It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today a girl told me that I was going to hell.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Well, before I start I suppose I could derail a certain argument before it starts: Yes, I do understand the Catholic Faith. I attended Catholic school from K to 12th grade. I went there because of academic reasons rather then religious ones but none the less I understand the religion quite a bit.

Now, onto my story. Today in class (I go to a secular university) I was told by a girl that I would be going to hell. Why am I going to hell you may ask? It is as simple as my belief that same sex couples should be able to marry and that I don't understand how, as a country, we feel that we have the right to debate this.

When the girl said that "the bible says..." she more or less lost all power to her argument. I explained that the bible is simply a book held in high regard and the laws and social guidelines pertained back then but not two thousand or more years later.

It was at that point that she told me I was going to hell.

Debate over I guess.

Just a rant, forgive me if this is the wrong board.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   
:shk::shk:

she's one of those people that gives the majority of good christian folk a bad name

i feel for you, i was told i was going to hell for believing that we should take "under god" out of the pledge, i was told that by not honoring god i was sinning

maybe we can turn this into a "share stories on the times you were told you were going to hell" thread

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Let's see, if I had a dollar for every time a girl told me to go to hell I'd have.....>carry the 7

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
she's one of those people that gives the majority of good christian folk a bad name

Agreed. I may not be of a Christian faith but I understand that not all Christians are people like her. Although it is remarkable how many people tell others that they will be going to hell; who are they to decide what constitutes a trip to hell.

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
maybe we can turn this into a "share stories on the times you were told you were going to hell" thread

Hah, I like that. You have my 'permission' to do so. Tell your friends

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
Let's see, if I had a dollar for every time a girl told me to go to hell I'd have.....>carry the 7

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Hell is something chrisitanity has created to make people believe in fear or else they will go to "hell". No one is going to hell unless they have given there will to Satan/Darnkess. The Divine Mother/Father/Light loves it's children and do not require worship or anything, the divine Lights love is unconditional, like parents love for there children. May the Light be with you and do not be tempted into Darkness

Christianity is a corrupt religion that has been twisted to controll people, a lot of things in it is wrong. Infact the only thing i know is true is that Jesus was on earth and has come back now, also Jesus is not the human being your worshipping, he's the projection of the Light. But it is almost impossible for ordinary people to see if it's Jesus seens they are not spiritualy developed enough to recognize he's divine energy. There is also someone else that will come out and claim to be Jesus, this is the work of the devil to missguide people. If you fear god, you must remove that fear now seens God/the Light do not threaten, punish or harm it's own creation. That is an evil god.

[edit on 11-12-2006 by InSaneTK]

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Welcome to the club my friend.

I think the best reason I was told that, is because I said that the bible is a book of chosen works created by mean to fit their agenda. That religion is merely a device to control people, and it's working quite well (Jihad, fight the terrorists, etc. etc.). The thing that still gets me is that so many people who claim to be christian don't even live the way Jesus showed them.

By the way, i'm sure many of you know this, but for those who do not, I have no religion except for promoting love and unity through love and loss of our fears; which some will still consider a religion.

Another funny thing is, I've actually had someone argue with me that I'm christian, when i repetitively explained to them why I was not, and although i may share some views of some people from all religions, that doesn't mean i follow that religion. She tried to get me to go to her church and kept telling me that i'm a christian. No i don't believe that jesus is god. Yes i believe that jesus was very in tune with light and "god", but we all can be that way. I see jesus more as someone to look up to and respect, like Ghandi or Mother Teresa.

So that's what i have to say for now.

Peace

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by InSaneTK
Hell is something chrisitanity has created to make people believe in fear or else they will go to "hell". No one is going to hell unless they have given there will to Satan/Darnkess. The Divine Mother/Father/Light loves it's children and do not require worship or anything, the divine Lights love is unconditional, like parents love for there children. May the Light be with you and do not be tempted into Darkness

Insane
.... If there is even a "hell" to begin with,I believe that would be the only way.. When are people going to learn that God is not a loser? If God loses one single solitary soul...nah, it's not gonna happen..

[edit on 11-12-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by 7Pan7cho7

No i don't believe that jesus is god. Yes i believe that jesus was very in tune with light and "god", but we all can be that way. I see jesus more as someone to look up to and respect, like Ghandi or Mother Teresa.

So that's what i have to say for now.

Peace

Well,Pan,I am somewhat like you.. However, being Christian is not necessarily believing Christ was God almight;it is having faith that Christ was the SON of God and trying to live your life as closely as possible to the way that Christ would have you. That is what a Christian is.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Well,Pan,I am somewhat like you.. However, being Christian is not necessarily believing Christ was God almight;it is having faith that Christ was the SON of God and trying to live your life as closely as possible to the way that Christ would have you. That is what a Christian is.

Well, I believe that we are all gods children, so in that sense I see jesus as the son of god. I live through love, and try to bring peace, making the world happier and better for all, right now it's just small scale stuff, but later I hope to be bigger and try and reach more people. So i'm not really christian, but i guess i'm a small percentage of what could be considered christian (because i also believe many things that many christians do not, and don't believe things they do.)

And to me, hell is just fear and darkness, or being without god; being afraid of god.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   

but i guess i'm a small percentage of what could be considered christian (because i also believe many things that many christians do not, and don't believe things they do.)

And to me, hell is just fear and darkness, or being without god; being afraid of god.

I think that sounds like a pretty good description of myself as well...Although my Christian percentage may be a little higher than yours, I don't know..
I don't know everything that you believe. I will say this, some of the things that I believe don't "wash" with most orthodox "Christians." I can tell you that much..

