It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winning Captive Souls With Tax Dollars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 09:20 AM
link   
According to the following report, life in an Iowa prison is much better for those inmates who enter a religious rehabilitation program and can meet the spiritual requirements of the evangelical Christians running it. The program claims to have a goal "to cure prisoners by identifying sin as the root of their problems". One may be surprised just how much better life can be in this particular prison, if one is willing to accept this religion...

www.nytimes.com
The toilets and sinks — white porcelain ones, like at home — were in a separate bathroom with partitions for privacy. In many Iowa prisons, metal toilet-and-sink combinations squat beside the bunks, to be used without privacy, a few feet from cellmates.

The cells in Unit E had real wooden doors and doorknobs, with locks. More books and computers were available, and inmates were kept busy with classes, chores, music practice and discussions. There were occasional movies and events with live bands and real-world food, like pizza or sandwiches from Subway. Best of all, there were opportunities to see loved ones in an environment quieter and more intimate than the typical visiting rooms.

But the only way an inmate could qualify for this kinder mutation of prison life was to enter an intensely religious rehabilitation program and satisfy the evangelical Christians running it that he was making acceptable spiritual progress.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I am not personally opposed to anything that can have success in rehabilitating prisoners. However forcing inmates to choose between normal prison life, and life that has much more comfort and amenities, IF they are willing to accept a religion, or basically sell their souls to obtain a better "prison life" is wrong, especially when it is funded with tax dollars.

What happens when these inmates are freed and find that prayer alone will not provide them everything they need?

Who decides who gets in this program and who doesn't?

What happens if an inmate's religion does not agree with that of the program?

What happened to separation of Church and State?

Related ATS Forum:

Conspiracies in Religions

[edit on 10-12-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I have to say I highly disagree with this. They want to run a religous program like where they sit and pray daily, maybe do a mass on sunday, fine. I don't mind that. They should be given the same quality of life as all the other prisoners though.

This is a complete exploitation of the jail system and its purpose.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
This is very troublesome, and I am very ashame of how my tax payer money can go to deceiving practices like this one.

The inmates can lie to get this improved God blessed amenities.

And just take advantage of the system or the gullible soul rescuing fools.

This tells you how crocked is the path that our nation is been taking in the name of saving souls at the expenses of tax payers, meanwhile I wonder how much of that money is pocketed by the soul savers themselves.

Incredible.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   
It may be worth mention that the original article states that this "program" grew from a 'project' started in 1997 at a Texas prison, with the full support of none other than (then Texas Governor) George W. Bush.

It may be an "alternative" to normal prison life, however, ask yourselves that if circumstance had you end up in prison for whatever reason, and the choice was yours would you take the "better prison life" or not?

Some could argue that people can be changed, and this could bring real and lasting good into these otherwise evil and tortured souls, But isn't this kind of change a subtle form of mind control, or manipulation?

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz
Some could argue that people can be changed, and this could bring real and lasting good into these otherwise evil and tortured souls, But isn't this kind of change a subtle form of mind control, or manipulation?

I agree that many people may find religion in jails and can even change their lives, good for those than do.

But more will end up in the same path that got them in Jail to begin with.

Mind control? it depends . . . many will abuse the program and make it a choice control

But one point I will bring is that this program may be in progress to fight another problem that is getting hold of our prisons.

Inmates are finding Islam also in jails and I believe it was an article about that issue no so long ago in the news.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
There was another good example in that article about a Christian college that received more than a million dollars of public money, and it came out later that they were mostly just teaching religion - very little secular education.

If a Christian school can provide a valuable real-world education, they shouldn't be ineligible for public money just because they're self-described Christians, but I don't see any reason why the public should have to pay for religious indoctrination.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I don't suppose any of them will 'fake' being religious to get these special favors... No way.
Just like they don't fake getting religion to get out of jail. Praise the Lord! I have seen the light! Now where's my computer and private visitors privileges... ?

