It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the point of Psychic / Paranormal powers?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anomic of Nihilism
Something Smells.......(smells of opinions and not much more
)

There are two forms of skeptism...

1) A well informed skeptics, they are fine, you can actually have a worthwhile conversation with these people.

2)The ignorent skeptic. Either by choice or lack of contact with research sources, these are the hardest people to deal with as its very hard to debate with someone who lacks the basic facts.

So, have fun, and educate others with what you TRUELY know, not what you THINK you know

Smells of opinions??

Am I 1 or 2 I don't know. I find the last statement a little insulting. All that we know as individuals is all that we think we know, surely?

Yes I am aware of Quantum, String, M you hum it, I'll sing it. The paranormal world has been waiting for something like weird physics to explain away science and explain mysticism etc.

None of you will believe me, but I did have a lot of faith and some ability in the paranormal...if you people were really able to do what you say you can do, then you would already know this. You could remote view me

I have found that research is indicating that the human noggin can be fooled. The difference is if you believe you look for no other answer.
I can't remember the gents name but a scientist some time back thought he saw an apparition in his peripheral vision. As he looked at it, it disappeared, that sounds like quite a few events that some people claim to have. Now if he believed he would have just put it down to being open to a spiritual or ghostly vision. "Yahoo I am Psychic."

But no he was a rational, thinking and inquisitive scientist. So he investigated and found that infra-sound from a fan in the room was causing the effect. Now no doubt the believers her would say he lost a great opportunity to nurture his gift.

Now I believe that much of the effects people claim will at some time have similar explanations. Already studies are showing that sensory deprivation and electromagnetic radiation have huge effects.

That there is the possibility of some quantum mechanical inter-dimensionality going on doesn't mean that all the so called psychics are right.

I used to scoff at Richard Wiseman, I now think a lot of what he says makes sense.

The blind faith and leap of faith of you people can be breathtakingly crazy.
Anything I witness I tend to rationalise now. I know that I can't be 100% sure of what is going on in my mind, I will say no more now.

The leap of faith and belief of something we were not witness to is responsible for a lot of ill in the world, from dodgy religions to going to war on a false assumption and a dodgy dossier.

As for having fun. I am, I always find this forum a bit of a laugh..

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   
The olny point to sychic or tele powers it what you want to do with it. Origanly if tele exist it could have evovled or be a side effect of the eveloution of our brain.

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anomic of Nihilism

Im sure you know what an encephalogram is (EEG). Well, some years ago, they decided to do a similar thing with the earth, literally sticking 75 sensors into the earth around the globe...it was called the GEG (Gia Encephalogram..bit cheesey but anyway). The idea was to see if large or "worldwide" events could theoretically effect human consciouness and the earth on a "Global Conscoiuness" level.

Well......it worked, the system works on radom number genorators, each of the 75 machines genorating a hundred (or more) random number sequences.........Well GET THIS, the day of 9/11, all the machines started to synchronize them selves, the guy that was checking the data Saw that something big was happening BEFORE he had heard of the WTC attack.

So.... the world is stranger than you are prepared to accept. who knows, 700 years ago we could have been having a similar arguement, and it might have been **I**, shreeking that... "THE WORLD IS FLAT DAMN YOU.....FLAT I SAY!!!!!!"

Yes I was aware of this. But believe repeatability is the key. It could be that by looking for the correlation or affect we change the experiment like Schrodinger's cat, alive or dead. I have some belief that this is what happened to me, perhaps.

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by emjoi
This all sounds vaguely like the plot of the X-Men movies.
Oh why can't the Mutants and Normals live in harmony?

Yeah. Nice one. This is kind of what I am saying rather than getting on and using their so called powers for good they spend hours on boards like these slagging none believers off

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by WalkInSilence
Very interesting,
But there was no reason to bash Forest Lady.

People express knowledge in different ways. Hostility brings us but closer to stupidity

And why is this topic in Website-Related Discussions.?
Is it an attempt to discredit Paranormal Studies? then please do it in the open. Sincerity is much easier to relate to.

WIS

[edit on 11-12-2006 by WalkInSilence]

It was put in Website-Related Discussions becuse the mighty Umbrax Made it clear that inappropiate topics that may upset the delicate constitution of the paranormal persons would not be tolerated...and I note instantly locked the thread to prevent discussion...on a discussion forum?? Surely not.

Based on this information I thought that it would go the way of the recycle bin like one or two other topics I kicked off here before, that questioned things. In fact the fact that they moved it to here may only be because it actually existed outside the safe world of the paranormal, so the real world knows it exists, who knows. I don't I am not Psychic

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher

I can't tell you or explain or even begin to understand why I sometimes see, feel, know or experience things that other people do not, but the fact that I do see, feel, know and experience things that other people do not causes me to want to know more.

