It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't be coward, talk to me about it!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Ever been the new guy/gal at work? Ever had people talk about you behind your back and you've caught them? This has been happening to me over the past few days.

About 2 months ago, I got a job in fast food, working at KFC. I've learned real quick and have had a few stumbles here and there, the people at my work already know a little bit about me, how I still live with my parents, how I have a drink every now and then, and how my family is fighting to keep a roof over our head. I've told them about my stepdad, how he is bad at spending money, how we get over draft after over draft notices from the bank (each overdraft we get charged $30). No wonder we had to move out of our house about 2 years ago and into a small condo, because my stepdad can't keep his priorities straight. Nothing I can do, he's been the best guy my mom has ever been married to, and we wouldn't make ends meet without him.

About 4 years ago he got in a car wreck and nearly died, broke a few ribs, bruised his heart, he was DUI, lost his job because he was wearing his work uniform, and he STILL hasn't learned.

Maby I gave a little to much info out to my co-workers, they asked and I told the truth, maby they know more then that since I work with my best friend's girlfriend. She had complained to me about how they talked crap about her behind their back because she was the new kid on the block. But tonight I found her doing the same thing to me. Just like yesterday when I had caught 2 others whispering and shooting glances at me while they gossiped. At the time I ignored them, but earlier tonight right before I got off of work, she came up to me and asked, "You didn't hear any of that conversation over the headset did you"? I asked her if I should have to which she just shruged. I told her no and she said okay and went back to the front of the store, then I asked from the back, "Why, were you guys talking $#!^"? And that caught her off guard, she vigerously shook her head no and had the deer in the headlight look.

I know when someone is lieing most of the time, especially when I catch them off guard, I was engaged at one time, don't play with me.
This has been picking at me for the past few hours since I got off of work, I've been complemented in the past about being the most positive person there, but my co workers don't know what I've been through in life, I'm one of the oldest there besides my 2 managers and the 3 cooks, these youger highschoolers don't know what real life is all about yet, but here I am, at age 22 and this is my first real job. Why? Because I've been avoiding people for the past 3 years. And as much as I try to bush it all off, I can't help but to see the ignorance of my co-workers. I've been doing good, customers are already asking for me by name to take their orders and serve them because I'm good and certious and give them what they want.
So to end my rant, you 16-18 year old co-workers of mine still have alot to learn, no respect for others and no consideration for what they've gone through in life. Theres a reason I've avoided people and haven't worked for a while, this is just one of them. Heartless fools. One of these days you'll talk down to the wrong person and will soon find out that they took their own life the next day, then how would you feel? If you got something to say, say it to my face! Don't be a coward.

Thank you all for reading, I really needed to get that off my chest.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I agree slash.

You need to not take it so seriously though. They do have much to learn, and they are very immature. Chances are they will be like that their entire life.

I'm the assistant manager at my work, and I have to deal wtih a group of 18 year olds that come in with different hairstyles and tons of different piercings each week.

I'm not the kind of person that people talk # about but I do understand where you are coming from. Just give them a chance to see who you really are, and maybe they'll open up to you. If all else fails, forget them. They aren't worth talking to and if you ignore them i'm sure they'll feel like crap.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Yes, you're right, maby it's because I have no piercings. But these kids talk crap about our manager (he's a nice guy), our co-manager (also a nice guy), and our assist co-manager (she has 2 kids and is on her own). They will see me for who I am over time, I mean I've only been there for a little over 2 months. Thank you for your kind words, they mean alot. Stress sucks.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Slash, I'm also thinking that these kids not only do not deserve your words, but they do not deserve your time either. Try not telling them anything about yourself anymore, and they won't have anything to say.

I'm suggesting that if at all possible, finding a new job that suits you better with pay, and co-workers.

Good luck.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Oh man how I wish I could, KFC is the only place that would hire me aound here as I have no car. I apped to 4 other places, including a Pay-less, Arbbies, Sub-way, and a gamestop. I went to KFC as my last stop and the manager happened to be there. The manager liked me alot, and the co-manager was the one to interview me, I was the top pick over 11 other people from what I hear. My co-workers arn't that bad, we joke around alot and I make them laugh alot. My first impressions where positive, but to have this happen has kinda hurt me.
So I've decided what you've sugested, not tell them about my self anymore. I just want to fit in, but these past events have only been a road block, but like every road block I've encountered in life, I'll find an alternate route.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 02:03 AM
link   
This happens to me all the time, just because I'm handsome, people automatically start to think I'm "stuck up" or whatever, it pisses me off.

