It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who has Read the Bible?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Partly or in its entirety? I read the New American Bible in its entirety 9 years ago.

Were you a believer in God, an agnostic, or atheist when you read it? I was a believer in God; in fact, He instructed me to read it.

Has Bible reading helped your life or hurt it? It has greatly helped me after a period of instability.

Has Bible reading increased your belief in God or decreased it? It has supplemented my extremely strong belief in God.

Who authored the Bible? I believe miraculously and divinely inspired human beings, with God as the Ultimate Source.

Do you plan to read the Bible in the future? Yes, I read passages every morning.

Do you ever share Biblical passages with others? Yes, but not as often as I should. I am working on it.

God Bless and may the Bible Inspire You!!!

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I have not read the bible in it's entirety, but I think i have pretty much read most of the New Testament, and some from the Old.

It has helped strengthen my faith.

I always read it every night before I go to bed.

[edit on 11-12-2006 by thehumbleone]

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   
i've read the bible in its entirety twice
the first was the nkjv
then i read the new american

first time i read it i was a highly devout christian
the second time i read it i was agnostic
after the second i became an atheist

reading the bible helped me, it got me out of theistic belief for good

reading the bible decreased my belief, first to almost zero (i only left a possibility for the existence), the second wiped the rest away

who authored the bible? a bunch of random people over the course of hundreds of years, no diety was involved in the creation

do i plan on reading it in the future? well, yes, in parts, simply because i'll have to if i'm arguing with people quoting it on ATS

do i share passages? yes, only the ones i find most comical

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Ive read the bible that seems to be in all hotel rooms, its like the exact same one for every single hotel, I weant traveling accross north america last summer and ended up reading it all, still dont beleive in any of it, probably less now actualy.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I went to a Church of England school so i have read it numerous times.

it helped me recapture my faith cause during my early teens because i became very, well, "rebel like" back then.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Ive read it in parts starting from the old testament events. Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus. Ive read the captivity in babylon and the prophecies of jeremiah and Isaiah. I have also read parts of ezekiel.

In the new testament I have read or heard the gospels of Mark, Luke, Matthew and John. Acts and revelations.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I have read the collection of Fables most commonly refered to as The Bible at least twice. It has changed at least twice in my lifetime (50years).

Is it a/n inspired work?
Without doubt. The question is the source of the inspiration. Was it wine? mushrooms? heat stroke? Demonic possesion? Lack of nookie? Who knows.

I find it of less import than the Vedas, The stories of Gilgamesh, or the Sagas
of the Norsemen.

Fact. Only one of the

Gospels
can be closely attributed to
a person evenly closely identified with the named author, That being The Gospel of John. Yet nowhere in this writing does the author identify themselves as

John
. The Author simply identifies themselves as

The Beloved
. This ( depending on your interpretation) could be Lazarus ( who IS identified in several places as He Whom Jeshua Loved(( could this be an illusion to an homosexual relationship?)). )
Mary called Magdalene refered to as R.Jeshua\'s Spouse, Wife, Companion,
or Johanna also referenced as a companion of Jeshua and Mary Magdalene.

As I recall all of the followers of R. Jeshua named John wanted something from him. I also find it instructive that in modern parlance when going to
relieve oneself , it is common to reference

going to the JOHN

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   
How dare you even suggest that Jesus Christ would be involved in a homosexual relationship? That is blasphemy and to even imagine such a thing would cause me to shake in fear. You should thank God for his mercy in even allowing you to live to repent of this grievous statement you have made against Him.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by southern_cross3
How dare you even suggest that Jesus Christ would be involved in a homosexual relationship? That is blasphemy and to even imagine such a thing would cause me to shake in fear. You should thank God for his mercy in even allowing you to live to repent of this grievous statement you have made against Him.

how dare SOMEONE question your belief?

HOW DARE YOU have a belief that holds that good people will suffer for eternity because they refuse to accept your view of the universe

hell, there is 0 case for the existence of a historical figure known as jesus called christ

and how do you know jesus WASN'T a homosexual?
he could have been a celibate homosexual, for all you know

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Originally posted by southern_cross3

how dare SOMEONE question your belief?

