It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who has Read the Bible?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
I will posit a psychological theory why some people "Accept" the Bible and why some "Reject" the Bible.

Those that "Accept" the Bible appreciate Life as it is and search for the best out of the worst of situations. The glass is half-full. These people "Accept" the flaws of others because they realize that they themselves have flaws. A deep respect for greater powers is shown. These people try to "Accept" all because they realize that all are part of God's creation and that they should love all.

Those that "Reject" the Bible show appreciation of Life less frequently. They frequently dwell on the worst of situations and rarely see the good. The glass is half-empty. They frequently think of themselves as "genius" for "Rejecting" all of prior creation. Nothing is ever good enough. They have little respect for greater powers. Their minds tend to "Reject" others and in the end they "Reject" themselves as well.

Well said greatTech.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   

I will posit a psychological theory why some people "Accept" the Bible and why some "Reject" the Bible.

Those that "Accept" the Bible appreciate Life as it is and search for the best out of the worst of situations. The glass is half-full. These people "Accept" the flaws of others because they realize that they themselves have flaws. A deep respect for greater powers is shown. These people try to "Accept" all because they realize that all are part of God's creation and that they should love all.

Those that "Reject" the Bible show appreciation of Life less frequently. They frequently dwell on the worst of situations and rarely see the good. The glass is half-empty. They frequently think of themselves as "genius" for "Rejecting" all of prior creation. Nothing is ever good enough. They have little respect for greater powers. Their minds tend to "Reject" others and in the end they "Reject" themselves as well.

But strangely enough, the least religious states and countries see the lowest levels of social dysfunction. Interesting eh?

Pressing questions include the reasons, whether theistic or non-theistic, that the exceptionally wealthy U.S. is so inefficient that it is experiencing a much higher degree of societal distress than are less religious, less wealthy prosperous democracies. Conversely, how do the latter achieve superior societal health while having little in the way of the religious values or institutions? There is evidence that within the U.S. strong disparities in religious belief versus acceptance of evolution are correlated with similarly varying rates of societal dysfunction, the strongly theistic, anti-evolution south and mid-west having markedly worse homicide, mortality, STD, youth pregnancy, marital and related problems than the northeast where societal conditions, secularization, and acceptance of evolution approach European norms (Aral and Holmes; Beeghley, Doyle, 2002)

moses.creighton.edu...

All that optimism and deep respect for powers above doesn't seem to lead to more constructive social conditions...

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowflake_obsidian
Here is my "theory".

Spirituality and appreciation for life doesn't come from a book.
It comes from your heart and soul. If you personally find it in the bible, then that is great for you and I am happy for you. However, there are many other people who find the same things elsewhere.

What are your two favorite days of each year? Mine are Christmas and Easter. Do you know that Christmas and Easter might not exist without the Bible?

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by melatonin

But strangely enough, the least religious states and countries see the lowest levels of social dysfunction. Interesting eh?

All that optimism and deep respect for powers above doesn't seem to lead to more constructive social conditions...

melatonin, do you believe that Charles Darwin or God created the Universe? If the USA lost its Christian foundation, it would collapse. 9/11/2001 would just be a drop in the bucket.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   

melatonin, do you believe that Charles Darwin or God created the Universe? If the USA lost its Christian foundation, it would collapse. 9/11/2001 would just be a drop in the bucket.

Well, you never really answered the point I made, but I doubt it was Darwin as he existed about 14 billion years after the beginnings of this universe. As for the notion of a god doing the creation, I don't really know, I see no reason for the need of a creator but I can't claim to know for certain.

The christian foundation would always exist but maybe more secularisation may reduce the social ills you seem to have. I didn't think the US was anywhere near collapse at 9/11.

[edit on 13-12-2006 by melatonin]

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   

alright...
just stop right there
many people claim that i'm the most upbeat person they know

i reject the bible because it oversimplifies and trivializes the beautiful processees that formed life and the universe

i find more often that i find the glass as there, instead of dwelling on the amount of liquid inside of it

i have no respect for WHAT greater powers?
people superior to me in a given academic field? because i have great reverence for experts
or do you mean DIETY related greater powers?

i appreciate life because i realize exactly how precious it is, how incredibly unlikely it was for us to get to this point
i also appreciate the dicotomy between the insignificance of our place in the universe and how incredibly grand our world seems

the world is full of wonders to me, with or without some collection of ancient texts

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 11:04 PM
link   

i reject the bible because it oversimplifies and trivializes the beautiful processees that formed life and the universe

Are you sure that's the reason? i think it's more of a fear of the truth.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   

What are your two favorite days of each year? Mine are Christmas and Easter. Do you know that Christmas and Easter might not exist without the Bible?