I really can't believe they're getting away with 'rewarding' prisoners for acting like they've found Jesus!

Sick!

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I don't suppose any of them will 'fake' being religious to get these special favors... No way.

My thoughts exactly.
This whole thing makes me feel like watching A Clockwork Orange again.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Oh my god... what a load of crap

for a few prayers you get a load of advantages?

Man... that would be enough to get me to the church on Sundays if it was the same outside

That's just a lousy attempt to buy faith... and you don't buy faith

they will only learn illusions with that

the child murderer found god in prison, oh how nice! quick take a picture of him amongst the school's little choral

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianGlasnost

the child murderer found god in prison, oh how nice! quick take a picture of him amongst the school's little choral

Or next to the holy white porcelain toilets and real wooden doors and doorknobs, that will show everybody that the power of prayer does work.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Oh yeah! God gave me a way to get out of my misery!

But how???

See this nice wooden door I got by prayer? It is way easier to break down than Iron bars! Liberty here I come!

yep... be proud of the power of praying...
How long was it when my 3rd grade teacher was telling us stories about how prayer saved her husband from terminal cancer?

Prayer went from saving people of sickness to handing out porcelain toilets... Talk about life being unfair

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianGlasnost

See this nice wooden door I got by prayer? It is way easier to break down than Iron bars! Liberty here I come!

You made my day

But I wonder if the program is only for low level inmates or for all type of prisoners including the ones in death row.

And it doesn't surprise that it has Bush behind it.
But how can that be, trying to give prisoners a better way to their misery but at the same time he was trigger happy with the death penalty. hum.

Perhaps redemption?

[edit on 10-12-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Sometimes you have to wonder how well-intentioned some of these people are. Is it nothing more than a way to prop up their own limpid faith. How much opportunity do they provide on the outside, other than washing dishes or some other low-paying job.

Most of those guys would probably be better off in an AA meeting than playing lost soul to a bunch of rabidly religious co-dependents.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I fully agree on that one clearwater...

I don't know for the deathrow marg but SURELY they are not THAT dumb... (I mean giving a wooden door and porcelain toilet to a guy on deathrow???)

as for redemption... oh yeah sure, they already got the priest that follows them in their last moment I believe?

I just have trouble understanding how giving a better standard of living because a guy is able to fake a few prayers is going to help rehabilitate...

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Organized religion in all forms seems to be taking a major role in societal evolution. While it seems on the surface Nobel to try to convert those society deems unfit to be outside of locked doors. It could be a symptom of a greater desperation.

While the world has seen acts of evil, and even war tied to one or another particular faith. The human world seems to be greater divided along religious lines, the majority on either side of this 'divide' are Christians and Muslims. Both know extremism, and have been known to have strict doctrine.

Perhaps this chapter of human evolution could be headed toward a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Convert, confess your sins, accept Jesus as your savior, and all will be forgiven.

Convert the infidels, those who will not convert must die.

Apocalypse.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Perhaps also the sacred book has some tiny mistakes in it? I must admit I think apocalypse thingy in the bible is utter crap

Not that I don't believe in a end of the world possibility, that would be being close minded.

Just that those signs of end of the world are so vague they apply pretty much anywhere on our timeline

Of course if the world ends You will have ***holes: See? Told you! It was in the bible!

utter crap

And im not talking about the asses focusing on convertion instead of being a better member of their religion

More praying less Converting

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 09:32 PM
link   
i guess i can sadly and aptly say that i am not surprised by this at all...
this is how our ugly world works. it's sad that many religious people's main fundamental of teaching 'good' to others, is also just as dirty as the convicts that they try to sway.

it makes me appreciate ammagi, an indian spiritual person that travels the world just to give hugs. she has built hundreds of homes, and many, many hospitals just to name a few things of philanthropy that she does for the world. selfless work every day of her life. she hugs up to 25,000 in one sitting at times. it's a simple thing. no propaganda, no doing it for the money for self-profit.
no "christian only" towns, no self-serving theme parks, just love for the world and doing the right thing.

