It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winning Captive Souls With Tax Dollars

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I wonder what brand of christianity they are preaching?? Is it the moderate one or the more extreme one where women stay submissive, divorce is evil under any circumstances, and they should become warrrors for Christ kind.......

There's a constitutional problem with this, with separation of church and state, but there should also be a problem with this one within the different church denominations also. I'm sure this is hard to believe, but there more than likely are a few christians within our prison system. as well as muslims, hindus, ect.... none of them should be coerced into accepting believes that they don't embrace, or worse, lying to the world and themselves about it.

Crap like this will eventually lead to a battle within the churches...which beliefs are the right beleifs?? It's gonna do more to harm the religions than anything else.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Don't trust the NY Times.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Tarzanbeta

Having been raised in a catholic way of life, Yes I do remember what prayer is about

They give them rewards if they follow a religious way of life... Im using prayer as a medium...

I believe it gives the prisonners a false vision of prayer, they will believe prayer is all about a materialistic world

Im teaching the critical thinking
, so you, are telling me it is fine those people are led to believe prayers are good for earning rewards? Nah sorry I dont buy that

As for designing the program, No I did not, I did way better:

I read the article

Welllllllllllll if it's not supposed to rehabilitate the prisonner, PLEASE tell me the purpose of it?

[edit on 11-12-2006 by CanadianGlasnost]

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by TarzanBeta
Benevolent Heretic, you can fake religious, but you can't fake true love.

So, how will the prison officials be able to tell if the prisoners are feeling this "true love" or not?

What's wrong with rewarding?

Nothing. As long as they're not being rewarded for faking something.

You think that those who refuse that program are stupid?

No. I think they have some integrity.

Therefore, there are those who would rather finish their sentence without any EFFORT into changing their life

Or without selling out and acting like someone they're not. Pretending to get religion.

People won't be playing around in that program and getting very far.

Funny how you just know that.

Originally posted by TarzanBeta
You lead me to believe you know the people personally who are running this program. I would like to know how you met them. I'm surprised you know so much about them.

Yeah, what you said.

Zooplancton, how does an atheist know what religion SHOULD be about?

Many atheists are such because they spent so much time in the very midst of religion. Many know quite a bit about religion.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Red Golem - excellent point!

How, exactly, is this different from forced conversion to Islam? Please, please someone try to argue this one... I really want to see someone tie themselves in knots trying to justify it.

It's points like that which illustrate the pressing, urgent need for separation between church and state. The UK is nominally a Christian country, but for many, many years now has been in practice secular, and much the better for it. All too often, when religion becomes involved in government, logic goes out of the window and lunacy starts sniffing around the doorway.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by rich23
Red Golem - excellent point!

It's points like that which illustrate the pressing, urgent need for separation between church and state. The UK is nominally a Christian country, but for many, many years now has been in practice secular, and much the better for it. All too often, when religion becomes involved in government, logic goes out of the window and lunacy starts sniffing around the doorway.

Rich,
wow thank you very much!!
And as to the topic. I doubt you will ever be able to say anything else that I will agree with you more then what I quoted above. Religion does very much need to be out of government. I know religion is part of any person who wishes to subscribe to one, but it still needs to be out of government. The state things are in on this world now, I, unfortunately don't see that happening any time soon. I in fact see things going the other way. People can and are using religion as a way and means to gain, control, and to keep power. So I fear the very worst people in the future.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 10:02 PM
link   

THAT'S what religion should be about. (and i'm an atheist)
rock on amma. at least YOU get it.

Zooplancton, how does an atheist know what religion SHOULD be about? I would think a religious individual would know more about being religious.
However, I care not for religion. There is deception in that woman if does not glorify Jesus with her work. Faith without works is dead, but works without faith is also dead.

just because you don't subscribe to something doesn't mean you don't understand it?
that's retarded.

"that woman" is a hindu, and she does a hell of a lot more for mankind than any single entity i know of... how did you ASSume she wasn't spiritual? she's dedicated her entire life to her religion.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
I wonder what brand of christianity they are preaching?? Is it the moderate one or the more extreme one where women stay submissive, divorce is evil under any circumstances, and they should become warrrors for Christ kind.......

Because there is so much of that kind of preaching going around???? When I have run across that it has been very rare, and borderlining on a "cult" not any mainstream Catholic or Protestent Christian Religion. It won't lead to "fighting" between churches, at least not with guys strapping C4 to their chest and blowing up the local church.....that's Islam.

I also agree with the next poster, when it refers to Jesus, Christianity, Americana/Middle America, the Republican Party, or the Bush family, I would beleive little or none of iwhat comes out of the NYT.

I wonder about the actual specifics of the program, the article seems very generalized. If it was a violation of Church/State (which it is according to what the article states), why has it gone on so long. No one has filed in the TX State or US Supreme Court???? I find that hard to beleive. I think the article is probably taking something and blowing it vastly out of proportion.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 05:26 AM
link   
well, let's see.....does your church believe that a women shouldn't work, unless of course her husband wants her to? matter of fact, she shouldn't be doing anything that he doesn't want her to. the southern baptist's doctrine state as such. what a fine thing that would be to teach someone who's been imprisoned for knocking his girlfriends lights out, huh??

catholic church doesn't believe in birth control....ya, let them procreate like little bunnies to be caged latter in life.

and, well, there's a board here about the summer bootcamp for kids...

and.....I've spent some time in the far fridges of the christian religion, the extremism is growing faster than the moderate.

how do you believe one should be baptized, should they be submerged in water, or sprinkled on the head...should this be done at birth, or later in life, when the person is accountable for their own decisions. should it be done in the name of Jesus Christ, or the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.....

apparently this is an important discussion in some religous circles....I've seen it debated for hours at a time....and people's salvation denied on this basis.

do people believe strongly enough in this that they would strap bombs onto themselves and go about blowing up people, no, not as long as they can practice according to their own beliefs...
but we do have people blowing up abortion clinics now, don't we....so obviously in some people minds things can get twisted enough to do the unthinkable.

I don't believe everything I read in the newspapers, don't worry. but, if it is, then this is a state sponsored religion that is going on, so, what doctrine is it?? which of the many doctrines has the government chosen to embrace, offering a better life to those who would chose to give up their own believes and follow....
will they offer you a similar deal in the future, a nicer life if you just convert to their chosen set of beliefs? will the protestants, or the catholics, or whatever, be damned to a less pleasent lifestyle if they chose not to? in other words, are we looking at the beginnings of something very anti-christ like?

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   
As a Southern Baptist, I can tell you that most doctrine is based on the "autonomy of the local church", within certain bounds set by the Southern Baptist Convention, and there is no clause saying women can't work unless the man says so and if there is a specific southern baptist church spouting this it is outside of the bounds set by the convention. Now there is some language stating the church beleives it is better for a women to stay at home and raise the familes' children (if there are any). Children being raised by their mother is often considered better then daycare even in some secular writings, so there is nothing "extreme" about this, but the SBC does not prevent women from working. My wife has spent time at home and working outside of the home, and both were her choice, and both were supported by me. Most S. Baptist couples I know are the same.

If it is state sponsered by tax dollar religion, it doesn't matter what doctrine it is. If relgion is a secondary or supplimental part of a prison program (even a tax dollar supported one) it's a bit different matter. But baised on the original article it sounds all like NYT dival.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join