If Christmas and Easter didn't exist it wouldn't be a big deal to me. My two favorite days are whichever days of the year happen to be a good day for me.

But like I said, if you enjoy those two days because of your beliefs, then I am very happy for you. I find my love for life and humanity in other ways.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone

alright, ignore the rest of my relatively long post and then make a baseless assertion about a person you do not know

and, since when has a theist had the right to call an atheist a person who fears truth?

i accept a truth that is far too uncomfortable for you to understand
the truth that there are no dieties, not a single one

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Originally posted by thehumbleone

alright, ignore the rest of my relatively long post and then make a baseless assertion about a person you do not know

and, since when has a theist had the right to call an atheist a person who fears truth?

i accept a truth that is far too uncomfortable for you to understand
the truth that there are no dieties, not a single one

Where's the proof for this "Truth?"

You're only speculating.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Wrong. They wouldn't exist with both:

A) Pagan religious seasons

AND

B) Capitalism

In fact, there are NO truly "Christian" holidays. Even Christmas itself was a derivation of the Mithras season, if not the Pagan season Yule (which "ironically" trees were the main decoration).

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 09:56 PM
link   
too the origional topic

I have read the bible in its entirely from front to back many times, more than I can count. I have read the new testiment more as it is our laws to follow. the bible is the word of god. knowing god world is a continual study. You must always read scripure. too understand God world you must have a personal relationship with him. You must talk to God, and he must talk to you. For you to talk to him, you must pray. For him to talk to you you must read. I started by reading scripure ever day. at least a chapter a day.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   

And where to you get that gross generalization? In my experience, Christians are no happier than non-Christians. I really dislike the idea that believing a religion will make you a happy person...it's so misguided. Accepting a lie for the means of making your life easier distorts what "living" is. I'm sorry, but I won't perpetuate a lie just because it makes my life easier...I'm not that selfish.

Originally posted by slymattb

I have read the bible in its entirely from front to back many times, more than I can count. I have read the new testiment more as it is our laws to follow. the bible is the word of god. knowing god world is a continual study. You must always read scripure. too understand God world you must have a personal relationship with him. You must talk to God, and he must talk to you. For you to talk to him, you must pray. For him to talk to you you must read. I started by reading scripure ever day. at least a chapter a day.

This is where the Bible becomes dangerous; when the philosophical suggestions of the book become "musts" and "necessary". True, the book can help one with solving the questions of life, but there is no necessity to the thing.

[edit on 2-2-2007 by iceofspades]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by iceofspades

Wrong. They wouldn't exist with both:

A) Pagan religious seasons

AND

B) Capitalism

In fact, there are NO truly "Christian" holidays. Even Christmas itself was a derivation of the Mithras season, if not the Pagan season Yule (which "ironically" trees were the main decoration).

QFT

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Here is the problem I have. The original question was something like, "Have you read the Bible."

I must ask, "Which one?"

Bible is a word meaning book. I have read many books. A few Christians assume that the Christian Bible is the only sacred text that exists - and to those Christians, that may be true. It is not, however, true for everyone. I simply dislike such assumptions.

I have read the Christian Bible straight through, I have read it in chronological order, and I have read and studied a great many parts of it besides. I think it is wonderful if you find inspiration in it. I found a few parts to be inspirational to me in fact. However, if I really believed all of it, I would have to become a Satanist.

I am currently studying my Unitarian Universalist Bible and while some people would find it to be utter hogwash, I find "truth" and inspiration in it. I have read it too many times to count.

I have also read, at least in part, the sacred texts (Bibles) of many other faiths as well. I always find something in them that I can embrace - something that enriches my life or inspires me.

Now I must simply address the "theory" that only the pessimistic or fearful would reject the (Christian) Bible. I am fairly optimistic about most of life and there is little fear in me. I refuse to worship a GOD that would want me to be afraid - heck, I refuse to even lock my doors when I leave the house. I refuse to let fear or pessimism have a hold in my life. In fact, they are against my religion and it is my duty to exorcise them from my life to the greatest extent possible.

From my Bible:

Whatever your labours and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.
In spite of drudgery or broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. ME 15-16

As there is no screen or ceiling between our heads and the infinite heavens, so there is no bar or wall in the soul where we cease and GOD begins. We are One and the Highest dwells within us. Knowing this, what could ever cause you to fear? RWE 3:1-2

May we all find inspiration regardless of what "Bible" we have read.

Peace,
wwn

Edited spelling as usual

[edit on 2/2/07 by wellwhatnow]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
WORDS are amazing..

Religion is BS...

