It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Warns China

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 11:25 PM
link   
The Bush administration criticized China's record on opening its markets and said the U.S. would not hesitate to seek economic sanctions if that record does not improve.

www.cnn.com
Calling China's record "decidedly mixed," U.S. Trade Representative Susan Schwab released a 100-page report that accused the Chinese of failing to live up to commitments it made five years ago when it joined the World Trade Organization.

The annual report, which is required by Congress, said that stronger action was needed on the part of the Chinese government to crack down on widespread copyright piracy.

It said China should also work harder to eliminate government policies that unfairly discriminate in favor of Chinese companies and block U.S. exports and hinder American financial and other service companies seeking to do business in China.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I hope that this doesn't turn out to be worse than just a trading problem. They said that China is beginning to slow down on it's market liberalization efforts in the last year.

The administration is planning to use all tools available including that of bringing cases against China before the WTO if china didn't do more to lower barriers to american exports.

Why does the U.S. always have to find problems in everything? This is just going to cause more conflict between nations.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Well I'm glad to see our government is'nt completely useless when it comes to China.

Personally I have no problem with the trademark/piracy thing,
but if China is to be an open global economic power, they're
going to have to accept foreign companies.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
Well I'm glad to see our government is'nt completely useless when it comes to China.

You realise that a very large portion of our exports are intellectual properties, we can't just allow someone to steal all that money without atleast making an attempt to stop and slow the piracy down. I am glad to see the government taking a stance on china. I for one think we should start pulling out of china and ban them from the WTO because they are not going to soften up on this. THey think that they should be able to take with out giving anything back.

[edit on 12/12/2006 by JackJuice]

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Not only that but didn't some former Chinese scientist get caught for stealing some important technology?

We can't be letting anyone in the WTO get away with any of this kind of thing. IMO

It's nice to see the U.S. finally standing up to other countries.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   
My views on the relations that Washington has with China is not a good one.

How can we turn our backs on Cuba and go to bed with China beats the hell out of me!

Hey! I know they're both commie nations but isn't fair suppose to be fair?

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Intel

What does Washington have to do with anything?

This isn't just about Washington and China it's about the U.S. and China.

We also aren't turning our backs to Cuba, we have a lock on every single country on the earth. U.S. is dominant to all other countries, and no one can stop them.

We have the strongest military in the world and everyone is afraid of us.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   
China needs to stop being a hypocritical child and abide by the rules of the free market. They get pissy when the Eu tries and blocks all the cheap influx of shoes into Europe and threatens them with WTO action, yet they are unfair to foreign companies and undervalue their currency and block exports.

Need I even mention all the often stolen tech they have used from other countries (namely the US) over the years?

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Retiniod I agree with you but how is China being hypocritical?

China is abiding by the rules of the free market it just said that they are only need to slow down on the piracy.

Could you provide more info about the influx of imported shoes to the Eu?

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1Crisis
Why does the U.S. always have to find problems in everything? This is just going to cause more conflict between nations.

Well, another thread begins with the assumption that it's America's fault!
Let's see here... this is hardly America's fault. If you had the ability to DENY instead of EMBRACING ignorance you would understadn EXACTLY what this article is saying and EXACTLY what the United States is complaining about - legitimately I should add.

In an effort to aid you in the denial of Ignorance I shall undertake the effort of enlightening you on a few things. For starters, let us first review what is called the TRADE DEFICIT. This handy little site will show you the actual trade deficit with China for the past several years, since their entrance into the World Trade Organization (Hence forth called the WTO).

A trade DEFICIT denotes the difference in export/import with China. A surplus would indicate that we EXPORT MORE than we import. A deficit indicates that we import more than we export. To wit, in 1986 we had a $1.6B dollar trade deficit with China. Today we have nearly $200B trade deficit with China! That's nealry 2000% increase in only 20 years! Not good! Although we are estimated to experience a 4.2% reduction over the 2005 FY, that is relative and does not even begin to dent the deficit that China enjoys with the US. In fact, at this time last year this Forbes Magazine article predicted a continued rise in the deficit with China and outlined a number of reasons why it was likely to continue to climb.

This State Department Document explains WHY this trade deficit is a bad thing for the U.S. and what it will ultimately mean to the U.S. if we allow it to continue.

Many people contend that this issue would dry up and blow away if China would simply stop valuating it's yuan currency against the dollar. However, this article from the Institute of International Economics discusses why this might help but would not solve the problem.

In short, there a number of practices that China is engaged in that are in violation of WTO standards and practices. In recognition that China is a rapidly growing economy and are only recently entering modern global econmics, the U.S. has been very patient and lax in pushing China to do it's part to curb these practices. However, China continues to drag it's feet to the peril of workers here in the U.S.

I applaud our government for finally doing what is right and attempting to level the playing field with China! Your assesment of the situation is ill-informed and belies your true feelings for the United States. If you are a citizen of the U.S. you should seriously consider moving to another country. If you are a citizen of some other country, you would do well to educate yourself on the facts and subtle nuances of world trade prior to automatically blaming the United States for something that it has very little unilateral control over!