HOW DARE YOU have a belief that holds that good people will suffer for eternity because they refuse to accept your view of the universe

hell, there is 0 case for the existence of a historical figure known as jesus called christ

and how do you know jesus WASN'T a homosexual?
he could have been a celibate homosexual, for all you know

There is not one person who is truly good, can you name one person besides Jesus who has NEVER broken one of the ten commandments? The bible says we must be perfect in order to get to heaven, and since that is not possible, there is only one other way, believe in the one who is perfect.

I think to suggest that Christ didn't exist would make Christianity even more of a miracle than if he did, don't you agree?

You are making Christianity into an even a greater miracle than if you just admit he existed.

I mean, just imagine it, people dying and sacrificing their lives, even the apostles who spread the word, for a Lie? Nah, it can't be. I once heard this somewhere, "people will die for what they believe to be true, even if it is a lie, but NOBODY will die for what they know to be a lie."

I don't get why so many people don't want him to exist, is it because they don't want what he taught to be true?

They have no way to explain what he did other that his miracles must have been true?

Or they just don't have an ear for the truth?

Jesus said not everyone has an ear for the truth, that is why you find him saying many times "Listen then, if you have an ear"

But you want to know how I know he existed? Because he has always existed, that's how I know.

He was here before the creation of the world.

[edit on 13-12-2006 by thehumbleone]

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
It is not a matter of me or my beliefs. I'm pretty insignificant.

You are suggesting that the Son of a perfect God, who created the universe, and who holds homosexuality to be a crime against nature and a perverse sin, might have been homosexual himself. Whether you believe in God or not, he still exists. Whether you believe homosexuality is right or wrong, it is still wrong. Supporting this kind of idea is blasphemy against God himself, who is very real, and who will judge anyone who supports such heresy without mercy, as he judges all sinners.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Does anybody else find it strange how people always have to attack Jesus?

You never hear them attacking, Buddah, Muhammad or Confucius.

So why Christ? if I may ask you people who enjoy attacking him.

This proves Satan is at work in this world, if you're gonna attack anybody's identity, you might as well attack the one who is the true Truth.

The one and only who came down from heaven.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I started reading the bible as a pre-teen and got really bored in the middle of Exodus. So from then on, I have only read passages that have been reccomended to me and what not. Now I don't read it at all.

I have came to the conclusion that true spirituality comes from the heart and not from a book that has a huge possibility of being manipulated.

Which brings me to ask...
How do you really know that God is against homosexuality? Because the bible says so? Are you 100% sure that someone didn't add that in there just because they were personally against homosexuality? There is no way of really knowing.

There are some things in the bible I find truthful. Such as the golden rule. That's just common sense though really.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
Does anybody else find it strange how people always have to attack Jesus?

You never hear them attacking, Buddah, Muhammad or Confucius.

So why Christ? if I may ask you people who enjoy attacking him.

This proves Satan is at work in this world, if you're gonna attack anybody's identity, you might as well attack the one who is the true Truth.

The one and only who came down from heaven.

ACTUALLY, muhammad is attacked quite a bit on ATS

but the group you presented has something that jesus doesn't
contemporary writings confirming their existence

not so for jesus
i don't enjoy attacking jesus, he's just the most brought up religious figure
and he just happens to have 0 evidence to support his existence

and are you claiming that i'm working for satan?
or that satan is working through me?

because i'm against all organized religions (well, some sects of buddhism are fine because they are non-theistic, but that's an exception)

i happen to live in america, where christianity is the most prominant religion
so i attack christianity
it's simple and logical to do so in this country

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
what are you talking about, there is even less evidence of Confucius existence, he never wrote anything down, and it is believed his sayings were written many years after his death.

And all the supposed "biographies" of Muhammad were written well over a century after he died.

[edit on 13-12-2006 by thehumbleone]

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I have never read it myself but i know approximatly what it tells

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I doubt that.

There's actually a conspiracy theory that Confucius was Jesus in another form. I'm not sure if it's on ATS or not. Perhaps someone will get a chance to start a new thread.

