be another and rope you in hardcore into some very evil things.

bad guys out there. just letting you know.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 12:02 AM
link   
mIRC #2600,#defcon were pretty secret and closed groups in the early days.
I am sure there are others I can't remember.

As far as an actual secret society there are the owls that have a pretty good locked down online forum. (Owls from Harvard)

Masnry has some hidden things online where brothers all over get together and also has real world tools on there.

As far as BBS all I remember is Ascii pictures lol.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra

Other cracker groups included:
The Dream Team
Fairlight
INC (International Network of Crackers)
Razor
Prestige
Hybrid

I used to be big into downloading [certain games which may or may not have been legally purchased] and Fairlight and Razor had their signatures on nearly everything I downloaded. I managed to find both of their "recruiting" sites and they were only open to people who were either skilled crackers and programmers, or employees of software companies so that they could get game and software releases prior to public release. Thanks to the efforts of Fairlight and Razor, people were able to get games and software weeks before release to the public. I wouldn't categorize these as "secret societies", persay. They were secret organizations, but only because what they were doing was considered illegal. They were still around just over a year ago, but I haven't looked into lately. I'm extremely interested in secret societies on the internet now that you've mentioned it, so I'm going to look into it more and I'll get back to you if I find anything relevant.

In 2004, Team Fairlight was over 17 years old, and was the victim of law enforcement intervention. After the intervention they released a letter saying they were severely wounded but were still alive.

Razor 1911 has also been the victim of law enforcement over the past few years, but I believe it is still in existence. Again, these are not so much secret societies, but are just "piracy teams".

DEViANCE was another piracy group that I am familiar with, (not affiliated with!), and they were also raided by law enforcement in the past couple years, but I believe they are still around.

I dunno exactly what you're looking for though. If you're looking for more information about these kinds of groups, Wikipedia has a fairly good list and pretty accurate information on a lot of them:

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 18/12/06 by an3rkist]

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Let us also not forget one of the most prominent internet secret societies on the world wide web: RATS. They're a top secret faction of ATS, and unfortunately, there's not a whole lot of information about what goes down in the RATS internet "gatherings". I've heard rumors of them sharing links to online videos of human sacrifices, but I have no proof yet. If only one of us non-RATS could infiltrate - yeah. Hmmmmmmmm.....

new topics

top topics

join