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by CallonMe
Retiniod I agree with you but how is China being hypocritical?

Because they are not participating like the rest of the WTO countries and would be the first to complain if others weren't.

China is abiding by the rules of the free market it just said that they are only need to slow down on the piracy.

It didn't only say that, it also said that it should open its markets more to foreign investors and give just as much acess to foreign companies as it does to Chinese companies.

Could you provide more info about the influx of imported shoes to the Eu?

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by CallonMe
Intel

What does Washington have to do with anything?

This isn't just about Washington and China it's about the U.S. and China.

We also aren't turning our backs to Cuba, we have a lock on every single country on the earth. U.S. is dominant to all other countries, and no one can stop them.

We have the strongest military in the world and everyone is afraid of us.

Washington D.C. is our capitol, and therefore the representative
of the U.S., it's common to use the capitols of countries to refer
to talks and economic things.

We have no such power over the planet, we may be the most
powerful right now, but there are other entites that are almost
as powerful, and in the near future, we will be surpassed both economicaly and militarily.

And no country is afraid of us, they may hate us, but we are
hardly feared.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Everyone is afraid of the USA? Hold on, explain to me then how come all the people I see on the medias, burning US flags and protesting arent running, filled with Fear toward the big bad american war machine?

They sure as hell don't seem afraid of seeing assault forces rounding them up

And like iori_komei said, it's like when they were saying there was negotiations between Washington and Moscow during the cold war, of course they meant between the USA and USSR, it's just a common way of speaking

On topic: Indeed, China is practicing a form of Dumping and it is Good that a country stands up against it. I don't believe the US is the guilty one in this case. China is not playing fairly in the world business

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Very nice response Kozmo, way to make somebody hate you.

I am a citizen of the U.S. and I asked 1 simple question which you decided to take upon yourself and completely insult me.

What I meant was that the U.S. needs to be more lienant.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
Well, another thread begins with the assumption that it's America's fault!

No where did he say or assume that anything was Americas fault.

I applaud our government for finally doing what is right and attempting to level the playing field with China! Your assesment of the situation is ill-informed and belies your true feelings for the United States. If you are a citizen of the U.S. you should seriously consider moving to another country. If you are a citizen of some other country, you would do well to educate yourself on the facts and subtle nuances of world trade prior to automatically blaming the United States for something that it has very little unilateral control over!

First off, if you actually get your head out of your ass, and
decide to only pay attention to one thing, you would see that
Crisis also said that this was a good thing.

[edit on 12/12/2006 by iori_komei]

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by JackJuice

Originally posted by iori_komei

You realise that a very large portion of our exports are intellectual properties, we can't just allow someone to steal all that money without atleast making an attempt to stop and slow the piracy down. I am glad to see the government taking a stance on china. I for one think we should start pulling out of china and ban them from the WTO because they are not going to soften up on this. THey think that they should be able to take with out giving anything back.

[edit on 12/12/2006 by JackJuice]

Please tell me when the US figures out how to crack that nut please.

And by that I mean Piracy in it's own country.

[edit on 12-12-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Intellectual property is not just high-tech and science. All the brand names are patented and considered intellectual property. China has virtually hijacked the markets with counterfeit goods.

And, increasingly, China is becoming a production and export base for counterfeit goods, as homegrown crime networks build up their own international distribution channels. Last year, almost 70 percent of counterfeit goods seized were made in China, according to U.S. Customs figures.
www.npr.org...

Their economy is booming with all the manufacturing and it appears they're not above bootlegging goods. Which is probably the real reason international financier's are complaining.

Now that they've sent all the manufacturing there, they want them to play by their rules.

[edit on 12-12-2006 by clearwater]

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Its about damn time! Good for washington. About time they stopped sitting on there hands.

We should start doing more business with India and start to faze china out. Communist nations such as china want one thing and one thing only. Thats world domination. There goal is to spread communism. Clinton was a moron for pushing for china to be in the WTO in the first place. He was looking out for corporate america.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfoo
Its about damn time! Good for washington. About time they stopped sitting on there hands.

We should start doing more business with India and start to faze china out. Communist nations such as china want one thing and one thing only. Thats world domination. There goal is to spread communism. Clinton was a moron for pushing for china to be in the WTO in the first place. He was looking out for corporate america.

China, nor any nation past or present is not a communist
country.
True communism has never existed.

China is a Maoist/Lennonist country with an economic system
that is becoming capitalistic.

China's goal is to be powerful, and be able to tell others
what to do, but it's certainly not to spread communism.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Their goal is to spread communism? Big Deal for a country that has been liberalising it's economy for the last years

with their 1.5 billion pop and a consequent army they could probably steamroll a good part of southeast asia

Every nation's goal is to consolidate it's position

Since now, even Russia is in the WTO, I can't guess why China shouldn't have been allowed a place in the WTO?

They say they are the new dominant growing economy, I say that pretty much justify a place on the WTO board Clinton probably didnt have to push much the chinese

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianGlasnost
with their 1.5 billion pop and a consequent army they could probably steamroll a good part of southeast asia

Actually it's 1.3 billion, we don't need to give them two-hundred
million more people than they already have.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join