It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How is it genetically possible for these creatures to exist?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Hey guys,

I've always been interested in subjects like "The Mothman", "The Jersey Devil", "The Goatman", etc. I've enjoyed reading about them because it fascinates me how true most of the eyewitness testimony is, it's spooky, and it really makes your brain wonder.

If these creatures actually do exist, or did at one point in history, how is it genetically and physically possible? I mean we're in the year 2006 - we have cutting-edge scientists all over the world, but the most they can do is make artificial/mechanical life. Obviously these strange creatures are or were living non-mechanical creatures (providing they do or did exist.)

Even if the Jersey Devil was born a human being, how did it get wings and the ability to fly, how did it live to be over 200 years old? Or the Mothman.. if the Mothman did indeed exist, how is it possible for the Mothman to have had the ability of flight, glowing eyes, yet person-like features? They say the Goatman was a laboratory-experiment gone wrong, but still - how is that genetically possible?

This is the only thing that ends up bugging me about these one-of-a-kind creatures that aren't even species really because there's only said to be ONE of them in existence (unlike bigfoots where people say they're seeing them all of the time.)

How do these one-of-a-kind creatures come to exist? They don't just pop out of the sky. They can't have a biological mother or father, it's like they're "just made". You know, one day they just pop up and how they came to be isn't even thought about.

Point being: if these things are real, they HAVE to originate from some other LIVE creature. Every living thing has a parent (animals, insects, people, trees, flowers, etc.) Not only are these things apparently "not born" but they have superficial abilities like flying.

I know the Jersey Devil was said to be born a human, but like I said earlier: where does a human in life gain the ability to fly, have wings, and live 200 years? I've seen some of the most deformed humans on Discover, TLC, on the Web, newspapers, but NONE of them have the ability to fly or end up living 200 years (if anything they're lucky to live half the length of a normal human lifespan.)

So yeah, I mean.. where do the things genetically come from since it's impossible for them to just appear in thin air?

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
IMO these one of a kind creatures do not exist until one is bagged and studied. They're legends, myths for now and will remain that way until one is provided for scientific study.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
IMO these one of a kind creatures do not exist until one is bagged and studied. They're legends, myths for now and will remain that way until one is provided for scientific study.

I agree here that they do not occur naturally. I also say that these one of a kind creatures most likely don't exist, because you would think by now that somebody would at least have a decent video of one.

But then again you have to ask yourself, if they can put whale DNA into our fruit to make it able to live in colder temperatures, how hard would it be for them to fuse a couple of animals together; possibly even with a human.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
What's the word for that? Is it "vivisection"? H.G. Wells wrote a fascinating book about that entitled The Island of Dr. Moreau. Very, very creepy.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Hmmm...,

Genetic Manipulation, Irradiating DNA, The pollutants in our ecosystem, and lets not leave out the possibility of good old-fashioned science fiction.

[edit on 12/10/2006 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Never say never in nature. Genetics in nature is just as unpredictable as a lion on a tumble drier. I.e. Very. Let's take the best example of genetically impossible creatures... Meet the platypus.
This is a mammal that lays eggs. It has a "duck bill" and not a real snout. It has a venomous "spur". They use electroreception to locate their prey. Even more astounding is their DNA makeup.

the platypus has ten sex chromosomes, compared to two (XY) found in most other mammals (for instance, a male platypus is always XYXYXYXYXY). Furthermore, one of the platypus’s Y-chromosomes shares genes with the ZZ/ZW sex chromosomes found in birds. This news further pronounced the individuality of the platypus in the animal kingdom.

Source

Now compared to a platypus, anything is genetically possible. A humanoid being with wings? There are hundreds of bat species, so we know mammals (or rather non-birds) with wings are possible. Hey, there are even "flying fish".

Personally I don't believe in any of the 3 creatures you mentioned, especially due to the lack of any proof other than folklore and urban legends/stories. (The photographic evidence is very weak.) If there is a genetically created creature it's probably "the Goatman" (are you referring to Chupacabra?) as it is the "youngest" of the famous cryptids/cryptoids.

I also believe - if they exist - that some sightings, such as that of the Jersey Devil and the Mothman, are one and the same creature (or species) because their descriptions sound very alike.

But as I said. Never say never. And in nature, expect the unexpected.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Hey! How does a rainbow work? How does posi-traction in a Buick work?

It just duzz!

Seriously though, I don’t believe in Chupacabra or Goatmen but whoever said that only one of these creatures existed? Also, it could be related to a generational thing where every once in a while a Coyote will give birth to a Chup or more likely birth defects leading to misidentification of species from time to time.

As I said, I don’t subscribe to any of these weird creatures but strange things do happen.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Mules can't reproduce, they are sterile. They were entirely made by humans. It would be easy for someone to have only made one and then that was the only mule that ever existed and it would be the thing of legends. Although obviously mixing humans and moths is a lot harder than mixing two very genetically similar animals.

If you don't think that nature can produce such ridiculous creatures, what about another planet? If you believe in UFOs, it could have brought them here. Either as the operants of the craft, or just as pets/food or as an experiment.

If you want to get really weird, think about alternate dimensions. If you take this into consideration, you have literally unlimited possbilities. And many people are starting to think that things like Mothman could be an interdimensional being.

If any of these things even exist, that is.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Ergh. Double post. Well I guess I might as well use it to say that anything is genetically possible if you could manipulate genes well enough. One little chromosome change can be the difference between having Down Syndrome or not, so you can probably do some very crazy things with very minor changes.

[edit on 11-12-2006 by Yarcofin]

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Aren't mules the result of horses mating with donkeys? I'm not so sure that this hasn't happened in the wild.

