It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 07:05 PM
link   
How long till the human race evolves into a different type of homonoid?

And if not why than for when.

How long before it happens like it did to the neandrithals and cromagus nither are spelled corelectly.

What would happen if the human race and a new race of homonoid meet?

Which side would hate the other first? Keep in mind the new race never argued and only agreed. Nothing was hidden, and every decision supported.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Evolution is a time consuming process but there is new proof that humans have evolved in the past 3000 years.

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

While it is not as earth shattering as evolving a whole new species, it none the less indicates that we are indeed evolving. As for meeting another hominid... err where are they hiding? Unless you mean others from outer space.

[edit on 11-12-2006 by Terapin]

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I don't believe we will dvelve into different sub-species untill we venture into space for real. As it is now, there isn't enough room for drift on this planet, when we are so many people that interact in such easy ways as we do know. There are no boundaries. The only way it really could happen, is with the small indian populations in jungles (etc.), and that should take a few hundred thousand years too..

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I don't believe if you wait long enough that hydrogen turns into people. I don't have the faith to believe it.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sun Matrix
I don't believe if you wait long enough that hydrogen turns into people. I don't have the faith to believe it.

well, you don't need faith, you need evidence
and we have many pieces of evidence from chemistry to show that incredibly rudimentary life can arise from the proper chemical stew

and we have even more evidence to show that evolution has happened and is happening

all the evidence shows that you don't need faith Sun Matrix, it's called science and the only leap of faith comes in the hypothesis stage

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sun Matrix

Thanks for the purposefully trolling statement, Sun. Hijack a different thread, thanks.

In response to the OP, humans probably won't evolve very much more unless one of two things happen. Either a) the Earth changes drastically and permanently (think global nuclear war type scenario) or b) we attain a spacefaring level of technology, allowing us to split apart far enough for humanity to have more than one distinct population.

As long as we have a world as interconnected as our currently is, any kind of evolutionary change would most likely just be "folded" back into our collective genetic pool and absorbed.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I'd add an option "C" to your list of possible evolutionary futures for the human race, Thousand: we use our knowledge of genetic and biological engineering to alter ourselves in such a way that the human race maintains several genetically distinct populations.

We already allow couples to select the sex of their child - although ostensibly this only occurs in cases where children would be the victims of sex-linked genetic disorders, I'm sure there are clinics which will, quietly and for a price, allow people to decide the gender of their children, no questions asked. We also do genetic screening of embryos for other genetic, but not sex-linked, disorders, allowing only the in-vitro embryos who pass genetic muster to be implanted. How long until we use couples' DNA to create naturally disease-free embryos - or select their child's eye or hair color, tweak their DNA to increase the odds of the child being highly intelligent, etc?

Also, do you count the use of cybernetics as being an "evolution" - and what about people who are genetically engineered to more readily accept cybernetic adaptation? We are already using cybernetics to give people injured in accidents more normal functioning of their limbs - and that is certainly a good thing! But is it an "evolution" when people use such technology to enhance already quote-unquote "normal" functioning?

Personally, I believe that any we will change ourselves beyond all our imaginations before nature has the chance to significantly change the human race. Now, whether this qualifies as "evolution" or simply the creation of a genetic/technological underclass is a matter of semantics. Eventually, however, I believe that it will lead to new species of humans - perhaps even within my lifetime.

[edit on 18-12-2006 by PhloydPhan]

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhloydPhan
I'd add an option "C" to your list of possible evolutionary futures for the human race, Thousand: we use our knowledge of genetic and biological engineering to alter ourselves in such a way that the human race maintains several genetically distinct populations.

When I spoke of further evolution, I meant pure, natural, biological evolution only. I do assume your points to be truth as well, and I wholeheartedly agree with them. We're already using science to push our species in the direction we see as fit - though not natural, this does fit the bill as evolution in every other sense.

Also, do you count the use of cybernetics as being an "evolution" - and what about people who are genetically engineered to more readily accept cybernetic adaptation?

That would be option "D". I personally favor this as our future simply because I have little trust in genetic manipulation - there are far too many unknowns as of yet to just dive in and start altering ourselves at such a base level. I have a feeling that we will one day build our own successors. I just hope they'll respect our place alongside them, given we choose to keep existing.

[edit on 21/12/2006 by Thousand]

top topics

join