The truth is, I'm actually very shy.

[edit on 12-12-2006 by thehumbleone]

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
people automatically start to think I'm "stuck up"

There is a trick to this.

I actually taught myself this when I was 18. The trick is to forget about what people think or say. Just brush it off as if it never happened and then start to believe in that.

You may not think it works once you start trying it but, once you instill the idea of not caring about what other people think, in your head you'll actually start to believe it yourself.

I've been doing this for years and it works for me everytime.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 02:20 AM
link   

This happens to me all the time, just because I'm handsome, people automatically start to think I'm "stuck up" or whatever, it pisses me off.

I know what you mean, had someone the other day tell me I looked like I was 16 years old, when I'm 22. I thanked him and told him I'm enjoying my youth. Then told him how old I really was. He said he was shocked, to which I replied, "When it comes to people, I treat them like a book, I never judge a book by it's cover".
This guy was 61 years old and was amazed by what I said.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Slash....it's good to hear from you and I'm glad you vented here. When it comes right down to it....every place of employment is pretty much the same (it's like high school). People love to gossip. People have cliques and love to gang up on people, especially new people.

I would do what someone else suggested, keep your personal life to yourself and ignore their crap. They don't provide you with a paycheck....and that's what you are there for: to work and get paid.

Let them be ignorant and you should enjoy the fact that you are above it!!

Good luck to you!!

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Thank you all for your kind words, they really are a pick me up for me and my low self esteem. Just got home from a 6 hour shift and had a real good day, I was only working with my manager and the assist co-manager. We did awesome together.

The manager was sick today, bad enough he has a severe stuttering problem, ever hear a stuttering congested person talk? Yeah, that ment I had to take orders on the drive through, and I suck at that real bad. But I did real well today! Was able to pick up on his slack and cover for him quite a bit. Got major props today, that should shut the mouths of the highschoolers, lol.

[edit on 12-12-2006 by Slash]

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I know a lot of shy people who get confused with being stuck up, not all of them are good looking either. I think that people are under the impression that if you don't immediatly open up and have a conversation with someone...then you must think you are too good to talk to them.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowflake_obsidian

I know a lot of shy people who get confused with being stuck up, not all of them are good looking either. I think that people are under the impression that if you don't immediatly open up and have a conversation with someone...then you must think you are too good to talk to them.

Well they think I'm even more stuck up because I'm quite + good looking.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   

WEll, you DID mention your good looks a couple of times already. LOL.

Slash,

It's probably not a good idea to spill your guts to your co-workers. At least not
right away. It gives people "things" to talk about.

As far as the whole gossiping thing..It's par for the course, as far as the workplace goes. You'll get used to that. Just don't let it bother you.
Rise above it, become the manager..THEN, they will REALLY talk about you.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I agree with Space Doubt.

And if you want to go a step further in that. If they really talk about you all the time, then that must mean you are quite an interesting and popular person if they find you fascinating enough to talk about.

let's face it, they are teenagers. How many of us were perfect little angels when we were teenagers? I'm willing to bet they have a few dirty little secrets too and are no better. So don't worry about it.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Slash, stick with it brother. You were handeling s*** all day with the co-manager! Mad props. DOn't think you didn't get a glowing recommendation from you co-manager when he later talked to the primary manager, they probably had lots of good stuff to say behind your back...about you. Like how glad they are to have a employee with real potential. What a relief it is that they can now train someone to become their peers.

Other people at the job talk crap about you for two reasons. they are young, stupid, and need to vent their misguided feelings. Or they are just jelouse of you plain and simple. I mean you walked right in there, did very little to win the trust and respect of the boss. And other people can see that too. It pisses them off because they probably have been working there longer and have not even been concidered for promotion like you probably are. wehter you know it or not. They don't realise that they aren't excelling because of their half assed attitude towords their job. So they make you the enemy.

My advice....Screw em. Literally what do they know, besides how to be a F*** up who won't ever get out of their current situations and will always go on blaming or attacking other people to make up for their inward anger. Don't lower yourself to these peoples pathetic playing level. It's little kids stuff.