I am a little concerned with your assessment of anyone who has experienced the paranormal or pyschic world as being arrogant or having the answers or having experienced enlightment. .........

Why??? Maybe it's because certain people, perhaps like yourself will not openly, honestly and subjectively look at each individual issue. Not every claim of the pyschic or paranormal phenomenon is real, but not every claim is explainable or fake either.

I to have experienced "things" that others have not. I wanted to know more and that is why I am where I am now.

My assessment of "arrogance" and "enlightenment" is what I have encountered in the past in circles and see most days on these boards.

I am very subjective in my examination but also with a huge dollop of objectivity. As to paranormal claims. Well I think something else may be happening and the brain fills in the gaps. Maybe at the quantum level there is some "happenings" "event" "stimuli".

As to whether or not psychic phenomena are real. Well the way I see it is that at a quantum level witnessed events may be both real and unreal.

After all in the psychic realm what id real???

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Well I think just as some of these 'super-humans' like to get their egos stroked by their testimonies about how they can do this or that, some skeptics get their egos stroked when they blatantly disregard evidence....placing them into the same category with the bunch that make baseless assertions without looking at the evidence of what may be the cause if not their mere delusion or arrogance.
Now I'm skeptical about a lot of the claims made on this board, but remote viewing is not one of them. Why? Because I've looked at the evidence.
Why was it implemented by the CIA, DIA and INSCOM if was mere superstition? Classified projects taking place between the 70s to the mid 90s and lost funding the minute it went public. Maybe because the CIA has studied the phenomenon enough to realize it's something real that science at this point simply cannot explain.
Science at the present time still cannot explain a lot of things that happens in nature. If you are aware of the phenomenon that occurs in Quantum-Physics, why would it be so difficult to understand that other phenomenon is also taking place? Especially something that the science community for the most, refuses looking into?

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by mistr_b2
First of all I want to say that all of todays self proclaimed psychics are all fake.The main reason is simple,absolutely no so called psychics saw or predicted the whole 9-11 event which I believe was the biggest story of this new century so far.I remember the day it happened,all the news reporters all said the same thing,why did nobody see this coming?

All you people that waste your money on psychic readings,don't bother.You can go to a library and read a free book of predictions from Nostrodomos as he seems to hit events right on at the correct dates.

[edit on 11-12-2006 by mistr_b2]

Yes, that is a point. As the thread says: "What is the point of psychic/ paranormal powers."

What is the point of going to these people and getting useful information like "I am getting the name George....anyone of the 500 people here know a George?"

or "You will have great prosperity and marry a famous actress."

If they can't predict events like 911 then how can they know that next year I will be wealthy, or get hit by a car. I am being a little flippant here but it is good point. But of course not all psychism is about fortune telling.

As for Nostradamus I believe its just a series of statements that will all come true at some stage...if man doesn't wipe himself / herself out first.
That's a point Psychics whens the end of the world?

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Earthscum
I saw the 9-11 event in '95... I just didn't know that the images I saw in my head were that literal, and thought nothing of it until about 2 years ago.

BTW, I hope nobody is offended by my explanations of rituals, but it's the truth. We all have rituals... if I don't get up and make coffee right before work, it throws my whole focus off and takes me longer to get into 'work mode'. I can survive without it, but it has become a ritual so I can get in the state of mind to be able to drag my butt into work and deal with my boss before I even step foot out my front door

Yea but your 911 experience could be due to an embellished memory of the events you believe you perceived. I mean think about 2 years ago you remembered something that you perceived 8 years previous to that date and related it to something that happened 3 years previous.

Maybe you did in some way connect with some futuristic vision of the future but did not have the ability to interpret it then. Or maybe your mind is selective. Who knows. Thing is as the thread title says whats the point in these powers. It is like giving someone half a warning.

As for rituals yea I think humans need them. Even if its just a visit to the supermarket. Some though are borderline compulsive disorder IMHO.....

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Ha ha,I heer you about the morning coffee,I am the same way,can't even think properly until I get that first cup

so if you really saw the 9-11 event,why would you not try to warn someone like the police or the newspapers,Then who knows,possibly some one could have had enough warning to investigate further and possibly prevent those insane scum bags from hijacking the planes?

See now many people say the same as you but way after the fact,That's why I will never believe in most psychics.

Yea. They are always wise after the event. But I wonder if its just our western cultures? I mean did anyone in WW2 Japan say after Hiroshima I dreamt that last Thursday?

Thing is as you say would they inform the authorities?
And the fact is that busy, boring non psychical people don't have time to sit around and investigate the possibilities and probabilities. They need hard facts. Psychic powers are not concrete enough for anyone to make a qualified judgement.

In short would a career civil servant risk his or her job in the belief that a psychic told them. Even some extremely good so called psychics I have encountered would only claim about 80% hit rate. I would not risk my career on it, or would they for sure.