THAT'S what religion should be about. (and i'm an atheist)
rock on amma. at least YOU get it.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   

What happens when these inmates are freed and find that prayer alone will not provide them everything they need?

Who decides who gets in this program and who doesn't?

What happens if an inmate's religion does not agree with that of the program?

What happened to separation of Church and State?

First of all, how can YOU know the effects of prayer if you do not know what prayer is?

Religion means nothing. Relationship is what one needs with Jesus Christ. This is what will be taught to them.

It is a separation. If it was not separated, everyone in the jails would be in the program.

I don't suppose any of them will 'fake' being religious to get these special favors... No way. Just like they don't fake getting religion to get out of jail. Praise the Lord! I have seen the light! Now where's my computer and private visitors privileges... ?

I really can't believe they're getting away with 'rewarding' prisoners for acting like they've found Jesus!

Sick!

Benevolent Heretic, you can fake religious, but you can't fake true love. I'm sure these privileges are based upon strict rules.
What's wrong with rewarding? You think that those who refuse that program are stupid? Someone must have refused that program, because not everyone is in the program. Therefore, there are those who would rather finish their sentence without any EFFORT into changing their life (considering being in jail/prison doesn't require effort to change... the change happens in jail/prison anyway. However, EFFORT would be required for this program.).
People won't be playing around in that program and getting very far.

for a few prayers you get a load of advantages?
they will only learn illusions with that

CanadianGlasnost, do you even know what a prayer is? If prayers begat a load of advantages, then are you saying that praying accomplished that for you? Aren't you teaching us the illusion of knowing? However, you do not know.

Sometimes you have to wonder how well-intentioned some of these people are. Is it nothing more than a way to prop up their own limpid faith. How much opportunity do they provide on the outside, other than washing dishes or some other low-paying job.

Most of those guys would probably be better off in an AA meeting than playing lost soul to a bunch of rabidly religious co-dependents.

ClearWater, open your eyes and ears, and you will see what God is doing on the outside. However, are those who think themselves free (the majority of Americans, as I) worthy of receiving freedom? Yes, the ones who are in bondage and have no way out, they are weak. They will accept the help, truly.

Rabidly religious... you lead me to believe you know the people personally who are running this program. I would like to know how you met them. I'm surprised you know so much about them.

I just have trouble understanding how giving a better standard of living because a guy is able to fake a few prayers is going to help rehabilitate...

Canadian Glasnost, you really know a lot about this program. Did you help design it? I'm curious, how is it that a few prayers are suppose to rehabilitate an individual, and when it is ever claimed as having that effect? As well, I would also like to know what evidence you have to support the idea that all of this is a load?

THAT'S what religion should be about. (and i'm an atheist)
rock on amma. at least YOU get it.

Zooplancton, how does an atheist know what religion SHOULD be about? I would think a religious individual would know more about being religious.
However, I care not for religion. There is deception in that woman if does not glorify Jesus with her work. Faith without works is dead, but works without faith is also dead.

Finally, to all...
Have you ever been to jail/prison before?
How do you even know what people are going through?

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 02:50 AM
link   
What, indeed, happened to the separation between church and state. The thought that there is a two-tier system in this prison, but to get the privileges you have to satisfy some self-righteous jerk that you've found JE-sus... that sticks in the craw.

People who have their doubts about this faith-based approach to rehabilitation might get a laugh out of this article from the Landover Baptist Church (warning: unsaved people not welcome!)

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I am all for a way that might help rehabilitate criminals, but I agree that useing religen funded with tax dollars is not an acceptable methed. I am not to sure if I could even accept a priviatly funded religen to do the same from what was described in the opening paragraph. For the reason why look hear.

A video released earlier showed the two making various pronouncement including an apparent statement of conversion by Centanni to Islam. He explained after his release that he felt coerced into making the statements, as his captors wielded firearms.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join