It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus or Yeshua ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I recently have met a person that was different indeed, and very defensive in his was of talking to you about the Bible, he would constantly say how mature I should be something of his magnitude. But he continued to give the gospel of Christ, "the accurate gospel of Christ" and he never would use Jesus, but Yeshua. Now this is something that is quiet new to me. I have heard the name before but never really gone into depth about the reason of its usage.

Source:www.evangelicaloutreach.org...
Good to hear from you, and hopefully you are reading and learning the Hebraic ways of G-d. Yeshua is the recognized Hebraic name for the one who never left Israel, or ever taught outside of his land of birth. "Jesus," is of Greek origin, and in actuality derived from the pagan source of Isus ....

Instead of the false name "Jesus," which evidence suggests has pagan origins, I use Messiah's actual Hebrew name, Yeshua/Yahshua (Yay-shoo-ah or Yah-shoo-ah).

The name of Messiah is a separate issue, since we know FOR CERTAIN that his name is NOT "Jesus"; thus, a false name for Messiah is DEFINITELY being knowingly promoted. I use "Yeshua" and "Yahshua" interchangeably (capital emphasis in original).

other source

Source:www.gotquestions.org...
Question: "If His name was Yeshua, why do we call Him Jesus?"

Answer: Yeshua is the Hebrew name, and its English spelling is “Joshua.” Iesous is the Greek transliteration of the Hebrew name, and its English spelling is “Jesus.” Thus, the names Joshua and Jesus are essentially the same; both are English pronunciations of the Hebrew and Greek names for the Lord. (For examples of how the two names are interchangeable, see Acts 7:45 and Hebrews 4:8 in the KJV. In both cases, the word Jesus refers to the Old Testament character Joshua.)

I have a book on my desk. In German, I would refer to it as a Buch. In Spanish, it becomes a libro; in French, a livre. The language changes, but the object itself does not. In the same way, we can refer to Jesus as “Jesus,” “Yeshua,” or “YehSou” (Cantonese), without changing Him. In any language, His name means “the Lord Is Salvation.”

We refer to Him as “Jesus” because, as English-speaking people, we know of Him through English translations of the Greek New Testament. Scripture does not value one language over another, and it gives no indication that we must resort to Hebrew when addressing the Lord.

The command is to “call on the name of the Lord,” with the promise that we “shall be saved” (Acts 2:21; Joel 2:32). Whether we call on Him in English, Korean, Hindi, or Hebrew, the result is the same: the Lord is salvation.

Recommended Resource: Why Believe in Jesus?: Who He Is, What He Did, and His Message for You Today by Tim LaHaye.

What I found that Jesus is the greek name for Yeshua, the Christ of the Bible, and Jesus is some form of pagan misinterpretation. So then...

Many people I know, thousands of people that give there life to God under the sacrifice of Jesus. Does this mean simply that all these people, and even over the centuries who have given their life to Jesus, will go to hell cause they have been using the wrong name? OR is this even the wrong name or a problem at all?

But this stands out to me from the second source...

I have a book on my desk. In German, I would refer to it as a Buch. In Spanish, it becomes a libro; in French, a livre. The language changes, but the object itself does not. In the same way, we can refer to Jesus as “Jesus,” “Yeshua,” or “YehSou” (Cantonese), without changing Him. In any language, His name means “the Lord Is Salvation.”

This subject is very confusing and when talking about it or learning about it, or even talking to this man it makes me feel very different indeed, so I am very skeptic.

Thanks for any help

[edit on 11-12-2006 by ragster]

new topics

join