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher

Originally posted by something smells
If they really exist what is the point of paranormal / psychic powers?

What do you mean by the word "point"?....

..............."What is the point?"

The point for me is you are going to believe what your opinion permits you to believe. The point is for me that the truth of the point cannot be given, only experienced.

Thanks for the thread. And, YES, i truly did like the questions.

thanks,
john

You ask me what is the point then answer yourself. The point I refer to I suppose is the purpose or reason for the powers. Nature gives things for a reason don't you think.

Liked the rest of the post. My mind has been opened but I got over it. You people always presume that an anti stance is proof of ignorance.
What I write here is a fraction of what is going on and has been going on in my mind.

I have taught nothing but am learning every day. Learning and questioning will be the death of psychism I believe. It was for me

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I do believe that many who claim to be psychic are not, but also believe that sometimes unusual things can occur - things for which we do not yet have "rational" explanations.

Several times in my life I have had precognitive dreams. I have dreams of events that later actually take place - events over which I could have no possible control. While I don't claim to be psychic, I would say that precognitive dreaming might fall under the definition of psychic ability. I have spent years looking for other explanations for my experiences, but I can find none.

I can't dream about every single event that will ever take place and I can't dream "on demand" but I know what has happened to me seems to be somewhat paranormal.

I think that to say that a psychic must see every important event might not be the way to look at this. (As in: if a psychic didn't see 9-11 then they aren't psychic.) That would be like saying that there are no such things as baseball players, because a real baseball player would hit the ball one hundred percent of the time.

As for the point to it? I don't know. I don't what the point is in having green eyes, or brown hair. I don't know why we have gall bladders when people can be just fine without them. During a recent x-ray of my right foot, a doctor discovered that I have two extra bones in that foot. He said that this happens in a small percentage of the population. He doesn't know what the point of these extra bones could be.

Could it be possible that just because we don't know the point in something doesn't mean that there isn't one? Could it be that just because something seems pointless isn't enough to prove that it doesn't exist?

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Something Smells, I really do appreciate your thread. It is a good topic. It really is. The opinion of many people out there is a lot like what you have stated. I totally understand why people get frustrated on both sides of the fence. The people who have had these experiences, have seen their proof. For most, after seeing that proof, they dive into the books, the internet, what ever they can so that they can get more information on it. They -at first - desperatly seek what the skeptics seek, physical proof. Then some of them try desperatly to either ignore it or reason it away, because they are afraid that they are going insane. After a while they finaly just accept it. They have seen too much proof for themselves to believe otherwise. They know it is real. They have seen the proof. Then they get to deal with skeptics. People who say they are full of it, or belong in a mental ward. Beings that these people know it is true, they try their hardest to prove it to the skeptics. But how does one prove the sky is blue to a bliind man? He is either going to believe what he is told and what he reads, or he's not. There is no way to physically proove it to him. I think that is why some seem to come off as arrogent, but try not to confuse arrogent with frustration.

Fact of the matter is, the people who have the gifts, are simply tired of trying to prove it to others. They know as a fact that it is true. They have seen it, they have had to deal with it, and they know they are not alone. When it comes right down to it, thats all that really matters.

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Okay, why has everyone pretty much ignored what I said earlier? I think it'd be best if I repeat myself, in big bold letters so it catches everyone's attention.

WE CAN'T CHOOSE WHAT WE 'SEE' COMING, WE CAN ONLY WORK WITH WHAT WE GET.

So what if no Psychics saw 9/11 coming, that's certainly not their fault. When I see the future, it just happens to me, and whenever I try to do it forcefully, the message gets messed up in the process and I get a jumble of words or images that don't mean anything. I've long since stopped trying to force the information out, because I know that it will be wrong.

I think it's worth repeating:

WE CAN'T CHOOSE WHAT WE 'SEE' COMING, WE CAN ONLY WORK WITH WHAT WE GET.

And that's why no Psychic saw 9/11 coming, because whatever source we get the information from didn't think to tell us. It's certainly not our fault if we didn't see something coming, because we aren't sent the information on time. Who knows, maybe some Psychic out there did see 9/11 coming, but maybe they didn't have enough time to react to the information given to them.

Maybe by the time they had figured out what the images meant, it was too late to stop anything from happening. I've had that happen to me before, and that's REALLY frustrating, but it is possible.

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   
In my opinion, dubious as it may be, every human being on this planet has psychic abilities. No-one is left without such means which, while they are misunderstood and ignored by most in their daily grind to provide food, clothing and shelter, nevertheless wait in some corner of the mind to manifest itself.

The usual response is unbelief and denial because;

1) you can't prove anything
2) people will think you're nuts
3) it's easy to ignore
4) it's better to keep it to yourself

There is more to this than meets the 'third eye'

If there is nothing to psychic ability, then I suppose all prayer is useless and all visions by the prophets are lies.