Anyone who rallies themselves together under mere words, and allows themselves to be taken away in thought to another "false" reality is a fool.
Sheltering children, or handicapped people.
or women, or the uneducated.
These are all degrading mentalities.
Lies and secrets have accumulated in the hopes to shelter or protect or manipulate the young, uneducated and handicapped people.
This BS has to stop.
Believing in the bible.. listen to yourselves...
We are humans, conscious of ourselves for whatever reason, quite unique and we've toiled and listened to some dorks trying to explain where they think this consciousness came from and its marvelous impact, life-span, and it's agenda. Ignorant humans have mislead people for centuries ... of course these lessons and the things they say sound sweet, because they came from within those people, great inner observations, we envy their ability to perceive their own actions. We look towards these "great" people because they embody what we wish we were actually doing, or had the ability to accomplish, but the only "Great" feat they accomplished was knowing themselves intricately.
Religion is a stupid way to control people who actually want to change and do something... its like a giant net that catches those people who seriously want a peaceful habitation.
I have come to understand some amazing things thanks to this website, but now I am starting to see the impact of certain words on the global populations, everything has been re-written thus far, but only to a certain extent. I want people to realize its fine to study religions but picking ONE is a stupid stupid shift in understanding and development.
Believe in yourself, and let that kindle your fire, the reason for the older mystics and prophets and scriptures and everything was to enable us to believe in ourselves, look at the CRAP that people have carried out in those amazing peoples names, that should be enough to show you that nothing you've already done is worthy of you condemning yourself against any GODS or KARMA, I say to hell with that crap. The only reason those things work is because you've been locked into thinking those cruddy decisions were what makes you, YOU. But thats a fallacy the truth is, if you let those things go, and grow from them, than you'll be capable of GREAT things, when you LET GO of the past, because nothing you've ever done, or thought of doing is NEW, its all been done before, and if those people were apparently forgiven in death, why can't you be forgiven in life?! MOVE ON, MOVE UP... This is YOUR WORLD, make it an AMAZING PLACE, stop reading books to learn, take what you've already heard and apply it, look for its truth, if you've never read anything, than start, and let the words move you to changing your habits and perceptions of the world.

When the "spirit" of real PEOPLE with a REAL agenda to bring PEACE come, Real change will spread like fire, and these religious factions will tremble at the real power of PEACE. Even with all their money and influence.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Yes my friend i agree

the peace will be a bigger blast than any world war

and yet i cannot cease carrying my bible in my purse every where i go...more like a battery these days unless i forget the verse #.

my only ammo but i'm winning the battle just like all of us

the PEN is mightier than the sword
in the living hands of enoch the many-times-dead samurai returned to take the spoils (whatever THAT means)!

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   
The Christain bible sits on my Pagan alter. It has great wisdom and power in it, we can all learn from the bible.

To use it as a tool for trying to tear down others beliefs is contrary to why it was originally written. All spiritual beliiefs are valid just a different lanuage if you will.

I used to be a church consultant before I was a firefighter. I have sat down and talked to thousands of pastors and priests. I have been to thousands of churches. They all have one major problem. They all believe they are right and anything contrary to that is wrong.

Thay all missed the boat.

Love one another and follow the path that has been given to you. And most of all harm none.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
i appreciate life because i realize exactly how precious it is, how incredibly unlikely it was for us to get to this point
i also appreciate the dicotomy between the insignificance of our place in the universe and how incredibly grand our world seems

the world is full of wonders to me, with or without some collection of ancient texts

How're the headaches madnessinmysoul? Getting better or worse?

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by wellwhatnow
Here is the problem I have. The original question was something like, "Have you read the Bible."

I must ask, "Which one?"

like 'i'm getting my hair cut?' 'which one?'

However, if I really believed all of it, I would have to become a Satanist.

What's in a name? I have wondered, myself, why LeVey didn't use the canon.

I am currently studying my Unitarian Universalist Bible and while some people would find it to be utter hogwash, I find "truth" and inspiration in it. I have read it too many times to count.

Wow - i didn't have any idea there was a different bible that you read. I had seen you cite 'me' but i thought it was your own wisdom and so 'me' was 'you.'
Is there an online source of information i could look at? or if not, where can i find one?

I have also read, at least in part, the sacred texts (Bibles) of many other faiths as well. I always find something in them that I can embrace - something that enriches my life or inspires me.

I agree; to me 'words' are all living and books are magical things in any genre - even nonfiction because there is a whole new skill or such in them.

I think that 'The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe' is one of the most beautiful yet simple variations on the theme of noble sacrifice for friends and love - something all kids can learn from and apply without going into the christian twist on the idea which i don't think is healthy. But the story C.S. Lewis tells is something that applies to humanity and leaves an impression on any mind that is positive, IMO.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join