As to the "how do you know homosexuality is wrong?" question, that was exhaused in the ATS Conspiracies in Religions forum. It didn't get anywhere, neither side is willing to give, and I certainly don't want to start the debate again. However, it is the standard belief of Bible-believing Protestant Christians, who fear and worship God and pray to him and read their Bibles on a daily basis, that homosexuality is wrong. I'm not going to argue all the aspects of homosexuality as to its wrongness, or rightness, but please don't attempt to validate it in terms of the Bible. That's like using a human evolution textbook to validate the creation of man.

Getting back on topic, I've read the Bible straight through a couple times, but have studied it and learned from it all my life. It's really not a good idea to read it straight through. There are plans available that can help you get through it in a year, and it hops around from one book to another. All the same, it helps you grasp the overall timeline to read it in order, at least once. If you can get through 150 chapters of Psalms, many of which are similar, you'll be all set.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
1) Partly or in its entirety?

2) Were you a believer in God, an agnostic, or atheist when you read it?

3) Has Bible reading helped your life or hurt it?

4) Has Bible reading increased your belief in God or decreased it?
Who authored the Bible?

5) Do you plan to read the Bible in the future?

6) Do you ever share Biblical passages with others?

7) God Bless and may the Bible Inspire You!!!

1) I've read the Bible three times in entirety.
2) I believed in God the second time I read it...now I don't. I'm an agnostic, and the Bible only helped cement my certainty that God cannot be conceptualized as many claim.
3) The Bible has helped my life, only for the fact that I can intelligently argue with those who have not read it.
4) The Bible has decreased my faith in God.
5) MAN authored the Bible, not God. Those who say God wrote the Bible have a serious problem with arrogance.
6) I do not plan to read it again. I've got all I need.
7) I would only ever share passages with someone if they themselves were not looking at all the contradictory passages in the Bible.

The Bible is a book written and compiled by men. Regardless of whether or not it was inspired by God, it has been manipulated and contrived to supplement the hierarchical power structures which now seem to define humans as a species. It is a malleable tool used by many if not all who wish to cement their own perceived authority over other people.

While Jesus appears to be one of the greatest people to ever live, it's ignorant and frankly un-Christian to accept the Bible as His word and not the words of those who could and evidently did create a story which fit the "prophecy" recorded in the Old Testament. What's more, the book has been translated and re-translated hundreds of times through the millenia, picking up each person's individual bias and inaccuracies.

What's even more is that the "Bible" as it's defined now is a set of works put together to complement certain ideals of patriarchy (which have clearly survived through to current times) and the divinity of Jesus. It rejected all potential works which did not follow these and other certain ideals.

The Bible is useless in terms of religious truth, basically.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I will posit a psychological theory why some people "Accept" the Bible and why some "Reject" the Bible.

Those that "Accept" the Bible appreciate Life as it is and search for the best out of the worst of situations. The glass is half-full. These people "Accept" the flaws of others because they realize that they themselves have flaws. A deep respect for greater powers is shown. These people try to "Accept" all because they realize that all are part of God's creation and that they should love all.

Those that "Reject" the Bible show appreciation of Life less frequently. They frequently dwell on the worst of situations and rarely see the good. The glass is half-empty. They frequently think of themselves as "genius" for "Rejecting" all of prior creation. Nothing is ever good enough. They have little respect for greater powers. Their minds tend to "Reject" others and in the end they "Reject" themselves as well.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
I will posit a psychological theory why some people "Accept" the Bible and why some "Reject" the Bible.

Those that "Accept" the Bible appreciate Life as it is and search for the best out of the worst of situations. The glass is half-full. These people "Accept" the flaws of others because they realize that they themselves have flaws. A deep respect for greater powers is shown. These people try to "Accept" all because they realize that all are part of God's creation and that they should love all.

Those that "Reject" the Bible show appreciation of Life less frequently. They frequently dwell on the worst of situations and rarely see the good. The glass is half-empty. They frequently think of themselves as "genius" for "Rejecting" all of prior creation. Nothing is ever good enough. They have little respect for greater powers. Their minds tend to "Reject" others and in the end they "Reject" themselves as well.

I would really like to know where you got this "psychological theory".

Here is my "theory".

Spirituality and appreciation for life doesn't come from a book.
It comes from your heart and soul. If you personally find it in the bible, then that is great for you and I am happy for you. However, there are many other people who find the same things elsewhere.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join