It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New School Rules

page: 1

join
share:
Ex

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I am amazed at the new rules and guidelines in
our schools and the punishments
that are being imposed on our children.

My son came home yesterday, from Middle School
and told me it is now against the rules to bring a Bible
to school, with a punishment of 1 years suspension if it
broken.

I was looking for a list of what the general rules are
for middle schools these days, to no avail.

I did run across this story, that I thought most interesting also

I think if you are not on school property ,
then they shouldn't have the power to suspend.

Ryan Biggar, 16, and his 17-year-old girlfriend had permission to leave Middle Creek High School for an off-campus program. When their event was canceled for the day, they were caught having sex in the girl's home.

Should this even be a court case?
The parents of the young man , have found themselves battling for fairness.

Biggar's family is filing a lawsuit against the school system, saying his suspension for the rest of the school year is unconstitutional. He says he had no notice that private, consensual, off-campus sexual activity could subject him to school suspension....

volokh.com...

Whats your take on all of this???

[edit on 12/07/2006 by Ex]

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I think that schools have become concentration camps for our kids, almost. If a kid breaks the rules, like chewing gum he/she is suspended at the very least and then the cops are called. This is insane.

As for not being allowed to bring a Bible to school, that seems unconstitutional. I am very much for separation of church and state, even to the point of endorsing no prayer in school, and I'm not a Christian - but even I'm outraged at that.

Anyone should be able to carry a Bible, a Koran, a Book of Shadows or whatever their religion dictates they should read. I can't even understand why they would want to ban a kid from carrying a Bible, it makes no sense.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Yes, I am a freshmen in a catholic high school, which is a huge jump from the public middle school that I went to. In my public middle school we had an atheist science teacher. If I recall correctly, during one of his lectures about evolution, a kid who disagreed with him who had brought a bible to school and began reading about the creationism in the bible, he was sent to the office because he "offended" our atheist teacher.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Perhaps he was offended because one of his students was disrupting class. Science class is not Theology or Bible Study which a Catholic school already has.

[edit on 12-12-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   
The bible is just a book, its all an angle of perspective, some people take it seriously, others think its a storybook, if you cant bring the bible to school then I dont think that Roman mythology should be allowed in school, they teach that, and since the bible isnt proven as factual information, then it should be held in the same regard to anything that is taught in school, I left the normal school system because of some ridiculas rules, apperintly your not allowed to call teaches "dude" or "buddy" yet they call me things I dont want them calling me, nothing offensive but its not like I could do anything about it, I tried, they just dont believe students, its so stupid, school is insanity, and the most insane rule is wilful difiance (sp?) an exampe of that is if a teacher asks you to leave a classroom, and you are leaving but being a smart ass about it, and they suspend you, its just crazy.

I only ever earned one of my suspensions and I am proud of it (impersenated the vice princible and told someones parents that their child was missing and the cops came and it was hillarious, almost got expeled), the rest were just my word against anothers.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   
That's very immature. I don't think you're helping the discussion very much.

However, it is unconstitutional to prohibit children from bringing religious books to a public school. Anyone in a situation like that should bring a lawsuit against the school, you will win it.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I'm very sorry to hear this. This is an attrocity. If this be the case then I believe we need to stand up and kick evloution out of our schools. All evolution is doing is teaching our youth an alternative religion, but one the is profoundly accepted. There is no reason that our schools should be able to teach that humanity became from nothing but tiny atoms, and not teach that humanity could have come from a creator.

Take back our schools. We pay them our tax money to teach our kids a one sided point of view.

And also, the Bible is just a book, what threat does this pose?

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
While I totally agree that some of the rules being instituted in the schools are becoming insanely strict and in some cases absolutely ridiculous, I can�t help but think that a lot of it has to do with the parents and teachers.

I remember, with quite a bit of clarity, getting my hand smacked by a ruler (not real hard, but hard enough) when I, ahem� misbehaved
(didn�t happen often, trust me). When I got home and told my parents, they would tell me I got what I deserved, call the teacher to find out what happened, and then restrict me to the house for a few days.

In short, my parents trusted my teachers to do what was right and not go overboard. Unfortunately, I think this trust, for the most part, is no longer taking place for whatever reason. And this has led to parents demanding a very �hands off� attitude by the teachers, filing lawsuits when a child is reprimanded, complaining to school officials and so on.

