It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

transfer files from one computer to another

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Ok this is getting really frustrating, why is it not simple to just transfer files from one computer to another.

Ok anyway i just got a new computer...dell...

I connected both of my computers to the internet wit hmy router and ethernet cable. They are both internet ready, i need to transfer a file about 9.6 gigs which contain various folders that i needed from my old computer to my new one. How do i do this through my ethernet and router connection.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 08:15 PM
link   
You have to set up a network, me and my friend do it allot to share files.

heres a link to a site that should be some help on how to set one up.
www.intel.com...

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Ahh finally, dell and windows xp programs always give you a technical bull about how to set up stuff like this that only it proffesionals can understand. Lol or maybe its just me, anyway thanks for the site, you saved me a bunch of trips with the flash drive.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   
The network is a good idea, I have a much simpler idea, if you don't mind opening up both computers.

Just take the HD out of your old rig and make it a slave on your new rig and boot.

Your new rig will find the old HD and install it, this may require another reboot.

Once this is done, you can just transfer the files/folders from one harddrive to another using a drag and drop or copy methods.

Hope this helps.

[edit on 12/12/2006 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
The network is a good idea, I have a much simpler idea, if you don't mind opening up both computers....
Once this is done, you can just transfer the files/folders from one harddrive to another using a drag and drop or copy methods.

But some files will not work after transfer. For instance, I had once had several .wma files. Along with the associated license files. I copied them to the other drive, and Voila! they refused to work on the second drive.

Wonderful M$ and copy "protection"

The license files were included, but it would'nt recognize them?

Anyway, those files have been long forgotten. Just wanted to make a note of it here, though.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   
you could also use a usb-usb bridge cable. www.newegg.com... Simple and easy. (it was a quick serach on newegg. I dunno if they have others or what)

[edit on 12-12-2006 by DemonicAngelZero]

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
You could try making a ghost image of your harddrive files onto the new harddrive.

Ghost and programs like it make an exact copy of files, it can make a bootable copy of most harddrives.

Do you keep your licences with the music?.

I have heard M$ licences don't transfer from machine to machine

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Yes, the license files were with the music files.

But I have learned from that little mistake, and don't use M$ multimedia compression anymore. Either .wma, or .wmv

And ghosting the harddrive doesn't work, for some things as well.

Last year, I purchased a bigger harddrive for my previous computer. I used Seagates disk, for cloning the old drive to the new one.

Guess what?? Adobe Photoshop would'nt work after that. It only allows I think 3 seperate installs. And since I had that on my notebook, and had installed it on two seperate occasions on my old harddrive, the cloned one would not work. (some funky things happening, caused me to do a fresh Windows install)

So I had to reinstall the old drive, and log on to Adobes site, and go through this license change thing. ( I forget what they called it)

I uploaded the license info from the old drive, then downloaded to the new one.

What a mess!

So now, everytime I think about upgrading my HD, I have a lot of things to think over first.

Sorry for straying from the intended topic here, with my gripe.

[edit on 12/12/2006 by Mechanic 32]

[edit on 12/12/2006 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 06:31 PM
link   
If both are connected via ethernet cables to the same router, it should just be a case of making sure making sure the the files are in a shared folder on the source computer,and that file-sharing is allowed via the windows firewall. The source computer's files should then be visible in the "network places" tree on the other machine..

or am i missing something?

to be honest it's been a while since I used a PC. I've been 100% Mac now for a while and stuff like this is easy. I haven't had to re-install anything or do any "maintenance" for years... they just work.

[edit on 12-12-2006 by nowthenlookhere]

top topics

join