It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Proof of Recent Human Evolution

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Link

www.nature.com...

Recent research has given proof of Human evolution as recent as 3000 years ago. The research was done regarding Human Lactose Intolerance and in addition to demonstrating an adaptation in East African peoples it also demonstrates Convergent Evolution.

I discussed this with a Christian friend and their comment was that it "wasn't proof of Evolution, it was just people Adapting over time"(ie. Generations). As we all know, Adaptation over Time is indeed a definition of Evolution. This may be the smoking gun that finally offers recent proof to the nay sayers.

Take a look at the NY times article posted above for the details and give us your thoughts.

[edit on 11-12-2006 by Terapin]

Edit to fix long link.

[edit on 17-12-2006 by mrwupy]

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 06:06 AM
link   
We mutate all the time. This is just proof of the largest documented 'major' mutation known of.

Pretty nice anyway..

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Quite a problem they are having with their dates. Maybe an expert should be consulted.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sun Matrix
Quite a problem they are having with their dates. Maybe an expert should be consulted.

yeah, we'll ask a theologian rather than a genticist, he can consult the magic books and tell us...

cheers for the links terapin

[edit on 16-12-2006 by melatonin]

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by melatonin

yeah, we'll ask a theologian rather than a genticist, he can consult the magic books and tell us...

cheers for the links terapin

I am unaware of these magic books. I do know of a book of facts that might help.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch

We mutate all the time. This is just proof of the largest documented
'major' mutation...

Very true.

...Wish I had more time. The new research about gene "copies" seems to
highlight the "instantaneousness" of the evolutionary process.

Worth looking into further. imo

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Small mutations taking place overtime is defined as evolution. Take a basic anthro 101 class and you'll know it's real.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I am unaware of these magic books. I do know of a book of facts that might help.

Maybe you can use this book of 'facts' and tell us when homo sapiens gained the ability to digest lactose...

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I suppose no one has been listening to me when I said we mutate via our thoughts? ... no one listening still? ..

I said that's where aliens came from.. and our other odd phenomenon..

there are genetic mutations out there, with not only a pre-frontal cortex/pre-frontal lobe ... but other 'additions' to the brain.. making them different creatures... there are already different creatures living all around us.. in the house next door maybe.. it all depends on the brain, how it functions and its structure... What do you want to be?

[edit on 12/17/2006 by PuRe EnErGy]

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by melatonin

Maybe you can use this book of 'facts' and tell us when homo sapiens gained the ability to digest lactose...

Personally don't see any big deal...........why are some people alergic to dust?????????????????/

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
This is a great post and link. But how does this prove macro evolution?

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by thexsword
This is a great post and link. But how does this prove macro evolution?

I don't think the OP suggested it did.

But I think it adds support to the evidence of new mutations in the recent history of homo sapiens.

Macroevolution requires the production of new features via novel mutations. Here is evidence of one.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Evolution exists, just not in the "OMFG WE CAME FROM MONKIES!" approach.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Im not trying to derail the thread here, but you posted that somewhere else, I remember. I tried once to google it to find something about it, but no luck.

What do you mean exactly? Is it something to do with a lot of people being lactose intolerant?
I would really like to learn more about this though. Its pretty interesting.

_I meant to quote melatonin's post, sry

[edit on 28-12-2006 by DjNothing]

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   
People do obviously evolve. I can't find an online article right now - but maybe one of you can -

I had my son almost 11 years ago. The big news in 1996 was that people should stop using baby cribs that were being passed down through the family. It seems that baby cribs that were safe 50 or 60 years ago were no longer safe to use in the 90s. The reason was that babies heads were found to be significantly smaller in the 90s than they had been just a few generations ago. The slats on older cribs were far enough apart that babies in the 90s could get their heads stuck between them.

This wasn't just an issue of new crib safety standards being issued, it was a medically documented change in humans.

I know I didn't imagine it. Does anyone else remember this?

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Many people are lactose intolerant. That means that as adults they loose the ability to digest milk. This makes sense since for the most part in the natural world the only time you get milk is as a child when nursing from your mother. In the modern world milk from cows is easy to find and here is where being lactose intolerant becomes a problem.

This particular study was of an African tribe that as a regular diet for many centuries, had been drinking cows milk on through adult life. Their ability to digest milk as adults had been identified to a particular gene strand and the date of development of that strand can be determined to a very close date. Thus they were able to demonstrate when there was an advantageous gene mutation that gave them the ability to digest milk in adulthood. Advantageous evolution.

Regarding evolving from monkeys:....No one ever said that man evolved from chimpanzees. We did however evolve from a common ancestor.

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I wasn't accusing anyone of saying that. I was simply pointing out ahead of time that we didn't come from monkies before anyone started that up. I said evolution exists, just not in THAT sense.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnstoppableForce
I wasn't accusing anyone of saying that. I was simply pointing out ahead of time that we didn't come from monkies before anyone started that up. I said evolution exists, just not in THAT sense.

No one ever said humans come from monkeys, but yes, homo sapiens and monkeys have a common ancestor

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
And the 'common ancestor' was less 'evolved' than a monkey? That makes it so much better then!

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by HimWhoHathAnEar
And the 'common ancestor' was less 'evolved' than a monkey? That makes it so much better then!

It's not about better or worse, it's not about what makes you feel good, it is about what the evidence suggests.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join