SLPEXE

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   

It would be easy for someone to have only made one and then that was the only mule that ever existed and it would be the thing of legends.

Not really, since people keep horses and donkeys together often, especially back in the old days when horses and donkeys were a main mode of transportation. If Mothmen/Jersey Devil/Chupacabra were naturally-occurring hybrids, there would be more of them, since their source heritage would likely continue to reproduce itself.

As for whether they exist, I think that conclusive evidence would've been discovered by now. If they were hybrids of some sort, they're only born of an over-active imagination, fear, and poor lighting. Most of the reported "sightings" have occurred at night. There are very few reports of these creatures in broad daylight. We as humans have poor eyesight in the dark and, being diurnal, we have a natural fear of night because that is when we are most vulnerable, and it's prime hunting time for predators. As such, the slightest glimpse of something out of the ordinary can spark a fear response within us, making us perceive the "something" as a Big Nasty--a Mothman, or Jersey Devil.

Example: one night, a college student was driving home late after spending time at a restaurant with a few friends. As she was approaching a slight bend in the road, she saw a huge shape walking down the road, heading directly for her car. It moved oddly--a swaying, bobbing gait--and it was about as tall as the vehicle. She flipped on her high beams and saw a very unnatural creature. Its head was skull-like and attached to nothing, with a pair of horns perched on its crown. The eyes were bright green. The legs were long, tall, and thick, and they, like the head, were disembodied.

Spooky? Yes. Was it a fantastical beast? No, it was a cow, and it almost gave me a heart attack. The headlights illuminated only the white head and legs, while the dark body remained out of sight until I got closer. It was quite a relief, but for that brief moment, I had myself convinced that what I was looking at was some otherwordly thing come to suck out my intestines.

Do you get my meaning? People spot something they perceive to be a creature from Hell, or some kind of alien, and they report it to the media (or, in the case of olden times, they pass on the information to neighbors). Then, the masses swoop down on the spot to investigate and they find what they're searching so hard for: a glimpse in the darkness of a shape unnatural. It gets blown out of proportion, and a legend is born.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 08:37 AM
link   
1. Large enough (secret) population to keep them going. ~1000 of them I guess, on long term basis, with a long reproduction cycle..

2. Sci-fi/"I want to believe"/It's them ghosts I tell you!/Goverment secret project blah blah.

3. They don't excist.

I know what I am voting on. The only mythical creature I _could_ believe in, was any deep sea-based creature, or maybe the bigfoot in himalaya because its such a remote place. Other than that, no way.

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   
It is genitically possible because of asexual reproduction. Some snakes can and so can reptiles.

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   
they may merely be genetic anomolies to begin with much less demons and such

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I think the only way these creatures can be on this planet is if Aliens have dropped them off as some sort of experiment or something. I'll always believe that there are many, many planets out there that have some sort of living life on them. Heck, there could be flying Dolphins with Elephant ears somewhere in the galaxy, it's not impossible to imagine. If you believe that there are other societies out there, then you must be able to believe that these "societies" on other planets would have to be much different to humans.

Totally different planet, totally different forms of genetics and all that stuff. Who knows what could be out there?

My point is - The way I see it, if these creatures really exist, then I believe they're from another planet. How can these things be formed on planet earth? It just doesn't all match up.

Aliens either dropped them here by experiment or whatever, or they're man made which is close to being impossible to believe.

[edit on 31-12-2006 by Rocky6]

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadeWolf
It is genitically possible because of asexual reproduction. Some snakes can and so can reptiles.

Not possible in long term.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
just a thought.

perhaps more than one of any or all of these creatures do exist. why is it that we as human beings continually believe that if it's not human it's got to be incredibly stupid and blunder into habitated areas every few hours? the fact is animals are not that stupid. in any given slightly wilderness area there can be thousands of bears, but sightings of said bears will only amount to a few. it isn't because there are a few, it's because they are intelligent creatures and usually stay out of sight of human beings.

as for some of these legendary creatures being interdimensional, it's entirely plausible. all of our vast scientific knowledge has been accumulated over only a few hundred years, yet we still are not sure exactly what gravity is, if it's a particle,wave,waveparticle. less do we know about alternate dimensions,spacetimes etc. we know very little about anything that we can't see and measure. a large group of people refuse to beleive in interdimensional beings or aliens far out in space mainly because our scientists for the most part have become rigid in their thinking and pretend they know everything there is to know about the universe. the reality of all this is, we know next to nothing.
perhaps it's time humanity realised this and instead of immediately dismissing the possibility of existence of these creatures actually took some time to research and study it. as you'll probably find the only study done on things of this nature are by people not in the scientific fields, or at least not as part of their dayjob, which is actually quite sad.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by southern_cross3
What's the word for that? Is it "vivisection"? H.G. Wells wrote a fascinating book about that entitled The Island of Dr. Moreau. Very, very creepy.

Just don't watch the movie with Marlon Brando and Val Kilmer. >_<

Anyways, I am at a loss to explain how honest people have seen these extraordinary creatures. You can't deny the honesty of the witnesses' testimonials, yet logic dictates that these creatures cannot exist because no one has seen then on a consistent basis unlike Bigfoot. Are they science experiments gone awry? It all sounds like the plotline to a bad Sci Fi flick.

[edit on 28-1-2007 by Reptilian_Queen]

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   
regarding that mule

There have only been two substantiated cases of a mule giving birth in the past quarter century: one in China in 1988 and the other also in Morocco in 1984.

BBC Link

The 14-year-old mother mule gave birth at the end of August, in a small hamlet in the region of Oulmes, 80 kilometres south of the ancient city of Fez.

Confirmation

Expect the unexpected indeed.

new topics

top topics

join