It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

magrail launch system is the future

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 03:59 AM
link   
www.technovelgy.com...

Text

This sounds very sensible. Use a VERY large solar, wind (or Nuclear, ergh) farm to charge for each launch. Launch lots of boosters into High Earth Orbit. Modular construction of space craft, all pre-fab, all easily assembled (minimal in space repairs, just replace module), expand ISS with a small assembly platform, assembly minimised by connecting modules like massive pieces of lego, comparmentalised airlock like a sub. Look at those massive rockets the shuttle is strapped on to. In space there ain't a whole lot of friction. This means acelleration while the boosters are on you would constantly accelerate until you reach the speed the exhaust gas comes out the back end. Is this correct or am i just peeing into the wind? Feel free to burn me at any stage. I can handle criticism. So, what if u had the same size booster as you need to leave earth orbit and cranked her up just outside of earth orbit, when the jucie flags, your ion drive could be building up. Would this reduce mars - earth times

light

Admin edit to fix dead link

[edit on 15-12-2006 by SimonGray]

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Why no replies? Probably been done. I guess i am a goose.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 04:48 AM
link   
The link is broken.

But anyway, I'll reply. You don't get many replies in the middle of the night on here as most of the board is from the North America.

Use a VERY large solar, wind (or Nuclear, ergh) farm to charge for each launch.

Charge for what? Since I can't see the link right now, you'll have to fill me in. Does this have to do with the Space Elevator? OR some other form of electricity driven propulsion like Mag-Lev slingshots and the like?

Launch lots of boosters into High Earth Orbit.

Boosters as in Chemical Rocket Boosters?

Modular construction of space craft, all pre-fab, all easily assembled (minimal in space repairs, just replace module),

I like this idea a lot! It's the only way to bring the cost of access down in the near term.

expand ISS with a small assembly platform, assembly minimised by connecting modules like massive pieces of lego, comparmentalised airlock like a sub.

Compartmentalized Airlock? Can you expand on that just a bit?

Look at those massive rockets the shuttle is strapped on to. In space there ain't a whole lot of friction. This means acelleration while the boosters are on you would constantly accelerate until you reach the speed the exhaust gas comes out the back end. Is this correct or am i just peeing into the wind?

Mass is the big factor when vectoring in space. The larger the mass is the more energy it will take to accelerate or decelerate.

Feel free to burn me at any stage. I can handle criticism. So, what if u had the same size booster as you need to leave earth orbit and cranked her up just outside of earth orbit, when the jucie flags, your ion drive could be building up. Would this reduce mars - earth times

Solar Sail could reach Mars in a Month

jra

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Your link doesn't work for me, but I've heard about the idea before. It's not a bad idea. I have no idea how much power it would take to operate one or how long the track would need to be (I'd assume it depends on the size and mass of the object), so I don't know if it's a practical idea or not. At least maybe not right now anyway. I could see it being used on the Moon in the future, with less gravity and no atmospheric resistance to deal with. One just has to make sure the acceleration isn't to quick, or everyone inside becomes strawberry jam, so to speak

Here's a wikipedia link on the subject: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 04:53 AM
link   
The track can be made into a 3 dimensional spiral.

Ah thx Sanctum! They could get more bang for their buck if they made it into a 3d Spiral instead of a regular 2d one.

[edit on 12-12-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Cheers for the encourqgement!, i heard a few years ago they were thinking of running the track along the floor of a valley and up through a mountain....czn't remember where i read it though...... as for compartmentalised air locks, if one starts leaking, they shut off like in a sub. All modular to a certain degree. All electrical, water, sewage, refrigeration gasses could all be in a designated spot on the module, if it is plugged in, system works, if not, no biggie, computer controlled valves will leave it nice and ready for when something is plugged into it. They could assemble it like docking with the ISS a few hundered times. If there are no people on board you can shoot cargo up at a great rate of accelleration without making strawberry jam, send the astronauts or cosmonauts (lets give credit where its due, first orbit, sputnik, mir, etc)
could travel up in a conventional shuttle or even just an orbiter or even space ship 1 style!!!! The thing would be biggest thing of the century to date, all countries could be involved in building mudules, later craft could be split up and turned into other craft, also you could update your technology one mudule at a time, no need to retrofit a large spacecraft o r shelve a billlion dollor bird every few years

just my open onion

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 05:53 AM
link   
(I'm australian if that last line confuses)

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 06:07 AM
link   
The thing that would advance us quick is to establish an industry standard accross the board, you use this standard you get access to knowledge and expertise from accross the globe, more competition and a cheaper price

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Wow! this is uncanny, this is exactly what i had pictured when i first posted

www.cnn.com...

(Tin foil hat goes on)

top topics

join