This has led schools to develop these �insanely strict and in some cases absolutely ridiculous� rules in order to make sure that they have every avenue covered so as to avoid lawsuits, complaints etc.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I myself can class myself a a bad kid at school really, i was always sent out, and im 14 now and havn't been too school for over 6 months, I live in UK...

I don't know about US, but here in UK, rules ain't too strong, if you have chewing gum you just be told too spit out(I had tedency too refuse)...
But too me in schools, punishments don't work at all..., they never did with me, they just made me worse, i just didn't attend detetions etc...
I admit i am a bad kid though i swore at teachers and got in fights, but i just liked standing for my cause..., i got suspended for most stupided things too, so they started picking on me for being bad.

But education sytem in every country is load crap, I can see in the future there being so many rules, you cannot do a thing without breaking one, like no bible?, how about a Koran if i bringed one them in then what?

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 12:43 AM
link   
You should go back to school, and make an effort to learn. I suggest you start with an English class. Communication is key, clear communication is jack hammer.

The bible is not literature in the school curriculum. It doesn't belong in the classroom. Did you happen to call your sons school to find out exactly what the new rule was? Children have a habit of super-simplifying things, and I have a feeling the rule is not as absolute as he may have portrayed, or you may have portrayed here in this thread. I'm inclined to believe the rule is more like, the reading of non-curriculum literature, is not allowed in class. Been that way since I was a child. (~20 years ago) I bet some student sarcasticaly asked if the Bible was included, and the teacher said yes, because it's not in the curriculum. I'm sure these students are allowed to read any non-banned literature, between classes, during lunch, and before or after school.

Maybe you could call, and report back with the exact rule. I would love to know really.

And as for those kids sexing it up at HOME!�the only thing they could be culpable for would be truency. Only if they were required to return to school after the cancellation of their event. Otherwise, the school needs to concentrate more on teacher/student relations, then student/student relations off campus.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
There are a lot of things that plague public schools. One of which is litigation or the threat of it. The concerns over litigation have impeded the ability of schools to educate students properly. From a litigation standpoint, it is easier for a school to abolish bibles than for them to risk a multi-million dollar lawsuit because of some religious harassment or discrimination suit. It just does not end with bibles. All sorts of things are being gutted or stiffled to avoid lawsuits like the healthy and natural (albeit sometimes cruel) playground dynamic, curriculae, and discipline.

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I was suspended for a fight I was in even though it was after school and not on campus, a parent brought it up to the school though and guess that was enough to suspend me.

I was also suspended because I had a handycam in my jacket pocket for after school stuff and the teacher saw the samsung batter peeking out and asked if I had a camera in my pocket. I said no but it was obvious I did but I wasen't about to give it to them for a week. So she called the SRO Officer so he and the vice principal come and take me from the class, this was during end of course exams so I didn't get to take my exams so I've probably failed this symester because of it. :/

I get in trouble for the stupidest things at school :/

high school is hell

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by nextguyinline

The bible is not literature in the school curriculum. It doesn't belong in the classroom. Did you happen to call your sons school to find out exactly what the new rule was? Children have a habit of super-simplifying things, and I have a feeling the rule is not as absolute as he may have portrayed, or you may have portrayed here in this thread. I'm inclined to believe the rule is more like, the reading of non-curriculum literature, is not allowed in class. Been that way since I was a child. (~20 years ago) I bet some student sarcasticaly asked if the Bible was included, and the teacher said yes, because it's not in the curriculum. I'm sure these students are allowed to read any non-banned literature, between classes, during lunch, and before or after school.

Bibles are banned at our school too, but they're fine with other non-curriculum literature, I find myself reading the Myth series by Robert Aspirin frequently

They banned completely white t-shirts last year because of that rap song. They're aloud now though.

We aren't aloud to wear shirts with the rebel flag on it though, thats a big problem here too in Tennessee

[edit on 12/22/2006 by Crispy]

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I think that anything that happens outside of school shouldn't be punished inside of school. The two students caught having sex outside of school should be punished. If you have a fight outside of school you shouldn't be punished either.

I was suspended for a fight I was in even though it was after school and not on campus, a parent brought it up to the school though and guess that was enough to suspend me.

new topics

top topics

join