I agree that regardless of where or what type of job you do in the future you will always run into these types.

Also, some people above you in command might make you're life hell too becuase they are threatend by you, or your talent. They will try to get you fired or make you look like your incompetant. Just know that if you are having decent honest conversations with your boss then know that they can see easily past the bogus report their underling gave them regarding you. In fact same thing happened to me when I first got my job. Now I'm the assistant to the CEO. And I got there quickly too upsurping alot of the people who 'hated' me. The supervisor who tried pulling that stunt on me got fired. She didn't realise that the boss was on to her but just needed her to give herself more rope to hang herself with. Favorite trick of the boss by the way. You know, for in the future when you're the boss. But you'll figure this out on your own.

Word of advise. DOn't get over emotional if you feel like they are getting to you. Instead use this thread or U2U me and talk about your grief in private. It'll make you look better at work. Also, if asked directly then talk about your private life, but don't disclose it with out invitation. Not becuase you have a problem but people think that if you openly discuss your problems without an invitation to do so that you are inordenantly obsessed with them and not 'ordinary' Instead take solice in the fact when you walk home from work that 90% of the people around you have similar problems and personal pain that they are hiding or dealing with.

Also, think of this job as a learning ground cause it's really just a stepping stone in your carrier. Learn 'the game' of office politics here. climb the company latter while you are still young. Your final job position when you leave KFC will help determin what sort of job you can continue to grow and excel in. Being a manager looks great on a resume of someone your age. So go for it and leave the other shmucks who just don't get it in the dust to wallow in their own problems.

Lastly, don't get too sensative to anything the co-manager or manager says to you that you would concider critisim. They are actually trying to help you and wouldn't mention these things to you if they didn't respect you. Think about it . The other screw up employees probably get yelled at or ignored and shunted to lesser duties by their bosses, and they obvioulsy don't do that with you. Some days will be bad and you may feel not as hot as you thought you were but that was just the day and not you. BOsses can also go from very nice like you are their pet employee under their wing to indifferent and cold on some days. They are people too and you are still most likely their favorite employee, they just couldn't comunicate that to you tacitly that day. So don't feel too bad, and know that anybody, who became sucessfull on their own two feet has gone throught the same trials and tribulations you are currently going through.

Good luck and keep up the apparent good work.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   

This is strange HumbleOne....this is the second time you have discussed your good looks as the other poster also mentioned. This time you are telling us you are QUITE+ good looking?

I'm not sure if you are trying to be facetious or if you are actually this into yourself......If you are this into yourself, maybe you should change your name!!

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Hang in there, Slash. Just remember, it's a paycheck. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm sure you'll move on to bigger and better things soon. Ignore the crapola going on around you and focus on the task.

To the world- By the way, have I mentioned lately how attractive I am? Duhdang, I'm hawt. Don't hate me because I'm beautiful!

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   
UUHHHGGG!!!! I hate it too. Everybody thinks I'm so mean and selfcentered cause I'm so hot. Like the other day, geeze today by noon alone I've had like four...fourteen girls totally want me cause of my looks, but I didn't hit on them cause I was so shy. This one girl even chased me with her car begging me to stop and talk to her cause I'm so handsome. She must think I'm a jerk cause I won't give her my time but it's jsut cause I'm so good looking.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   
People will believe whatever pleases them regardless of the truth. Gossip is just another form of escapism. Everyone has enough on their own plates without having to examine the lives of others.

People are quite powerless to effect any change in another person's life, but they like to disguise their own feelings of inadequacy with harsh judgements of others. It's a juvenile and destructive trait that many people take to the grave.

Character assassination is a form of murder. A few people are wise enough and secure enough in themselves to not pay any attention to it, but it can be quite damaging to people's lives.

Many experiencers are encouraged to take a personal inventory, how can you manage the store without knowing what's in it? Gossipers are avoiding managing their own personal challenges.

Begin now with the discipline of acting on your own convictions and not reacting to the opinions of others and you will be much stronger and freer for it in the long run.

BASSPLYR's right, keep your cards close and keep them guessing. Your personal life is for you to examine, not them. If they ask something personal a good retort is - 'Why would you ask that?'

As Mae West said - Worry when they stop talking about you!

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Go and belt everybody that has ever caused you grief, and then throw a hot pie at their car.

It ALWAYS makes me feel better.

Go and vent, it is good.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join