It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soylent Green. Just a movie or a prediction of the future?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   
It is an envoirenmental farce, ie the Soy-Lent product takes the urine out of Soya and Lentil based veggie product's, this was the post-war baby boom and '___' and veggies flourished.

Top film, suits Charlton Heston but I agree his best is, "The Omega Man,"

Top stuff, riots happen and poulation reduction gets equated with recycled food made from Dissident's.

It's a parable upon Cannibalism I believe and ultimately the Unrest's that happened with Student's, Black's, etc.

Look at TVP and Quorn especially made from fake skin - composted scientific created fungus (it was originally made for a replacement for vivisection).

Hmmm.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Just watched this for the first time in a decade or two. It has held up well and still an excellent movie, whatever your take on population.

There are a few things that struck me as "prophetic." First of all, the way things were so shoddy, broken down. Loss of quality control, the general texture of life becoming gimy, gritty, and gone to seed. Older adults living together as roomates in tiny apartments in big cities, seemingly forever...that's on the rise for sure.

The 70s aesthetic in which it was filmed (especially the rich man's apartment) went out of style, but has since come back into style as "retro," so in some ways it seems less dated than it did when I watched it in the 80s.

On a rather grim note, one thing it made me wonder: Could people in such circumstances be socialized to ACCEPT mass cannibalism? Even in the movie, it was a closely-gaurded secret, but as we all know many humans have resorted to it or even relished it over the course of time.

[edit on 1/11/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terapin
The FIlm was also Edward G. Robinsons last film.

Of course it was his last film.
He submitted himself and was put to death in that room watching nature scenes on a massive screen.

He's dead.

EDIT: I like to edit

Anyone reading this is just a piece of meat, and cannibalism is a fact of life.
Sure "Soylent Green" is made from people in the film, but people have been eating people during our entire history, and they continue to do it to this day.

Google cannibalism if you doubt me..............

[edit on 11/1/2010 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
One of my favorite old moves with Charlton Heston, the others being Omega man & Planet of the Apes. During the movie contraband was strawberry jam, meat or fruit. Today, we have quite a few plants & processed plants that are contraband as well - one of the most popular being cannabis.

Originally posted by silent thunder

On a rather grim note, one thing it made me wonder: Could people in such circumstances be socialized to ACCEPT mass cannibalism? Even in the movie, it was a closely-gaurded secret, but as we all know many humans have resorted to it or even relished it over the course of time.

While I don't like the idea cannibalism, such as cooking up a human body and then eating it. The way it is done in the Soylent Green it looks like some type of protein bars and technically probably not cannibalism. At what point of processing does it fail to be cannibalism? Never? Or when you can no longer recognize it as being different from any other protein. We all come from the earth and eventually we recycle back to the earth to be eaten by other critters until that same material reaches us again and becomes a part of us.

Again if the body is broken down (processed) and eaten by some form of bacteria and then turned into some type of edible food a generation or two away from the flesh I think it would not be cannibalism and we wouldn't think about it.

So, yes I think most sheeple can be socialized to accept whatever form of food they have to eat if they believe they don't have any other options. If we can be socialized to think it's great to send our children to slaughter people in far off lands to make other people wealthy and if they die we still think it's okay - I think cannibalism if required would happen.

We already have astronauts reprocessing their urine into water for consumption on the space station because it is so difficult and expensive to bring more water up there. On a long journey astronauts just might fertilize the vegetables with their deceased shipmates in order to cut down on cargo. Hey, these great tomatoes were made from Jim. Thanks Jim.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
This movie was made in 1973 and took place in 2022. It makes the future look bleak. In 73 it seemed like a futuristic fable, water rations, meat unobtainable, fruit available if stolen, etc. That hasn't happened yet BUT there's 16 years left in that prediction. Parts of what was pointed out ARE happening, the rise in Earth temperatures for one. The synopsis from that movie can be found here.

I saw this movie 30 years ago and found it to be entertaining. I saw it this past weekend and now I find it quite disturbing. You kinda have to be in your 40, at least, to remember this movie but my question is, was this movie a prediction of things to come? I'm beginning to think so.

i dont know , the Soylent are made from some kind of Tofu like material (soyabean ?). Im pretty sure there are many Soyabean food product in this world already..

<< 1   >>

join