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I wonder if it's possible that we all have a sense of the short term future,like we can sense something bad just a minute in the future or a few seconds.Can we get a bad feeling just seconds before a car crash?I think I have felt that before.The reason I wonder is because of a spider on a wall can sometimes react to danger before any danger actually happens.I thought that was just a spiderman Myth but I saw it happen.I wanted to crush a spider on a wall that was sitting there for god knows how long.When I thought about doing it the spider suddenly took off like lightning.It felt the danger from me but I never even moved.Totally Amazing!

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 01:11 AM
link   

I wanted to crush a spider on a wall that was sitting there for god knows how long.When I thought about doing it the spider suddenly took off like lightning.It felt the danger from me but I never even moved.Totally Amazing!

If a person decides it is an impossible phenomenon, and strictly coincidental, then they have forfieted the phenomenon from even being a possibility. And consciously this is how they will view it, sometimes even critically and in a harsh manner.

I believe there is a mechanism within the mind that has the intentions of remaining true to ourselves. I believe this same mechanism also binds consciousness together, and through time itself. Delve into hardcore science and world "famous" quantum physicists and see what they are saying what "matter" is, and then think of questions you would like to have answered, and look for those answers.

I am sure of things that are true for me no matter what may oppose my internal truths. However, i do not want to limit the potential growing within others, so i do not always devulge in full my own truth.

Sometimes so called "psychics" are sensitive enough to only get pieces of incoming information. And when they realize what it meant, and it was too late, they often feel overwhelmed by guilt of knowledge before hand, but they did not know how to act upon their little piece of information.

And who do they go to for insight into how to better focus their "gift" without ridicule and criticism from insensitive people who do not even comprehend the level of guilt they endure for not knowing how to use their "gift" in a more productive manner.

Yes, we are all unique. But I refuse to believe the skills we are discussing in this thread are somehow limited to a select few. I'm convinced the concepts being discussed in this thread are embedded and available to all. But perhaps are "locked" and gaurded within??

just some thoughts.

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 07:24 AM
link   
there is no point to psychic paranormal powers.

the point is to become aware of the all over existing psychic action in humans.

Every one's a psychic subconsciously, but it is to become conscious, aware of these powers that is the thing.

Those who claim they don't exist, are just those who don't recognize them, haven't been aware of them. Their are too troubled in their own mind, there is no order in it.

God is paranormal, God is psychic.

"God sees all", so in your mind, connected with 'God', you can perceive all. Remote viewing. therefore, God knows all, all that is known to Him, one can know. Offcourse this in a way it wont harm yourself for knowing it. It's a process, steps at a time.

The best 'psychic' power, is the power of healing. imo

Subconsciously one perceives a lot, it is to become aware of what you perceive that does it. When further advanced, one can ask for knowledge.

remember: all that you ask shall be given to you!

It is to become aware of 'the now', lots are stuck in lineairy time, an illusion, something that not exists in fact. This illusion shall be unveiled by the dawn of this new Golden age, the age of aquarius, it has allready taken place. Lots will become aware, aware of us being what is still called 'paranormal' beings. This term will stay for as long as we don't see ourselves in that way, well hm, it may stay afterwards too, nice name.

God sees all, human: remote viewing(at distance)clairvoyancy(in the now/your surrounding), hears all, human: clairaudiency, therefore he knows all, all that is can be given to you due to Him.

Awake, become AWARE OF! Then speak your mind!

greets

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
you'd probably find that many of these people have no clue why they experience what they do and more often or not they choose to hide or not confess the full extent of their experiences.

I'll agree with you on that. It certainly is an experiential thing. If you can experience it, you're a believer. If not, too bad for you. You stay a nonbeliever until you become an experiencer.

Personally, the point of being an experiencer is the advantage one can gain in the 3D world by getting 'insider' info. on certain issues that would normally be difficult/impossible to attain via mundane means. That isn't the only benefit but it sure is enough to keep one practicing.

Ohhhh yeahhh. (with full exuberance)

See you folks in the new year!

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
Science at the present time still cannot explain a lot of things that happens in nature. If you are aware of the phenomenon that occurs in Quantum-Physics, why would it be so difficult to understand that other phenomenon is also taking place? Especially something that the science community for the most, refuses looking into?

I am aware of quantum phenomena but like everyone else I would be lying if I said I understand it.

Its not so much other phenomena taking place that I have difficulty understanding, its peoples belief in most of these so called paranormal powers without tangible proof. Mankind does not know all that there is and we are certainly a long way from understanding quantum physics..if it can ever be really understood

I do not come to my conclusions lightly. I had some belief and believed in the dawning of some ability. But once I concluded that it could be merely a delusion of my mind, that was more or less the end of it, for me.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join