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Slap her down.

That's a personal attack on your own beliefs.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   
As a fellow member of the "going to hell" club,
I've often wondered why people would tell me this. And I've come to the conclusion that these hell-senders are probably somewhat unsure of their own beliefs -- and decreeing that someone who doesn't believe the same as they do is "going to hell" lets them feel a little better about their beliefs.

If they can make the distinction between themselves (going to heaven) and me (going to hell) they can feel better about their beliefs, knowing that they're "right" and will be rewarded for being right. Like some kind of grade.

In my Godliest booming voice "You get an A+ and will be going to heaven. That nasty person over there who thinks gays should have equal rights under the law gets an F and will be going to hell"!

Yay you!

At least it looks like I'll be in good company.

[edit on 13-12-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I am Christian and I believe Homosexuals should be allowed a legal union and should be given the right to adopt children.

Also, no one has the right to judge anyone's eternal standing but God.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Going to hell?

I'm sure the hostess WOULD have access to the seating chart.
She's probably right then huh?

Don't worry about overly judgemental people..They have their own hell on earth. It's a lot of work, poking around in everyones business.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by NowAmFound
I am Christian and I believe Homosexuals should be allowed a legal union and should be given the right to adopt children.

Also, no one has the right to judge anyone's eternal standing but God.

It's raining outside..........I see you standing in the rain

I make a judgement based on fact that you are going to get wet.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 05:37 AM
link   

The Divine Mother/Father/Light loves it's children and do not require worship or anything

I agree. The First Commandment states simply, "Thou shalt worship no other gods before Me." This means that YHWH recognizes that other gods do exist but He also tells us that He doesn't need our worship...In other words, "if you're going to worship any god, worship Me first." Basically, if a human being feels like they need to worship something YHWH tells us that His way is better than theirs...But He doesn't actually need our worship.
One of the arguments in favor of gods needing worship to survive, this runs completely contradictory to YHWH...Why would the creator of the Universe need the adoration of one of the last of His creations? If He needed us to survive, then how could He survive long enough to create us?

If you fear god, you must remove that fear now...

Well, my decades-old opinion on this matter was summed up quite adroitly by Magneto in the first X-Men movie: "Do you consider yourself a God-fearing man? Such a curious phrase...I always thought of God as a teacher, a bringer of wisdom, light & hope."

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
If God loses one single solitary soul...nah, it's not gonna happen..

A few times in my years-long history with ATS, I've linked to a place that describes a very intense study on the whole subject of Hell & its true meaning...As well as some thoughts (about their opinions on their "flocks") from the very same clergy that keep the "popular view" of Hell alive in the public mind. With that in mind, keep an open mind when viewing The Hell Page.

The thing that still gets me is that so many people who claim to be christian don't even live the way Jesus showed them.

Well, I don't claim to be Christian (because many are hippocrites & I don't even want to be associated with that type), but I still try...
Through my whole life, I don't remember any time that I could say that I really hated anybody...I admit to being angry at certain people for doing certain things, but it's never actually been a matter of hate. That being said, I'm also very perturbed at the "moneychangers & merchants" too...Judging by what they've been doing to the whole of modern society, I just want to...

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Classic. I can end any debate including this one with five words! You don't believe me?

"You are going to hell!"

Debate over... Next thread please!

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by spines
When the girl said that "the bible says..." she more or less lost all power to her argument. I explained that the bible is simply a book held in high regard and the laws and social guidelines pertained back then but not two thousand or more years later.

With the above statement you just proclaimed as much faith as the girl who wronged you. You, a very small human in a very large universe, would state with such authority what the bible is or is not? You have FAITH that the bible is "simply a book held in high regard and the laws and social guidelines pertained back then but not two thousand or more years later" just as the girl who would be a judge has faith that the bible is the absolute authority on the word of the Lord.

If your ears close as soon as someone says to you "the bible says" than you will never be better than you are today. I don’t say that from a religious perspective, either. If you are truly filled with such spite at the idea that some would attempt to live as they believe the bible is telling them to that you cannot listen to their arguments and form an intelligent opinion than how can you grow?

Do you walk through life holding your hands over your ears and singing "la-la, I can’t hear you" every time someone uses the bible as a source of reference?

Now, what the girl should have said is nothing. We are not to throw pearls before swine, so says the Lord. It is not for us who to believe to attempt to make the un-believer live as we do, for they do not believe and will not understand. What she should have told you, assuming that she just couldn’t hold her tongue, is that the bible states that it is not OK for a person of the Lord to serial fornicate with anyone, no matter what gender they are attracted to. Will I tell an unrepentant practicing homosexual that he is going to hell for his actions? No, my job as a Christian is not that of judge, nor do I desire to be a judge. All I can say is that the bible says that practicing homosexual acts is not OK, just as pre-marital sex is also not OK. Let homosexuals and serial fornicators do as they will. Who am I to try and stop them when it is the Lord who gave them free-will? I love them and wish them the best, and will treat them kindly always, even if the life they lead is one that I believe will lead to spiritual death.

I will not allow it in my household, but I recognize that my doorstep is where my control ends!

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   
People who are in hell are there because they have rejected God's way of forgiveness and salvation, meaning accepting/receiving/trusting/placing faith in Jesus Christ as Savior.

What a person says and does gives an insight into whether or not they have done the above. Only God knows for sure if and when someone is saved, but the actions of people do speak loudly.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join