It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunset over mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Picture Hyperlink:
www.nasa.gov...

Large Picture (Dial-up User Warning) but makes a nice desktop

[edit on 12/8/2006 by a1ex]

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Thanks for the picture. I did copy it to my desktop btw.
It looks a bit apocalyptic doesn't it?

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   
The link didn't work for me

How come?

jra

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I've always loved that image. One of my favorites.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Now that you mention it it does look 'dark'

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I loved this image too. I made it a desktop a few months back but have since replaced it with the hypersaturated moon photo, which is also stunning.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
That's awesome looking

second line..

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Wow, the sun looks so far away from what were used to.

Thanks for the link

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   
It'd be cool to visit Mars.

Just a big open planet, looking for anything you can find, not knowing what you'll find.

I wonder if sometime in my lifetime there will be tourist trips to Mars.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
have since replaced it with the hypersaturated moon photo, which is also stunning.

link please?

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Some posters on previous closed thread ( on this topic ) asked if the image in question is true colour and thus basically if a blue sky is to be expected on Mars.

If the Martian atmosphere were to be completely cleansed of dust, the daytime sky would appear blue, just as our own sky, because of Rayleigh scattering by the molecules (primarily carbon dioxide molecules) which make up the atmosphere. Pictures from the Hubble Space Telescope in the early 1990s suggested that the Martian atmosphere had much less dust loading than in the Viking years. So perhaps the Martian sky was closer to blue than in the Viking years(or perhaps the Hubble Space Telescope was inaccurate on this matter until repairs were completed in February 1997). However, Mars Pathfinder pictures in 1997 showed essentially the same sky color and dust loading as the Viking landers in 1976.

calspace.ucsd.edu...

So given the mentioned conditions we should not in fact expect all those red sky pictures we are so used to seeing.

Stellar

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
so why were old pictures so red? cycles of more dust in the atmosphere, poor quality photos, nasa covering up a more earth-like mars?

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Made a nice wallpaper ;]

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by beerbaron105
so why were old pictures so red?

Well according to some insiders the very first pictures where in fact of blue skies at which point one of the NASA administrators started walking by all the monitors and changing the hue to what we have come to know. The person in question then started turning it back to the original colour at which point he got a very stern warning to leave stuff alone. As i remember this is not just any old rumour either...

cycles of more dust in the atmosphere, poor quality photos,

Both may play a part in some photo's having the quality we have seen but on the whole the quality should not be nearly as bad or the sky as 'red'.

nasa covering up a more earth-like mars?

This is pretty widely accepted now as even major media outlets are now reporting on this tampering...

Stellar

top topics

join